Key takeaways of Dr. Grant Blank`s (Oxford Internet Institute) speech about the representivity of research on Twitter:
- The structure of Twitter users varies heavily
from nation to nation. Dr. Blanks survey brought evidence, that the user segments even of the UK and the USA differs significantly.
- Twitter research is biased
(representative for some
people, but not for a whole population e.g.).
- Most twitter surveys do not adress such biases.
- There is further research
needed to identify who is using twitter in the different countries.
- To sum up, twitter users are younger, higher educated and more often single
than a cross section of the population.
Yesterday @ General Online Research conference in Cologne. #socialmediaresearch #twitterresearch