BEGINNER's QUESTION POST. Thanks in advance to all those that help and bare with me. These questions may be simple to answer but I hope collectively this can help out a lot of people like me who are bit confused. Below is a list of 18 questions. Would appreciate your thoughts! :) Cheers
1. If I have a CAD file design (.slt?), can I determine how much filament it uses before printing? If so, how or what tells me?
2. With a makerbot, is there good support service with breaks, broken parts, etc? I've heard not?
3. Do all newer 'consumer' 3d printers accept a common file format? Is there a file format that will probably be the future norm? What is most common or widely accepted by printers?
4. What is a fair price/markup % to charge someone for a mockup prototype if they provide a ready to print file that they want to use your printer for? (I.e, custom designed chess piece)
5. What are the risks involved with scaling up or down designs? Why risky if keep same % proportions?
6. Can new consumer 3d printers simply accept a file and start or does it have to go through a closed system? (Think iTunes for closed system)
7. Can a 3d printer print multiple objects in same printing session (I.e, two chess pieces at same time, not connected.)
8. Clogging seems to be a common issue. How to unclog a PLA/ABS from burner.)
9. What are common physical dangers of operating a 3d printer (consumer models or makeshift models)?
10. If I have the proper .SLT downloaded onto my phone, can I easily use USB or wireless to printer or does it have to go through a closed software system that printer company made? (Let's say printer is a makerbot or cube)
11. What can you tell me about the ninja stretchy filament?
12. What is the current best marketplace for free and paid designs? Is there a hands down best place or is it just mixed opinion between thingiverse vs everything else?
13. If there was a polished marketplace with free and premium "ready to print” designs, would $1/ premiumdesign file seem fair to you? What about $5/month for (un)limited downloads?
14. What is biggest risks involved with using someone else's design file on your own printer?
15. Ever attend a 3d printers meet up? If so, what happens at these meet ups? What is best and worst/ boring part of these meet ups? What is expectations of the type of people who go?
16. How long to print an iPhone case? What standard or recommending filament would be used for that?
17. Any issues with pausing a print, changing color of filament, then continuing?
18. Any issues with eating or drinking out of finished ABS/PLA product?