Community update ~ April 2014
The community now has almost 3,442 members. That's a lot! :)
With more members comes more posts, which is great—people are sharing more recipes, and the vast majority of them are placed in the right categories (thanks!). Just a few days ago I wanted a recipe for pumpkin soup, and I didn't search Google—I searched this community and got several results.
But more posts also means more potential for posts that aren't a good fit for the community.
I've been quite busy of late, and I'm aware some non-vegan, and repeated advertisement posts have slipped through (which is normal... usually I just delete them).
Moving forward, I'd like to ask you to help me out by letting me know when you see posts or comments that:
* aren't vegan
* are spam / repeated advertisements
* you don't feel are constructive
Contacting a moderator as soon as you see such posts is the best way to get them addressed and helps improve the community. Remember, this isn't so much my community, it's our
community, so you have an opportunity to play a role in keeping it a nice place to hang out and focused on the central topic: vegan recipes.
I don't mind cleaning up posts, though I ask that you also participate in that process when you can, and to be respectful to other community members when doing so—even if they're spamming, or posting non-vegan recipes. Regardless of what people do, remember there's still a human behind the post (well, usually... sometimes it can be an automated spam-bot, heh). How do you contact a moderator?
Use the following link, or + mention the name of a moderator in a comment:https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/108709631341136809511/members/moderator
That link is also shared in multiple places in the community, so you don't have to remember it--it's easy enough to find if you look (in the community description, and tagline).
For people who are new here, welcome. :) Please take a moment to read the guidelines for sharing
found on the main page of the community: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/108709631341136809511
For easy reference, below is the current version of the guidelines, as of April 2014:
● Please don't post copyrighted content unless you have permission to do so. Link to it instead, or mention where people can be found (e.g. a book name and author, and page number).
● The central topic of this community is "vegan recipes." Please keep things you share relevant to that topic. Off-topic posts may be removed.
● If you share a link to your own website or project, please make sure that it contributes something to the community (see the above point about sharing relevant content).
● Posts that link to the same website or project without contributing something new may be removed.
● If you share a recipe or link to a recipe that isn't vegan, please include reasonable ideas for how the non-vegan ingredient can be substituted. There are plenty of other communities where you can post recipes that use animal products.
● If you feel the urge to post something that isn't very nice (e.g. a personal attack), perhaps take five deep breaths, go for a walk, or take a break from the community for a few days instead. It's okay to be human, though please consider the impact your actions may have on other people before posting something to the community.
● [A request] If you see a recipe in this community that isn't vegan or take issue with something that someone else shared, please either (1) send a private message to one of the moderators (best way), or (2) +mention one of the moderators in the comments section of the post. A list of the moderators can be found here: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/108709631341136809511/members/moderator
● Please refrain from attacking, harassing, abusing, name-calling, or passive-aggressively calling-into-question members who post things that you don't agree with, or that you find questionable or undesirable. Simply report such posts to a moderator. (It's fine to disagree with people... just try to do so respectfully.)
● If you repeatedly ignore these guidelines, you may be removed or banned from the community.
● If you have feedback or ideas about how these guidelines could be improved, please make a post sharing your feedback or idea. ________
● It's okay for people to share recipes containing honey.
● While including photos in posts that share other content is fine, this isn't a community for sharing food photos.
● Posts that only contain images (e.g. photos, etc) will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. If you don't have a license to post an image (i.e. if you're not the copyright holder or have permission from them), don't post it.