6 Photos - Nov 11, 2008
Photo: Three Cutting boards and a trivet. Making cutting boards is sort of silly. Pier One sells many different styles for $7 that use exotic wood. If you have a special need they are relatively easy little projects.Photo: Drawing a nice ellipse of a given size is an interesting mathematical puzzle. The standard trick is to trace using a loop of string between the two nails. See http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/e/d/edwin222/ellipsefoci.htm See Also Wikipedia Ellipse. I wanted to use as much of the existing piece of wood, so I worked out that nails 4” apart and a loop of string 9” (18” total) gives an ellipse 10” X 6”. The edge is relieved with a router 14” radius round over. Finish is raw.Photo: This leaf motif was from WoodWorker’s magazine. First cut strips of various widths. Glue up into a rectangle, alternating colors. Sand the surface. Cut the rectangle on the diagonal. Then pad saw the two identical mirror image halves with a band saw into a pretty leaf shape. Edge sand with a drum. Groove and spline the mating edges. Glue the two halves together. The original design called for a contrasting strip down the middle. Once I stooped trying to do that I was able to finish the project. This was my first time using two-part waterproof glue. Good stuff, but messy and impossible to clean up with soap and water! Finish is too many thick coats of polyurethane, not enough sanding. I am still learning. This cutting board only cost about 10X what a store bought one would. And took years to finish, but I did finish it.Photo: This trivet started out as a, “let me see what I can whip up for before the party this afternoon” project. It is cut from a single piece of pine using a dado cutting more than ½ the thickness from each side. This sort of repetitive incremental cutting is made much easier by Incra jigs. I used a jig that cuts each groove the same distance from its neighbor. So any error accumulates. The dado was a bit of a disappointment, since it does not leave a nice flat bottom. The chippers in the middle are not the same diameter as the edge cutters. A router bit would do a better job. The project ended being too much work, and not nice enough to let someone else have it. It is a little better than the projects that your kids bring home from school, that you cannot bear to throw out. It is functional, in pinch. Next time I will use a router, smaller grooves and nice wood, or go to Pier One.Photo: This simple TV stand was made from poplar, an inexpensive easy to work and finish hardwood. A few design details improve the result from a peach crate, to something nice. It was sized slightly narrower than the table to minimize the chance of being pushed off the edge. The bottom shelf adds strength, and safety should the stand be bumped. Anything that relieves the abundant straight lines and 90-degree angles makes for a nicer result. Here the sides end with a round top. The semi-circle is centered slightly above the top shelf, which softens the straight line there. The front lip (of poplar) on each shelf is finished with a small quarter arch at each end. This softens the line and hides the cleats that supports for each shelf. It also hides the different wood used for th shelf. The joints are all butt, with glue and screws. Next time I would use a stopped dado in the front, or biscuits. Failing to pre-drill the screw holes caused one side to split. In spite of this, it is a piece we continue to use.Photo: Kathryn did the needlepoint, from a Better Homes & Gardens pattern that was 95% of the work. I finished the frame, which came with the kit. The clock motor has been replaced once to radio controlled clock. Then back to a regular quartz. The cranberry motif is pretty unique. We did it together BC (before children) and still like it.