I tried upgrading the SSD of my Acer C720, and it went wrong. It's such a simple process, I don't understand what coulda gone wrong. So I'll just describe the steps ...
First - I ordered the very same MyDigitalSSD device as shown on the AndroidCentral upgrade instructions. (M.2 SATA 6G SSD; MDM242-SC2-128)
Next - make the recovery media. Visiting chrome://imageburner doesn't work, apparently because this newfangled material design stuff means we have to use the Recovery application instead. I installed that app, rebooted, and it recognized the SD Card I had in the slot. It wrote recovery stuff on that card.
Next - Opening the device up is easy peasy as is removing the old SSD.
Next - the new SSD won't fit. I study carefully and see that the size of each tab looks like it needs to be installed upside-down from the picture on AndroidCentral. That is, the side tabs on these cards have one slightly wider than the other. If I orient the new SSD with the label facing up, the narrow tab is on the wrong side. If I turn it upside down (the label facing downward) then the short tab is on the same side as the original SSD's short tab. It's easy to insert the SSD this way, whereas it's very difficult if the SSD is oriented the way shown in the AndroidCentral article.
Next - With the SSD oriented as shown in the AndroidCentral article, and the SSD shoved into the slot as well as I could, the computer doesn't turn on. With the SSD upside down, it turns on.
Next - With it upside down, and the computer turned on, I can get into the recovery mode. But a message is printed that something has gone wrong, there's a spinny thing next to the message, and it says to read the recovery instructions on google.com
I let it sit this way for a loooooooong time and it apparently didn't do anything.
I gave up at that point and have reinstalled the original SSD. That was its own adventure, but I the system is back as it had been.