41 Photos - Jan 30, 2014
Photo: two green batteries are house bank and blue battery is starterPhoto: damage done by past battery acid spill.  Note old wood shelf pieces in battery box up and left.Photo: To better deal with the issue I cut away the quarterberth deck.  In this image I m experimenting with the location of new quarterberth bulkheads and various objectsPhoto: I elected to place the starter battery forward in this area, the engine raw water intake/strainer aft, and place the house bank further forward in the vessel.  Here I am dry fitting 1/2" plywood bulkhead  that will separate the raw water intake aft and the starter battery forward.Photo: New partial bulk head tabbed in below quarter berth deck with layers of 1708 cloth. Note handle of new engine raw water seacock is visible just aft of new bulk head.Photo: Forward quarterberth lockers with two coats of primer and one top coat applied. Vertical cleats are for future dividers in the lockers.Photo: Progress on the lower, quarterberth dividers & shelves - It all fits!  Note that I left plenty of room for future wires to the electrical panel by placing the starter battery and tool box on a shelf.  There is a cut out outboard and aft of tool box shelf to allow room for wires.Photo: fabricating a new section of quarterberth deck.Photo: test fitting new quarterberth deck piecesPhoto: painting new quarterberth deckingPhoto: new decking installed in quarterberth.  To keep accidental spills away from starter battery, I did not cut a finger hole into the deck over the battery.Photo: Looking aft at new quarterberth lockers.  Note cleats and strap the keep starter battery secured.Photo: Installing 12V primary wiring and components at Nav StationPhoto: Locker under nav station seat contains starter battery, battery & bilge pump management panel, and automatic charge relay (ACR) for start battery.Photo: New switch panel mounted below nav station bench seat.  New deck scupper pumbing in background.Photo: Future house  battery locker is forward of galley. The site is originally occupied by drawer & small locker.Photo: The drawer and divider between drawer & locker will be remived.Photo: Clearing out the space for the house battery box.Photo: locker floor removed - fuel tank, pan, and bilge access visiblePhoto: testing layout of batteriesPhoto: fresh paint in the new battery box area.Photo: used battery box in it's original configurationPhoto: Now for my next trick.Photo: glassing up the missing panel of the battery new box.Photo: ready to begin glassing together the pieces of the new battery boxPhoto: using a portable heater to speed curing of epoxy on cool Feberuary dayPhoto: bottom joint on new box.Photo: house bank battery box complete & painted.Box has space for six 6V batteries = 660AHPhoto: Pilgrim Battery Box with four of six batteries installed.Photo: New battery box with four 6V batteries plus a spacer on left occuping space for two additional 6V batteries.Photo: laying out wiring components to be mounted on side of battery box.  From left to right... shunt for battery monitor, battery bank on/off switch, and ANL fuse holder.Photo: fabricating a mounting board for the house bank's DC shunt, switch, and ANL Fuse.Photo: creating ventilation for the salon battery locker.Photo: Re-used face from original drawer under salon seat to provide access to house bank on/off switch and fuse.Photo: House bank DC Shunt, On/Off Switch, and 300A ANL Fuse accessible via cabinet door below salon seat.Photo: Fitting 1/2" stainless all thread rod across the top of the house battery bank.Photo: foreward nuts on all house battery bank retaining barsPhoto: Fasteners for house battery bank retaining bars located below galley sinkPhoto: Looking down on completed house battery bank.   Plan to increase size by two additional batteries prior to departing on extended travels.Photo: port side lid on house battery bank.Photo: both lids on house battery bank