48 Photos - Mar 30, 2012
Photo: Postmarked 1906Photo: No datePhoto: no datePhoto: Published by Austin & Clontz. Durwood Barbour Collection of NC postcards, North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives, Wilson Library, UNC-Chapel HillPhoto: Photo: Photo: Circa 1910. NC Postcard Collections.Photo: Photo: Photo: Postmarked 1913Photo: Circa 1905-1915.Photo: Circa 1930-1945Photo: Photo: Postmarked 1934Photo: 1915-1930Photo: 1930-45. Monroe, N.C., the county seat of Union County, leads the state in poultry, small grain and hay. It is the trading center for a large area of both North and South Carolina. Dixie News Company, Charlotte, N.C. Photo by Jack Dickerson.Photo: circa 1909Photo: Postmarked 1911Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Postmarked 1917Photo: circa 1913Photo: Publisher W.J. Rudge Co., Monroe, NCPhoto: 1908Photo: 1908Photo: Baptist ChurchPhoto: 1905-1915Photo: John D. Hodges -  Postmark 1915Photo: Walter BickettPhoto: postmark 1912Photo: Photo: 1940sPhoto: Central Methodist Church was organized as Monroe Methodist station in 1844. The first church building was on the SE corner of Church and Windsor Streets, which they sold in 1873 and then built a new structure at the NW corner of Windsor and Hayne Streets.  This photo is of the third building which was used from 1902-1969. The present church is known as Central United Methodist Church.
postmark 1909Photo: First Baptist - postmark 1908Photo: Postmark 1909 - Lee's Mill - Dam constructed 1927Photo: Main Street - postmark 1909Photo: Main Street 1909Photo: The overhead bridge linked Church Street and Winchester Avenue above the Seaboard railroad tracks. It was torn down in the 1950’s when the Skyway bridge was built.  Postcard postmarked 1913.Photo: Post Office 1909Photo: 1915postmark - 316 East Windsor St. (now the site of the public library). This house was built about 1910. Judge Amos M. Stack (1863-1937) married Charity Prather (1869-1923) in 1892.
They moved to this site in Monroe in 1899 with their first 4 children. About 10 years later they moved that house down the hill next door and built this home. The old house was moved in two parts to get around a big walnut tree.Photo: Postmarked 1893 - John D. Stewart operated a brickyard on Lancaster Avenue in Monroe (between the present Johnson and Bragg Streets). In 1875, he built a 3-story brick hotel, called Stewart House, on the east side of the 100 block north. Parts of it are still in use, although the third floor was removed after a fire in the 1920'sPhoto: Postmark 1910 - In 1906, the Seaboard Air Line Railway secured land on which to build both a freight depot and passenger depot. Cost was expected to be $60,000.Photo: Postmarked 1912Photo: Postmark 1931Photo: Main Street 1898Photo: Postmark 1909 - This was the 2nd building to house the Monroe First Presbyterian Church, which was built in 1901, and was used until a new structure was built in 1968.