Alright, here's the revised Fronts for the campaign!
Four artifacts tied to the gods of fire and water, wind and stone lie across the land, bound in magical seals. Unknown to all but the most ancient and powerful, these seals do not guard the artifacts, but rather use them to power the prison of a mad god. One of those ancient powers, a tainted creature called the Voice of the Deep, aims to usurp the power of these seals to reshape the world. But the Voice needs some unwitting help first...
- Clarke, Priest of Taigor, the God of Seas
- Rasputin, Elven Mage of shadows and fear
- Conan the Glorious, the wandering Dwarf Barbarian
- Jax, the time-displaced Dwarf Artificer
ADVENTURE FRONT: The Cult of the Deep Death
- Sharad, Sahuagin Baron
- Arkos, Deep Priest of Taigor
- Will Rasputin accept the Voice's bargain?
- Will the Sahuagin betray Arkos?
- Will Jax repair the citadel's machinery?
DANGER: Warren of the Sahuagin
Cursed Place - Shadowland
Instinct: To corrupt or consume the living
Impending Doom: Pestilence
- The Sahuagin have found a victim
- The Sahuagin complete their vile experiments
- The Sahuagin release the transfiguring plague into the water
The Sahuagin work for Tlazhocatl and grudgingly aid the cultists. Meanwhile, they are also creating a magical, disfiguring disease they wish to unleash upon Reefton and infusions to conceal their piscine nature, to better camouflage themselves in the town.
DANGER: The Voice of the Deep
Arcane Enemy - Ancient Curse
Instinct: To ensnare
Impending Doom: Impoverishment
- The Voice tempts Rasputin (Checked)
- The Voice offers Rasputin its boon for future aid
- The voice whispers to Rasputin the location of the second artifact
Tlazhocatl's plans are complex and long-ranging. Here it begins to try to twist the party into its unwitting minions through Rasputin's lust for power.
DANGER: The Children of the Deep
Horde - Cult
Instinct: To prepare the way
Impending Doom: Destruction
- Arkos breaks the seal and retrieves the Eye of Taigor
- Arkos communes with the eye and sees his glorious victory
- Arkos fills the eye with blood and transforms into the Child of the Deep
The Cult of the Deep Death reveres Taigor not as a bringer of food and trade, but as the impersonal destructive force behind the ocean, slowly eroding the coast or violently and quickly wiping out towns with tsunamis, floods, and storms.
DANGER: The Shattered Citadel
Cursed Place - Place of Power
Instinct: To be controlled or tamed
Impending Doom: Destruction
- The ancient machinery fails
- Tremors spread through the ruins
- Malfunctioning guardians activate
- The caves begin to collapse
This cave system is what remains of an ancient dwarven citadel, invisible on the surface. Waking Jax caused some malfunction in the citadel's machinery, and if it's not repaired it could collapse the whole complex!
- Tlazhocatl, the Remaker, Ancient Aboleth
- Aresceth, the Hungry Void, God of Entropy
- Will Rasputin aid Tlazhocatl?
- Will Clarke expose the Cult of the Remaker?
- Will the PCs reforge the world and become gods, or return it to its former state?
DANGER: The Cult of the Remaker
Ambitious Organization - Cabal
Instinct: To absorb those in power, to grow
Impending Doom: Usurpation
- The Sahuagin establish the Cult of the Remaker in Reefton
- The Cult of the Remaker becomes the most popular religion in Reefton
- The Cult of the Remaker murders Merchant-Lord Fitzroland and rules Reefton
The Cult of the Remaker believes their god will one day take the marred and diseased and reshape them into perfect forms. The Sahuagin behind the cult actually wish to control Reefton and prevent its inhabitants from interfering with Tlazhocatl's plans.
DANGER: Aresceth, Breaker of Chains
Planar Force - Elemental Lord
Instinct: To tear down creation to its component parts
Impending Doom: Destruction
- The first seal is broken
- The second seal is broken
- The third seal is broken
- The final seal is broken, and Aresceth slips his bonds
The seals drawing power from the elemental artifacts keep Aresceth bound. If he is released, the world may very well be dissolved into cold nothingness.
DANGER: Tlazhocatl, the Voice
Arcane Enemy - Power-mad Wizard
Instinct: To seek magical power
Impending Doom: Tyranny
- Tlazhocatl creates the first new seal, securing its power
- Tlazhocatl creates the second new seal, securing its power
- Tlazhocatl creates the third new seal, securing its power
- Tlazhocatl creates the final new seal, becoming like unto a god
Tlazhocatl desires to rule reality and twist it into a corrupt reflection of its rightful state. To do this, it needs to break the seals holding back Aresceth. With those seals broken, Tlazhocatl can remake them and fill itself with elemental power.
- - - - -
NOTES: Introducing Jax
Jax will be joining the game after the first session. Luckily, I described that there appeared to be something behind a waterfall and hadn't decided what it would be yet.
When Jax is awakened from stasis, ask him these questions:
- What was different about the Dwarves 1500 years ago?
- What was wrong with the world before you were sealed away?
- In the past, what purpose did this now-crumbling citadel and its machinery hold?
- Why were you put in stasis?
Then, give him the following bond in place of any others
- _________ knows the ways of this strange future. I must learn from them.
NOTES: The Favor of the Deep
If Rasputin accepts the boon of the Voice, he must select one look from the list below, and an Aligned and Opposed element to add to his Spell Focus.
Look: Disproportionately Long Limbs, Unsettling Presence, Vestigial Gills
Aligned: Cloud their mind, draw forth madness, slip between the folds of reality
Opposed: Defense or protection, reveal the truth
When the Voice tells Rasputin the location of another artifact, ask these questions:
- (Rasputin) Which element - air, earth, or fire - is the artifact tied to?
- (Clarke) What is the benevolent god of that element like?
- (Jax) What is the artifact's basic function?
- (Conan) Where is the artifact rumored to be held?
When your debt comes due, the Voice urges you to do something. If you do it, mark XP. If you resist the Voice's command, roll +CHA. On a 10+, you shake off its influence for now. On a 7-9, you stand there considering it or resisting the urges for a few moments or until something snaps you out of it. On a miss, you wake up a few minutes later with a bloody nose and no idea what happened.
Notes: Treasures of the Deep Death
Poison, 100 coins, 0 weight
When you drink the foul, fishy brine, roll +CON. On a 10+, take 3 hold. On a 7-9, take 1, On a miss, you still take 1, but the brew disagrees with you. Violently. Take d8 damage (ignores armor) and you become sick.
You can spend a hold to use one of the following monster moves:
- Breathe water like air
- Frenzy at the sight of blood
- Escape into the water
- Rip and tear
This construct is a hireling with Loyalty +3, Protector +1, and Warrior +1. Its cost is regular repairs.
The homunculus also has Charge +1. When a character uses the Order Hirelings move on the homunculus and rolls 7-9, if the homunculus has Charge +1 it will reduce it to Charge +0 and treat that roll as a 10+.
If the Homunculus is within reach of the Artificer and it has Charge +1, the Artificer can reduce it to Charge +0 to set his Charge to 3.
When a character takes a break to tinker with the homunculus, set its charge to 1.
The Eye of Taigor
This large silver vessel is sacred to Taigor, God of Seas. Once a night you can commune with the visions dancing in the waters of the vessel. When you pour clear water into it and gaze at the reflections in the bowl, roll +WIS. On a success, the GM will reveal the details of a grim portent to you - a bleak event that will come to pass without your intervention. On a 10+, they will also tell you something useful about how you can interfere with the grim portent’s dark outcomes. On a miss, the GM will instead tell you two grim portents - and only one will be true!