Post has attachment
(Prince Frederick’s Episcopal Church) Begun in 1859 and completed in 1876, Prince Frederick’s Chapel played a vital role in the religious life of the Pee Dee settlers in the latter half of the 19th century. With the decline of the rice economy, parishioners migrated to the more densely populated urban areas and the church suffered from lack of maintenance. The ruins of the chapel are all that remain of what once was a striking example of Gothic Revival architecture in South Carolina. Although the buttresses and pinnacles place it in the mainstream of Gothic architecture, the rounded arches, purity of design, and understated decorative elements exhibit a feeling for classical forms. The body of the church, declared unsafe and destroyed in 1966, was originally rectangular in plan and had four narrow arched windows on the side elevations. The only portion which remains today is the west façade with the steeple tower. The tower is divided into three sections. Adjacent to the church grounds is a cemetery which includes numerous examples of 19th century grave markers. Listed in the National Register August 28, 1974.

Cited from:

The Prince Frederick’s Episcopal Church ruins can be found near Plantersville in Georgetown County. It was named in honor of Prince Frederick of Wales, the son of King George II. Construction was completed in 1876, and the church became a focal point of religious life for early Pee Dee settlers. This tower and front facade are all that remain
As the rice economy declined in Georgetown, Prince Frederick’s parishioners moved away to larger cities to find work. The church was abandoned, and time took its toll on the structure. Its remaining buttresses and pinnacles are an example of Gothic style architecture typically used during the 19th century. The church was listed in the National Historic Register in 1976.
The rest of the church was declared hazardous and dismantled in 1966. However, its historic ruins and 19th century graveyard – where renowned local rice planters Hayne Allston, Plowden Weston, and William Sparkman are buried – make it worth a visit. (Information from

In 1859, a new church for the Prince Frederick Parish was begun. However, work on the church came to a complete halt later in 1860 when the head architect, Mr. Gunn, slipped on the high, incredibly steep roof and fell, screaming, to his death. The unfinished church, its massive bell tower rising above the tree tops, was temporarily abandoned. Many believe that Mr. Gunn, the architect who tumbled to his death while building the church, still haunts the grounds. Gunn’s spirit is said to be so prevalent in and around the tower that the belfry and church ruins have come to be known as the Old Gunn Church. Georgetonians have told of seeing lights moving in the totally inaccessible upper portion of the tower during the night. Others have heard the bloodcurdling, horrible scream of Mr. Gunn, the architect, as he relives his fatal fall. Mr. Gunn is not the only spirit that roams the grounds of the old church. The choir that once resounded through the trees like a chorus of heavenly voices still sings, although the choral members are all long gone. That magical time between sundown and dark, when their practice reached its crescendo, is exactly the time they are still occasionally heard.

The last picture shows what it looked like originally.

Cited from:

Located at:
33°30′20″N 79°10′49″W
22 Photos - View album
Wait while more posts are being loaded