465 Photos - Feb 26, 2008
Photo: Photo: CIS:E.208:2115-1994Photo: Fourbeck's Bridge monument - SaidapetPhoto: Fourbeck's Bridge monument - SaidapetPhoto: Central stationPhoto: EsplandePhoto: OLD MADRAS COLLECTIONPhoto: Marina beachPhoto: OLD MADRAS COLLECTIONPhoto: Mount roadPhoto: Mylapore - kapaleeswarar templePhoto: Beach road - Napier bridgePhoto: EsplanadePhoto: Pycrofts raod - Triplicane - MadrasPhoto: High court MadrasPhoto: Theatre - CasinoPhoto: Kasturi buildings - The HinduPhoto: Head post officePhoto: The Mail building - MadrasPhoto: Moore marketPhoto: Pachaiappas collegePhoto: Munroe statuePhoto: Gold smiths - MadrasPhoto: Ladies MadrasPhoto: Hotel ConnemaraPhoto: Chepauk palace - beach roadPhoto: Theatre - New globe - Where is this now ?Photo: OLD MADRAS COLLECTIONPhoto: Bank of MadrasPhoto: Inside Chennai HarbourPhoto: Egmore railway stationPhoto: Ambulance service in MadrasPhoto: Interior of Bank of MadrasPhoto: Car showroom in MadrasPhoto: Kothwalchawadi marketPhoto: Beach road - Napier bridgePhoto: Mylapore - Kapaleeswarar telmple festivalPhoto: OLD MADRAS COLLECTIONPhoto: Market in MadrasPhoto: Ad released in HinduPhoto: Note issued by Bank of MadrasPhoto: Bentinck buildingPhoto: Mylapore - Kapaleeswarar temple festivalPhoto: Fort st. GeorgePhoto: Connemara libiraryPhoto: OLD MADRAS COLLECTIONPhoto: Royapuram railway station - 1853-The first railway line in the south, linking Chennai to Arcot, is laid. It is opened on July 1, 1856. The Royapuram Station, from which trains chugged out at that time, is the city's first railway station.Photo: Spencer & co - Now - Spencer's plazaPhoto: Mount roadPhoto: Rippon buildingPhoto: Mount roadPhoto: OLD MADRAS COLLECTIONPhoto: Bank of Arbuthnot - Today - HSBC in Rajaji SalaiPhoto: Madras club - Cosmo club - House of MowbraysPhoto: Emden monument
http://ta.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%AE%8E%E0%AE%AE%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%9F%E0%AE%A9%E0%AE%BF%E0%AE%A9%E0%AF%8D_%E0%AE%AE%E0%AE%A4%E0%AE%B0%E0%AE%BE%E0%AE%9A%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%95%E0%AF%8D_%E0%AE%95%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A3%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%9F%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AF%8D_%E0%AE%A4%E0%AE%BE%E0%AE%95%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%95%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AE%B2%E0%AF%8DPhoto: Spencer & co - Now - Spencer's plazaPhoto: Theospical society - AdayarPhoto: Chepauk stadiumPhoto: Interior of Refreshment stall in Egmore railway stationPhoto: Egmore railway station - Pillars inside the stationPhoto: Southern railway head quarters building-1922-The Southern Railway Headquarters building is opened. This grey edifice is one of the city's most impressive examples of Indo-Saracenic architecture.Photo: Munroe statuePhoto: Madras HarbourPhoto: High court MadrasPhoto: Madras harbourPhoto: Car showroom in MadrasPhoto: Old map of MadrasPhoto: Egmore Railway stationPhoto: Central stationPhoto: Central stationPhoto: Central StationPhoto: Wallajah MosquePhoto: High court MadrasPhoto: Esplanade MadrasPhoto: Beach roadPhoto: Mount roadPhoto: Fort st george - St mary's churchPhoto: Presidency college-1840-Presidency College begins. This initially started as a preparatory school.Then it became the city's first college.Photo: Rippon building -1913-Ripon building (named after a former Viceroy) is built at a cost of Rs 7,50,000/- by  P. Loganatha Mudaliar. This 252-feet long building, in dazzling white is, the headquarters of the Chennai Corporation today.Photo: OLD MADRAS COLLECTIONPhoto: Fort st george - St Mary's ChurchPhoto: Tram in MadrasPhoto: Central stationPhoto: Dare house - Parry & coPhoto: Madras club - Cosmo club - House of MowbraysPhoto: Higginbothams - 1844 - Librarian Abel Joshua Higginbotham establishes Higginbothams. This chain of bookshops is not only one of the oldest, but also one of the largest network of bookshops in the country.Photo: Note issued by Bank of MadrasPhoto: Note issued by Bank of MadrasPhoto: Note issued by Bank of MadrasPhoto: Movie posterPhoto: Mount road-Mount Road or Anna Salai as it is called today is one of the key arteries of Madras, connecting virtually two ends of the city - Fort St George and St Thomas Mount. It was supposedly built in 1795 by the British for the army to move easily between these two points and old pictures show this stretch as a beautiful avenue lined with trees It starts off as on a little island near Fort St George on the Cooum creek and leads to the highway that takes one directly to the tip of India to Cape Camorin.The statue of Thomas Munro, one of the Governors of the Madras Presidency stands almost at the entrance of the club . During the British period, this was the entertainment hub . Clubs, churches, movie halls, restaurants, icecream parlours and shops were the key landmarks here.Photo: Theatre - Misquith & Co first theatre of MadrasPhoto: Movie posterPhoto: Mount roadPhoto: Loyola college -1925 -The most renowned Catholic college in the city - Loyola College, is founded by a Jesuit priest - Rev. Fr Francis Bertram S. J.Photo: Madras Christian collegePhoto: Victory house-Swadeshi Mithran's office-Mount roadPhoto: TriplicanePhoto: Parthasarathy temple - Car festivalPhoto: Parthasarathy templePhoto: Refreshment stallPhoto: De Angelis hotel - First hotel of Madras - Now- Bata showroom Mt. RoadPhoto: De Angelis hotel - First hotel of Madras - Now- Bata showroom Mt. RoadPhoto: Head post officePhoto: Meat market MadrasPhoto: St George Cathedral-Built-1815 - This cathedral has a 140 feet high spire. The road on which this cathedral stands is called - The Cathedral Road.Photo: Govt house - Mount road - Now - Omandurar govt estatePhoto: parthasarathy templePhoto: Parthasarathy templePhoto: Parthasarathy templePhoto: OLD MADRAS COLLECTIONPhoto: George town - Black townPhoto: Fort st.GeorgePhoto: George town - Black townPhoto: George town - Black town - MadrasPhoto: Customs house MadrasPhoto: Ice house - Now - Vivekanandar housePhoto: Fort st George -Cornwallis monumentPhoto: light house oldPhoto: George town - Black townPhoto: Raj BhavanPhoto: St Thomas mount - foot hillsPhoto: St Andrews church Egmore Madras-1821-St Andrew's Kirk, Egmore, is consecrated. The 170-feet spire of this church surmounts a circular nave and a dome that rests on 16 ionic pillars.Photo: St Andrews church Egmore Madras-1821-St Andrew's Kirk, Egmore, is consecrated. The 170-feet spire of this church surmounts a circular nave and a dome that rests on 16 ionic pillars.Photo: Madras HarbourPhoto: Madras - streetPhoto: Vepery churchPhoto: Carpenters of MadrasPhoto: Rice cleaning MadrasPhoto: Rice cleaningPhoto: Wesley church MadrasPhoto: Santhome CathedralPhoto: Theospical society - AdayarPhoto: Petras coja - Armenian philantherapist monumentPhoto: Vepery churchPhoto: Brodies castle - greenways road- Thendral Bunglow nowPhoto: MadrasPhoto: Loyola collegePhoto: Loyola collegePhoto: Loyola collegePhoto: Loyola collegePhoto: Boundry of Chennai esplanadePhoto: Kalki gardens - Earlier Sladen gardens - Kilpauk -were MS & Kalki Sadasivam livedPhoto: Karl Schmidt monument - Besant nagar beachPhoto: Fort st george - St Mary's ChurchPhoto: HigginbothamsPhoto: Central railway stationPhoto: Madras - StreetPhoto: Madras - StreetPhoto: Madras - StreetPhoto: Madras - StreetPhoto: Madras - StreetPhoto: Madras - StreetPhoto: Madras - StreetPhoto: Presidency collegePhoto: Bullock bandyPhoto: Toddy fetcherPhoto: Movie poster1Photo: St George CathedralPhoto: Madras clubPhoto: Cenotaph MadrasPhoto: Mount roadPhoto: Madras medical collegePhoto: Cenotaph mount roadPhoto: St Thomas mountPhoto: Kasturi buildings - The HinduPhoto: Madras- StreetPhoto: Dare house - Parry & coPhoto: Madras - streetPhoto: Hotel ConnemaraPhoto: Theatre - New globe - Where is this now ?Photo: Post office MadrasPhoto: St Thomas Mount ChurchPhoto: Mylapore - Kapaleeswarar temple TankPhoto: notice board in marina beachPhoto: Madras - StreetPhoto: Madras - StreetPhoto: Madras - StreetPhoto: Pachaiappas collegePhoto: Fort st.George - Flag mastPhoto: Tram in MadrasPhoto: Chepauk palace - Now PWD office - Beach roadPhoto: St Thomas mount - foot hillsPhoto: Queen Mary's college - 1914 -Capper House at Marina opens its doors to 37 women students to become the first college for women in the city. From 1917 onwards this college has been known as the Queen Mary's College.Photo: Madras Railway company - Capital stock documentPhoto: Bharat Insurance building - Mount roadPhoto: Victoria public hallPhoto: Victoria public hallPhoto: De Angelis hotel - First hotel of Madras - Now- Bata showroom Mt. RoadPhoto: Commissioner of Police office - Egmore MadrasPhoto: Senate house - University of Madras-1879-Senate House was opened to University students. Robert Chisholm built this Byzantine-styled structure.Photo: Theospical society - AdayarPhoto: Boundary of Esplanade Madras- Monument present outside 
Dare house building - Parry's cornerPhoto: The Hindu - 1883 issue - When it got converted as TRIWEEKLYPhoto: THE HINDU - June 21 -1881 issuePhoto: Connemara LibiraryPhoto: PWD Building - Beach road - Build 1865Photo: Madras Eye Infirmary - Egmore eye hospitalPhoto: Madras Eye Infirmary - Egmore eye hospitalPhoto: Madras Eye Infirmary - Egmore eye hospitalPhoto: Madras Eye Infirmary - Egmore eye hospitalPhoto: Madras Eye Infirmary - Egmore eye hospitalPhoto: P.Orr & Sons - Mount road-Peter Orr started P. Orr and Sons, which has been the city's traditional timekeeper for decades. This showroom and the three-faced clock tower, built in 1873, are city landmarks even today.Photo: Robert Chisholm- English architect  who designed and built many land mark buildings in Madras.Photo: Chepauk PalacePhoto: Club house - First house of Madras club ( Express estates) - Club house road - Mount roadPhoto: Branson bagh - Second house of Madras club - Mount road - Location - Saffire theatre & Khivraj mansionPhoto: Capper & Pentland house- Beach roadPhoto: Garden house- Kilpauk-hadley's gardenPhoto: Clive house- Ashoka Mithran - Vasan's housePhoto: Statue of KingPhoto: Rajaji Hall Built 1802 -Originally intended to be a Banquet Hall, the architecture of the building shows strong Greek-temple styling.Photo: China Bazaar road - MadrasPhoto: Great wall of Madras.Photo: Warwick electric theatre - Inside mount road GPOPhoto: Gaiety theatre - Oldest exisiting cinema theatre in Chennai - Built 1914Photo: The Hindu building side viewPhoto: Gemini studiosPhoto: St George school = PH RoadPhoto: DGP's office - Masonic MansionPhoto: Club house - Club house road- off Mount roadPhoto: Doveton house - inside WCC.Photo: Cosmopoliton Club -MadrasPhoto: Portuguese church -George townPhoto: First teachers' training college, set up in India in 1856-Saidapet-Charles Todhunter established the first Teacher's Training College in the city. This is one of the oldest teacher's training institutions in Asia.Photo: Triplicane High road - 1905Photo: Gantz & Co - Booksellers - Broadway.Photo: My ladye's gardenPhoto: Wellesley house - Fort St George.Photo: Gokhale hall - YMIA - Armenian street- Built 1914Photo: Dar -e - Meher (Fire temple) - Parsi temple - Royapuram (built -1906-10).Photo: Spencers corner ( Mount road - madras) - Neil's status - Where is it now ?Photo: Victoria memorial hall - Egmore museumPhoto: King George V Statue MadrasPhoto: Chepauk PalacePhoto: Map of Madras 1746Photo: Madras Central Railway stationPhoto: Madras - View from the jettyPhoto: High court - MadrasPhoto: Teachers training college - SaidapetPhoto: Spencers & Co.Photo: Fort St.GeorgePhoto: Mount roadPhoto: Victoria public hallPhoto: Govt house -Guindy.Photo: Govt house & Banquetting hall -  Now Omandurar govt estate.Photo: Fort St GeorgePhoto: Esplanade - View from Madras harbourPhoto: Wallajah mosquePhoto: Madras clubPhoto: Light house - Inside High court MadrasPhoto: Ice house ( Vivekanandar house ) - Marina beachPhoto: Central Railway station.Photo: St Thomas mountPhoto: Madras club - Moubray's cupolaPhoto: Building inside fort St.GeorgePhoto: View of Madras harbourPhoto: View of Fort St George.Photo: Parthasarathy temple - TriplicanePhoto: Madras observatory - Nungambakkam.Photo: Anderson Church -Parry's- MadrasPhoto: Kilpauk water pumping station -Built 1870Photo: Corporation of Madras - Waterworks inaugraul stone.Photo: Portrait of Mr.Madley - Special Engineer -Corporation of Madras - Mastermind behind the organised drinking water supply for Madras.Photo: Armenian Church - Armenia street- MadrasPhoto: Bell tower inside Armenian Church - madrasPhoto: Dome of Armenian Church - MadrasPhoto: Madras PortPhoto: Fort St.George - MadrasPhoto: Parry's cornerPhoto: Kapaleeshwarar temple - Mylapore - MadrasPhoto: Bentinck building -MadrasPhoto: Port viewPhoto: Port view - Bentinck buildingPhoto: 1878-Buckingham Mills commences operations. In 1920, it was amalgamated with Carnatic Mills. Binny's eventually became the owners.Photo: Madras Veterinary College = 1903 = founded in Periamet by Lt Col. Dobbins. This is the first Veterinary College in the country to get University affiliation and grant degrees.Photo: Luz Church at Mylapore - Built 1516 AD, Madras. It is said that St.Thomas used to pray here while he was preaching at this part. This church is originally built by missionaries from Portugal.Photo: Bharathiyar Illam = Triplicane = House where Bharathiyar lived in Triplicane.Photo: Madras medical college - Started in 1835.Photo: Adyar Banyan tree.Photo: King George statue - Flower bazaar police station -SowcarpetPhoto: Connemara LibiraryPhoto: Statue inside Ripon Building.Photo: Street in Parry's cornerPhoto: Chettinadu palace -MadrasPhoto: Statue of King Edward VI - Opp The Hindu off - near Govt estate - Mount roadPhoto: Fort St GeorgePhoto: St Mary's Church - Fort St George.Photo: Clive building - Fort St.George.Photo: Clive building - Fort St George.Photo: Central railway station - Governer & His wife in Chariot.Photo: Triplicane big mosquePhoto: Monengar choultry.Photo: Hotel D AngeliesPhoto: Ad material of hotel D AngelisPhoto: Egmore Railway station & St.Andrews ChurchPhoto: Advertisement of Lawrence & Mayo - City's oldest opticiansPhoto: Hotel De Angelis - Garden restaurantPhoto: The Women's Christian College - MadrasPhoto: The Year 1994 marks the 200th anniversary of the College of Engineering, Guindy, Madras. Started as a Survey School in 1794, it was established as a College in 1859, and later as a technical University in 1978. The college has a long history and is one of the oldest Engineering Colleges in the country.Photo: NSC Bose road - ParrysPhoto: Victoria hall - Madras museumPhoto: Banqueting hall ( Rajaji hall )- Government house.Photo: Presidency college.Photo: Banqueting hall ( rajaji hall )  - Boat club- Government housePhoto: Madras Club.Photo: Chepauk palace.Photo: Government house.Photo: Customs house ( Bentick buildings ).Photo: Government hospital.Photo: Gordon woodroff & Co - Rajaji salai.Photo: Central railway station.Photo: Black town.Photo: Madras port - view from Rajaji salai.Photo: Santhome cathedral.Photo: Ripon buildings.Photo: Memorial hall - Built in memory of Sepoy mutiny.Photo: HIGH COURT - MADRASPhoto: CENTRAL STATION.Photo: Pachiyappas college - ( Now school ) - NSC Bose road - Parrys.Photo: Doveton Protestant college - Founded 1855 ( Now Doveton Corrie School ).Photo: King George V statue - Opp >Island grounds,Near war memorial.Photo: Madras Arsenal ( Palce were arms & ammunition stored ). Inside fort St.George.Photo: Doveton House - Women's Christian college - Estd 1915.Photo: Hotel - D'Angelis -Luggage lablePhoto: Advertisement from MadrasPhoto: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: GPO - Madras.Photo: Photo: The first recorded date of a car being in regular use in Madras is 1901. The car was owned by A J Yorke (as seen in Photograph : Photo courtesy : Bunty - Great gandson of Mr.Yorke), a director of Parry & Co. He drove it daily from Ben’s Gardens, Adyar, to Parry’s in ‘Black Town’.Photo: Buckinghan CanalPhoto: Street Scene - MadrasPhoto: Moore MarketPhoto: Central Railway stationPhoto: Beach Railway station & General Post office - Rajaji Salai - Madras.Photo: First Line beach road.Photo: High court - MadrasPhoto: Jatka bandi.Photo: Ripon Buildings - Corporation of Madras.Photo: Natve Huts - MadrasPhoto: Street Scene - MadrasPhoto: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: MAP OF PALLAVARAM.Photo: TRAM CAR - MADRASPhoto: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: OLD MADRAS COLLECTIONPhoto: The Cornwallis Cenotaph, once the centre of Madras Society, now stands facing the port.
Courtesy : www.thehinduimages.comPhoto: A panoramic view of the natural and forced drought cooling towers, near Basin Bridge at Madras.
Courtesy : www.hinduimages.comPhoto: The building on College Road, Nungambakkam, Madras where the office of the Director of Public Instruction is located since 1932.Photo: A view of Tambaram Santorium hospital.Photo: Armenian street, George Town, Madras, as seen in May 1963.Photo: Saint George's  Cathedral on Edward Elliots Raod, Chennai on the 150th Anniversary Celebration on January 6, 1966.Photo: The hostel building of Pachaiyappa's college, at Chetpat as seen from the railway line.Photo: Bird's eye view of old Madras. Ripon building,Victoria hall and part of Moore market.Photo: Esplanade - Madras.Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: ONCE PART OF THE CITYSCAPE One of the trams which had plied on the Madras streets for long can be seen in the middle of Mount Road.Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Presidency collegePhoto: Photo: Photo: The King Institute of Preventive medicine - A century old establishment. King Institute is situated on the bank of River Adyar, on a vast expanse of land, amidst plenty of greenery. It was established in 1899 and named after Lt. Col. W.G. King, the then Sanitary Commissioner of Madras Presidency.
The main objectives of the Institute encompass the following areas 

Preparation of Vaccines 
Bacterial and Viral diagnostics 
Academics and Research.Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Fort St.George BarracksPhoto: Madras Stock ExchangePhoto: Hotel D'AngelisPhoto: Suburban electric train from Beach station to Tambaram in 1931.Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: CIS:E.208:2119-1994Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: CIS:E.208:2126-1994Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: Photo: