Post no longer visible in Community - where did it go?
This is a frequently asked question, so I'll outline the major reasons a post can disappear from a community. If you think of any additional ways, make a comment and I'll edit that in to keep it complete.Terminology:GPC:
Google Plus Community (assume a public one)O/M:
Owners and/or Moderators of a GPCMembers:
Members of a GPCOP:
The Original Poster or the Original Post itselfPost Tab:
Tab on a Profile or Page showing all posts. AKA "wall".Ban:
Member is banned from a CommunityBlock:
One person blocks the profile of another personSettings:
The G+ Settings for an individual Profile or PageRemove:
When an O/M removes a post from CommunityDelete:
When a post is deleted from the post tab of a page or profileRelevance Score:
A number created by G+ which categorizes the relevance of one person's post to another person's profile
In a normal situation, a member Shares an Original Post to a Community. It is posted to their own profile Post Tab, and the community aggregates that post and displays it in the Community for the members to see. Sometimes it is never seen there, and sometimes it appears then disappears. Here are some of the reasons that can cause a post to never appear, or to disappear. For the purposes of troubleshooting, we need to assume (or ask) the OP to toggle their own G+ Settings to be sure and SHOW COMMUNITY POSTS on their post tab. This can be done just temporarily if desired.
1) The OP contains offensive material or a blacklisted link. G+ may delete this post at any time - it will not show in the community and will also be missing from the post tab of the OP, but the OP denies deleting the post. They may get a warning message from G+, or not.
2) The post is thought to be Spam by G+. It will go into the Spam filter where O/M can see it there. The OP will see it as posted in the Community. Members will not see the post, and the OP won't see it if if they check while in Incognito Mode. This can happen retroactively (after plusses and comments too), if the OP later posts it in several communities, or "enough" members flag it as Spam. The post is visible on the OP post tab, is listed as "in" the Community, and members can comment on it there if they see it there. O/M can leave it stagnating in the filter, approve it and it will show in the Community, or Remove it (see #3 below).
3) O/M removed the post. Members can't see it in the community any longer, but it remains on the OP post tab with a line through the Community name. Members can see it and comment on it there. Any photos from the post in the Community Photo section will be removed from there. There is NO indication or trail as to which O or M removed the post. Nice ones will comment on why it was removed, but there is no requirement for this.
4) OP deletes the post. It will be gone from community and Post tab of the OP. Any picture on it will be removed from the Photo section. Keep in mind that ONLY G+ or the OP can delete a post - O/M can't do that.
5) An O/M removes a category containing the post while editing the Community. The post is still technically in the community, but it is invisible. It can be found with community search. Pictures from it will be visible in the Photo section. It will appear on the OP post tab as still posted in the community, but the category will be ( ). People can still comment on it via search or the OP post tab. Some of us who do this frequently and deliberately call it "Sweeping" a category of posts. I don't know if there is any official name for this tactic.
6) Relevance score is low. You may not see every post every visit if the score is low. To increase the score, plus and comment on the post.
7) Glitch. Glitches are common and entire blocks of posts will just disappear for awhile from communities and from your own post tab. Be patient - they tend to come back magically in a day or two. Sometimes you can find them in Search, comment on them, and they reappear quicker. If the OP can't find the post on their own Post tab, and #1 does not apply, a glitch is the most likely cause.
8) Blocking. The OP may block a member, who can then no longer see the post in the community, or any posts on the OP post tab. O/M can still see it even if they get blocked, but can't comment on it.
9) Deleted Profile. All posts in a community from a given profile disappear when a profile is deleted. No one can see them, and you get an error when you check the profile name.
Can anyone think of other reasons a post might disappear?
10) Although perhaps 0) would be better label - contributed by +Christian Nalletamby
- the Non Post. When you create a post to share, but you fail to actually click the Share button before moving on to other matters, so you never actually post it. This can happen with comments too. ;-) #community #disappearing #posts #FAQs
Version Stardate 2014.324.18:10CST