Buying a used Leaf for 9K and powering it with solar energy from your solar panels to replace a car refilled weekly with 18 gallons of gasoline is the same as planting 382 trees. Below is the math. Charging a used Leaf at home draws just 3.3 kw compared to 4.4 kw for a clothes dryer.Burning 1 gallon of gasoline creates 19.6 pounds of CO2, since gasoline is mostly carbon by weight and molecular mass of CO2 is 44 (compared to 12 for carbon). Gasoline is 3.84 liters (87% is carbon), density is 1.7 pounds/liter, so CO2 mass is about 3.84*0.87*1.6*44/12= 19.6 pounds.
If you drive an electric car powered by the sun, you avoid releasing 18345 pounds of CO2 into the air, if you fill up once a week an 18 gallon fuel tank, 18*52weeks*19.6=18345. 18 tons of CO2 or almost 9 metric tonnes of CO2.
Each tree absorbs 48 pounds of CO2 a year, when mature, so 18345/48=382 trees equivalent.Hybrid industries DOUBLES THE RANGE OF THE LEAF for only 6.5K, and a used Leaf in California can be gotten for 8.5k only
►► ►http://hybridindustries.webs.comThe Leaf is the best selling electric car globally, having sold 200,000+ already. Used ones go for 8-9k now even. You will pay 3 times less on fuel, since electricity is 3 times cheaper (it can be 5-7 times cheaper in some countries though). Or pay zero if you don't mind driving to a public free charging station and wait 30 minutes for a quick charge of 80 miles. Nissan replaces your battery for free if your battery has 9 bars instead of the 12 on a new car. 100000 mile warranty goes to your used car when you buy it and you get to use the CAR POOL LANE too when alone, as most Leafs have the sticker on them. Los Angeles Department of Water and Power and other places like Nissan, Toyota, BMW, etc have free quick charge stations too. Can do some email, texting and get free charging. if your workplace offers free electric car charging (many companies do), you no longer have any fuel expense and no trip to quick charge stations or home charging, plus no oil change either, far less maintenance. Just google the nearest free public charging stations.
The Android App is PlugShare, 90000 charging stations on this network.
Most people charge in the garage while sleeping between 11 pm to 7 am. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=13008#p295725
explains how to get 23 miles per hour charging at home on a 240 dryer plug with 30 amp circuit. for example. You can upgrade the cable the leaf comes with as the link explains for faster at home charging.
If your very old gas car or hybrid is worn out and the time is to buy a newer car - there are many used Leafs and the range is about 80-90 miles depending on how much it was driven. If you want longer range, you can pay 22k (after rebates) and get a new 2016 leaf that comes with 110 miles. Only the upper models of 2016 leaf offer the extra range. Only Nissan offers an affordable car with such a big range now. All the other electric cars offer only about 60-90 miles range.Below are some reasons for buying your next car electric, installing solar panels and supporting 100% renewable energy in all nations (via carbon price for example):
1. help humanity survive since absorbed CO2 leads to ocean acidification which kills plankton. Plankton generates 50-80% of oxygen we breathe, so without oxygen we will die
2. help humanity since elevated CO2 levels were shown to impair brain performance of all future humans
. Today in offices with high CO2 levels (like we will have if no action is taken), people's brain performance decreases.
3. Help humanity as you no longer generate carcinogenic exhaust, otherwise known as smog, which kills millions of people each year
and leads to lower IQ
and autism ► http://goo.gl/66nqwr
, as well as Alzheimer, cancer, heart disease, asthma, Parkinson, Multiple Sclerosis, Memory Loss, Cognitive Decline as explained in the many studies at
. Also, http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/2007/08/pollution-causes-40-percent-deaths-worldwide-study-finds explains that 40% of deaths are due to pollution. Smog kills billions earlier than their normal time. Coal fired plants generate most human emissions of mercury and arsenic in the air.
4. save lives since you reduce heart attacks caused by traffic noise
. Electric cars are much quieter.
5. save humanity from oil wars that destroy the environment and kill countless civilians
. Iraq war trillions could have powered all US with solar/wind ► http://goo.gl/ZqN47
6. you no longer have to change oil (because there is no oil to change)
or spark plugs; no more smog check either; electric cars have 60% less parts, so you will go for repairs much less. Combustion engines are noisy and only 15% efficient; electric motors are 90% efficient.
7. reduce heat and AC costs, because electric cars produce 5 times less heat than combustion engine cars per mile, reducing the heat-island effect in cities
8. bring the end of gas stations
that poison the water wells with MTBE or other compounds leading to billions of dollars wasted in cleaning up the well water (example: $0.4 billion settlement ► http://goo.gl/eKasZD
9. save money as you spend 4-8 times less money on "fuel" depending what area of the globe at the current low prices of oil
. ► https://plus.google.com/+AlexP/posts/aqpoUTuBV5z
. If you have enough solar panels, you get free CLEAN fuel for life
, since you charge at home and utilities pay you for energy you put on the grid. ► https://plus.google.com/+AlexP/posts/D3B8qikwNie
. Likewise, Tesla Motors offers free solar ☼ charging for life
10. save money for noble purposes because electric cars are cheaper than many oil cars
after the federal and state rebates: in Colorado, you can buy a Nissan Leaf for only 15, 000, while in most other states for 18-21, 000. A Smart EV costs only $12,000 in Colorado, see http://smartusa.com
. Mitsubishi i-MieV is only $13,000 in California and $10, 000 in Colorado ► http://www.evworld.com/news.cfm?rssid=31881
11. Save money since it is cheaper to buy solar panels over 5-12 years than to pay the electric bill without panels - so you save MONEY and the environment - just choose the best deal, they got 12 year loans for 2-3% interest rate - plus after 12 years you get free electricity for the next 30 years or longer if panels last 60 years which they should.
12. Electric car batteries and solar panels are far greener than alternatives. Battery recycling for today's oil car lead batteries is happening at a 97% rate globally. It will be even better for the far safer lithium car batteries. Lithium Ion batteries are classified by the federal government as non-hazardous waste. Lithium ion batteries are made from nontoxic lithium carbonate (used in ovenware), nontoxic cobalt oxide (in pottery glaze), nontoxic graphite (in pencils), and a polymer (plastic) membrane. The most toxic components are the electrolyte and lithium cobalt oxide, neither of which are persistent in the environment and both of which are increasingly being replaced by safer compounds.
Wang Chuan-Fu, CEO of BYD, demonstrated the safety of the electrolyte in their lithium ion batteries by drinking it
. Zero Motorcycles founder Neal Saiki said that the Lithium Ion batteries they use are safe to eat
Solar is way better than coal, oil or natural gas which spew 100-1000 times more carcinogens in the environment per unit of energy produced, besides far more CO2. How long does a solar panel system have to operate to recover the energy used for making the panel? Energy payback for rooftop panels is 1-4 years depending on type. Assuming a life of 30-60 years for a panel, that means that most energy produced will be free from pollution of any sort ► http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy04osti/35489.pdf
13. save time, thus money, since you are allowed to use the carpool lanes to avoid traffic
if you drive an electric car, in many countries, even if there is only 1 person in the car.
14. Natural gas and Coal can be replaced with solar-wind immediately:) as a public health priority, especially since they are cheaper in many areas than fossil fuels and storage eliminates the need for sun-wind 24-7 ► http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjNKz8qXRmk
. In China's worst areas, smog makes people live only 4 decades ► http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1DNjJd2YfA
. Coal-fired plants lead to birth defects in China, see the 2 min video ► http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wImJC6xEoU
. In all nations, including USA, people near coal-fired plants often die of cancer at 45 or so, see the 10 min video ► http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZWAQ_3yoj8
. Coal pollution leads to cancer, asthma, autism (mercury), etc. Clean coal doesn't exist ► http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l0iqdfFyC0
15. Germany increased its solar capacity 16000 times between 1990 and 2012
. It's possible. In 2014, Denmark generated 39% electricity from wind ► https://plus.google.com/110265788529286523789/posts/1FraSFPpWBv
. For comparison, the current renewables percentage in the US India & China 15%, Japan 11%, Israel 2.6%, Russia 15% (hydro), Mexico 26%, UK 25%, Canada 60% (hydro), Portugal 50% (hydro+wind), Brazil 90% (hydro), Iceland 100% (hydro+geothermal), Ghana 75% (hydro), Spain 45% (wind-solar-hydro), New Zealand 80% (hydro+geoth+wind), Paraguay & Norway & Lesotho & Bhutan 100% (hydro), All Africa 32% (hydro), Germany 33%, Italy 29% (solar-wind-hydro), Sweden 52%, Finland 37%.