Ok it has been 2 weeks officially now with my Google Glass. #glass #glassexplorers #googleglass #throughglass
Here's a list of 25 of my first impressions (bare with my typos and graphical errors... it is almost 1am and to some that is not late but when you have a toddler around it is):
1. I figured out that maybe my head has a preferred tilt to one side over the other. The first few days i was bothered b/c the HUD wasn't straight and level every time I looked at it.
2. I wants more voice commands. Why should I be constrained from doing at least some of the things I started out with voice but can't finish with it. I want to be able to delete a photo, cancel an item, go back, read aloud, play the video, and more using the same process I started it with.
3. Glass with class is important. There is really potential for some creepers out there, but then again it already is out there with the smartphones we carry anyway. A coworker spotted randomly some other glass explorer and sneakily took a picture of the glass explorer with her phone to show me.
4. Using Glass as a reliable bluetooth phone device is only good at home and low level of quiet. I know there is the ear piece but that thing is so huge in my ear it I can barely hear it. and that leads me to...
5. Volume... did I miss the part where you can control that?
6. Totally awesome that I just discovered I could play back youtube videos in the display... how I didn't put 2 and 2 together after you are able to record and watch the play back in there I'll never know. But its cool to know i can do something else while i'm getting nagged by the wife.
7. If you can't stand stares and attention, then a glass explorer is not what you want to be. If you don't like talking to strangers, then return them for now if you have them, or don't go out in public... but what good are they if glass can't help you out in life outside of your home or office.
8. Now I know what others are talking about when they feel like a rock star.... everyone cheeses at me when they realize what glass is. The best is when the really old mothers know more about it than their like 20s/30s kids.
9. Wish there was a zoom... but before that...
10. I need some sort of camera guide to let me know the barriers of where I am shooting. Every camera that we use nowadays whether film or digital has the rectangle viewfinder or electric viewfinder that shows us the limits of what we are about to focus on and shoot. Maybe make an insert spectacle that has the guidelines on them in front of your eyes. As an amateur photog I love the camera aspect of Glass but it is hard to always just use the imagination to determine where you are focusing. Or allow an option to turn on the display while you aim the shot and then release the shutter when ready. Yeah you can shoot multiple times, but i've learned with kids that you don't always get two shots.
11. Seriously impressed though with the quality of the photos. Before I jumped my GNex a few days ago, this made my gnex look like a toy camera quality wise even though they were the same Megapixel range.
12. I'll just say it now b/c I keep thinking to put it at the end but my mind keeps going back to it. The potential is just wow. The imagination is the biggest hurdles... that and knowing how to code for it or someone that does. All kinds of wearable tech will be the common place soon.... but yall know that. This is the vague and johnny obvious part of my first impressions.
13. Some people were envisioning something that was all ways on and in front of your eye giving you info all the time like a cyborg or android out of a michael bay movie ready to blow things up. I prefer that I have to look up and away to use it... I feel like its not even there. Although I've already had ghost glass syndrome a few times... I swear they were on my head even when I knew they weren't.
14. I can't wait until this can work without data from your phone.
15. The translate app doesn't work completely yet but when it does... game changer for travel. As someone who travels a lot this would be awesome if it could be paired with google translate and you can download a few languages to use offline when you travel abroad and don't have data access.
16. I've tried it twice... but I'm still afraid to wear my glass on the metro really. On the one hand most people still don't know what it is so there's less chance for snatch and run or forced theft (when it is out to the general public this will happen more).... but i don't know about taking that risk. Sure I travel on the subway openly with my phone, or tablet, or mp3 player, or e-reader, or even a laptop out.... but right now I can replace those openly and have a choice with what to replace it with if something happened. Sure I'd be sad about those things, but my glass also is probably worth those items combined. I'm still on the fence. But like some people say, the metro is the ideal place for glass when you want to read or do something else and check on status or msgs hands free.
17. Neck Strap? I know it is so 70s/80s but something to allow me to take them off my head for awhile and not in the pouch if i am on the go would be nice.
18. Charging stand. Totally needed. Anyone have a 3D printer I can borrow?
19. I need a search or a go to this day/time on the timeline function. Would be nice to have... instead of swiping the side of my head a lot. As a fellow glass explorer I know says "less of this.... and more awesome."
20. Is there an insurance plan? Can I put this on my homeowners insurance? Just checking.
21. As a parent this is still so awesome. I wish I had these two years ago when my first child was born. The first time you held your child in your arms from your perspective.... yes the memories are still awesome, but wouldn't that be cool to watch and show your grandkids? Also imagine in the future when all your kids and kids' kids have them you can turn on the video call and find out where they really are.... lil jimmy's parents didn't turn their house over night into a raging party at a warehouse.
22. I need to think harder how this can help and be applied to my everyday job with international trade. But as an avid amateur photographer I can't wait to use this in conjunction with a shoot. Until then, anyone want to do like a photo project/challenge together?
23. Oh and the social aspect... it needs an update to allow you to post a text only status update directly to your accounts without a picture. That would be great.
24. the sports/fitness aspect is gonna be great. It's got this thing at http://invite.lynxfit.com/
that's gonna be cool. But the hardware still needs to be tweeked a lil more... i think they might think about an "active" version of the hardware down the line.
25. Awesome sauce. Everytime I put on my glass it drips awesome sauce all over me. I'm glad to be able to get in on the explorer program. So awesome. I feel like this every time I put them on.http://static3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120115083428/teentitans/images/2/2a/Cyborg-teen-titans-9542604-1024-768.jpg
Look this list can actually go on and on and on, and I will expand later, but I just wanted to get this out there and share with you some of my adventures because I'm having a blast and If you have a pair then you know what i'm talking about, if not then just you wait.... you better put it on your list.
So there it is... offer your thoughts, feedback, or questions if you have any.... I don't have many friends so its ok if there are no comments.