I'm working to build a suite of tools that I think would greatly help tabletop RPG games. As I start to create wireframes it is quickly becoming a rather ambitious project. In an effort to ensure a desire (and market) for such a tool suite I was hoping to get feedback from any gamers (GMs or players) out there that would care to comment.
The tool is centered around inventory management for a given campaign. The GM would have the ability to create and control inventory for their campaign though a web interface. The players of that campaign would create characters and connect those to the campaign (through a browser or mobile device app) to which the GM could give items to these characters. Initially it sounds kinda boring but think about some additional possibilities bulleted below;
• The ability for Players to manager their character through a mobile device. Stats, spells, abilities, attributes, etc.
• The ability for a player to view their current inventory, total weight, etc.
• The GM can setup and manage shops to which players can purchase and sell in game items without further GM interaction.
• The ability for players to inspect other players and see “visible” items, characteristics
• Players can trade items with other players in their campaign
• Players can track spells & abilities (skills, feats, etc)
o Things like if a character wants to cast a spell the tool would indicate if their character currently meets the requirements to cast that spell (they have a spell slot available, and the needed reagents in their inventory, etc.).
• Built-in initiative tracker, to which players can see and follow in their device as well. Option for GMs to hide enemies in the player’s view of the initiative tracker.
• The GM can setup loot, such as treasure chests, downed monsters, etc.
• Dice Roller with player configured Macros option.
• Notes, the GM can create notes or images and share with the campaign members through the tool. Player can create and track their own notes as well.
• Messaging, GM or players can send messages to 1 or more other members of the campaign
• The ability to add buffs or effects to characters and track those
• 1dX Table selections where the GM can get random results from a GM table of <whatever> (loot, tavern names, character traits, etc.)
• Import/Export capabilities – All configurations, items, templates made by GM in their campaign can be exported and shared with others GMs for use in their campaign.
There are a lot of other aspects and believe it or not this is a high level view of just some of things this tool could do. Would anyone be interested in such a tool set? Are there any other pain points out there you think could be addressed as a GM or player?