Today is National Kazoo day. It along with the glass armonica and the theremin are the only instruments of American Invention. Ben Franklin invented the glass armonica and gave himself apoplexy demonstrating it. The Kazoo was invented in the 1840s by Alabama Vest and Thaddeus Von Kleeg. It was first introduced at the 1852 Georgia State Fair.
The Kazoo is an instrument that can be mastered in a minute and annoying for a lifetime.
How to make a kazoo:
1. Go to the bath room and get an old der der. This is an empty toilet paper roll. This is a chance to be annoying to your housemates!
2. Go to the kitchen and get a piece of wax paper about 100mm x 100 mm square, (4" x 4").
3. Secure the wax paper over the top of the der der with a rubber band.
4. Hum into the other end of the der der and you have found a way to annoy people for a lifetime of Kazoo fun.
How to make a "Green" Kazoo:
1. Take your comb out of your pocket.
2. Place a piece of wax paper, old candy wrapper or a hundred dollar bill over the teeth of the comb.
3. Hold the membrane in place with your fingers.
4. Hum into the comb and you have found a way to annoy people for a lifetime of Kazoo fun.