I wrote this quick little tidbit up earlier this morning for someone who had a question about the history of madness and violence in Mormonism.
Disclaimer: I was a Mormon for 38 years and only became an atheist about two years ago. I haven't read through all of the articles I'm sending, but hopefully they will give you an idea of what Mormon "culture" is capable of. Again, most Mormons are very good, loving, kind people, but there is a VERY dark history of violence and madness from Jo Smith's followers.
There are multiple groups of Mormons: there are the LDS, which is the biggest "faction" and is the most mainstream. Then there is the RLDS church which formed when a faction back in the 1800s wanted Joseph Smiths son to lead the church instead of Brigham Young. They were fairly mainstream as well, but pretty much died out by 2001. Then there are all the little other factions, most of which are even more scary and cultish than the main church. These include the FLDS and dozens of other little off shoots. Most of those are Fundamentalist and promote polygamy, child marriage, female member suppression and suppression of education. They often also promote shunning and violence. Please also note that most Mormons, even those growing up in Utah, will not be aware of much of this history. The church has done a masterful job of hiding these facts in plain sight and the only reason they are being known now is due to the internet.
Wiki article about Mormon violence:
Biggest, most well-known act of violence was the Mountain Meadows Massacre:
a differing viewpoint of the MMM, most assuredly written by a TBM (True Believing Mormon) that downplays the massacre and tries to whitewash Brigham Youngs involvement:
- Lafferty brothers: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1985-01-20/news/8501040596_1_ronald-lafferty-dan-lafferty-revelation
- Helzer brothers (Children of Thunder): http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2309952/Justin-Helzer-case-Notorious-killer-murdered-people-bizarre-plot-speed-Christs-return-Earth-hangs-death-row.html
- Cody Judy: http://utahvalley360.com/2014/08/08/11-unforgettable-moments-recent-lds-church-history/
- Brian David Mitchell: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_David_Mitchell
Infamous Mormons (note: may or may not have committed crimes based on their religion):
White Horse apocalyptic prophecy:
Note that Mormonism in ALL forms is a very apolocalyptic cult and many members relish the idea of the Second Coming and of "sinners getting whats coming to them". I would NEVER trust a fundie Mormon to have their fingers on the trigger to armageddon.
Exerpt from the "God Makers" video; Mormons will claim this content is all false, but it ALL has been taught as truth by the church at one point or another in its history:
This is all I have time for at the moment, but if you wish more I can find that later.
Additional topics not covered yet:
- blaming rape victims for their assaults and are told that they must forgive their rapists
- telling girls that it were "better to have died rather than give up their virtue" to a rapist
- telling girls that once they have been raped they are of no more value than "chewed gum" - see Elizabeth Smart
- molestations and group rapes that are punished by "talking to their Bishop", "skipping the sacrament" and by spankings; crimes are often NOT reported to the police
- early accounts of castration for those that went against Brigham Young
- elders in the church exiling young men so they wouldn't compete with them for the marriage women
- Black people not getting the priesthood until the 70's, which effectively would have kept them from the Celestial Kingdom (Mormon heaven)
- support of Prop 8, discriminating against LGBT
- silencing of those who speak out against the church (Will Bagley,John Dehlin, Kate Kelly, Ordain Women group, September 6, Alan Rock Waterman)