Some observations and questions about Sharepoint.
I've never worked with this system before but am auditing a website being developed with it and have discovered a few things which I'm hoping to get some clarity on from those with more experience with Sharepoint.
1. XML sitemap shows up with port 80 in the robots.txt, eg. http://www.domain.com:80/sitemap.xml
- according to the developers of this website, this is unavoidable. I'm wondering if this might cause any duplicate content issues given that port 80 is default for http.
2. Sharepoint also appears to add in a mobile XML sitemap, regardless of whether your site has any mobile only pages or not. Apparently this is default.
3. Content appears to be duplicated in some cases. After crawling the site, I found duplicate pages, eg. http://www.domain.com/AboutUshttp://www.domain.com/about-us
I'm told this is also something to do with the inner workings of Sharepoint but I'm not entirely convinced. Without knowing more on how this is occurring, I can't really say what's best - normally, I'd 301 to the correct page but I'd also look at why this happens and fix it.
4. And lastly, Sharepoint apparently has issues with URLs ending in a trailing slash... so the dev team have done some URL rewriting so that URLs with trailing slashes redirect to URLs without. Doing it the other way causes problems across the entire site. Again, not sure about whether this is entirely Sharepoint's fault!
Apologies if this should be in the Questions section. Thanks in advance for your insights.