Post has attachment
On this day:
At 27th January of 1993, professional wrestler André the Giant passed away due to a congestive heart failure. He most famously feuded with Hulk Hogan, culminating at WrestleMania III, and his best-remembered film role was that of Fezzik, the giant in "The Princess Bride". In the World Wrestling Federation (WWF, now known as WWE), André was a WWF World Heavyweight Champion and a one-time WWF tag team champion. In 1993, André was the inaugural inductee into the WWF Hall of Fame.

André René Roussimoff, a.k.a André the Giant was a French professional wrestler and actor. He was diagnosed with gigantism, or a disorder that is characterized by excessive growth and significantly above average height. This, later, resulted in acromegaly. André the Giant was a massive 7 feet 4 inches tall and weighed in at a remarkable 240 kg.

Born May 19, 1946, in Grenoble in southeast France, Andre Rene Roussimoff made his mark on the world of wrestling as André the Giant, helping to define the WWF's identity with his overpowering presence and athleticism.

Already 6-foot-3 by the time he was 12, Roussimoff's size made him perfect for working on his father's farm. Before dropping out in the eighth grade, he would get driven to school by neighbor and avant-garde playwright Samuel Beckett because he couldn't fit on the bus. Roussimoff would sit in the back of Beckett's truck and the two would talk about cricket.

Thanks to a degree of happenstance, Roussimoff would become a professional wrestler when he was 17. While working out at a gym, some wrestlers took interest in him and gave him some training. Eventually, he would have his chance in the ring when one wrestler got injured and a replacement was needed. From there, his success could not be stopped.

Using the moniker Jean Ferre, Roussimoff came to North America in 1971, doing matches around Quebec. As crowds lessened, a friend was able to set up a meeting in New York City with Vince McMahon Sr. Together, McMahon's backing and guidance helped Roussimoff achieve unparalleled success while the grappling goliath in turn brought out the crowds.

In 1973, at the age of 27, Roussimoff would make his debut with the World Wide Wrestling Federation, newly christened with a name that would define his existence in the ring: André the Giant. From Hulk Hogan to Jake "The Snake" Roberts and the Ultimate Warrior, Roussimoff would stand tall in the squared circle and, subsequently, the WWF, now called WWE, for two decades, not to mention fights around the world,

His last matches would be fought with All Japan Pro Wrestling and Mexico's Universal Wrestling Association. Whether through his work in the ring or his scene-stealing performance in "The Princess Bride" as Fezzik, André led a life both bolstered and dictated by his appearance. It was a tradeoff that often left him fully aware of his isolation. While in Paris to attend his father's funeral, Roussimoff died in his sleep of congestive heart failure on Jan. 27, 1993.

#AndreTheGiant #TheEighthWonderOfTheWorld
#Wrestler #WWF #Onthisday #Wrestling
#Inmemoryof #WrestlingLegends
#80sMemories #90sMemories
#SportsEntertainment #OldSchoolWrestling
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
On this day:
At 27th January of 1996, Serbian-born tennis player Monica Seles, the former No. 1 women’s player in the world, defeats Anke Huber of Germany to win the Australian Open. The win in Melbourne was Seles’ first Grand Slam title since she was stabbed by Gunther Parche, a self-professed fan of the German tennis champion Steffi Graf during the quarterfinals of the Citizen Cup tournament in Hamburg on April 30, 1993.

Monica Seles was born on December 2, 1973, in Novi Sad, Yugoslavia, to Hungarian parents. Her father, Karolj Seles, taught her to play tennis in a parking lot when she was 5 years old, and as she grew up, she became intent on beating her brother Zoltan, who was eight years older and the No. 1-ranked junior tennis player in the country at the time. Her mother, Ester, and her grandmother thought that a girl shouldn't spend so much time playing tennis, but neither Seles nor her father heeded their advice.

By the age of 13, Seles was the No. 1 junior tennis player in the world. At 16, she beat Steffi Graf in the French Open, becoming the youngest person to win the tournament. The following year, the 17-year-old made history again as the youngest player to take over the world's No. 1 ranking. From January 1991 through February 1993, she won 33 of the 34 tournaments she entered, including six Grand Slam singles titles.

At the age of 19, Seles was stabbed in the back by a crazed Steffi Graf fan during a tournament in Hamburg, Germany. She was treated for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder after the incident, and took a two-year hiatus before returning to the court in 1995. Obsessed with seeing Graf retain the world No. 1 ranking, Parche stalked Seles at the Citizen Cup until her quarterfinal match against Magdalena Maleeva.

During a changeover, Parche lunged across the courtside barrier and stabbed Seles between the shoulder blades with a 10-inch knife, in front of some 6,000 spectators. He was later found psychologically unstable and sentenced to a two-year suspended sentence and psychological treatment.

In the aftermath of the stabbing, a shaken Seles did not return to professional tennis for more than two years. In August 1995, she won her first tournament back, the Canadian Open, beating Amanda Coetzer in the final 6-0, 6-1.

She made it to the final of the U.S. Open the following month, reaching the final and holding set point against Graf in the first set before eventually losing 7-6, 0-6, 6-3. Seles’ trajectory seemed to be steadily back on the rise by January 1996, culminating in her 6-4, 6-0 dispatch of Huber in the final on January 27.

Although she won another Australian Open in 1996 and a bronze medal at the Sydney Olympics in 2000, Seles never quite regained her competitive edge. She experienced a series of setbacks, including the death of her father in 1998, and a foot injury in 2003. She played her last match in 2003, and officially retired in 2008.

By the time she retired, Seles had claimed nine Grand Slam championships among her 53 career singles titles. She was inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame in 2009. Since retiring, Seles has spent time teaching at tennis clinics and speaking about the difficulties she faced with an eating disorder.

#MonicaSeles #Tennis
#Onthisday #Sports #1996AustralianOpen
#90sMemories #TennisPlayer
#WTA #AustralianOpen #Australia
#TennisTournament #Melbourne
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
On this day:
At 25th January of 1998, the Denver Broncos defeated the Green Bay Packers, 31-24, in Super Bowl XXXII at San Diego. The dream finally came true for John Elway and the Broncos. They broke a 4-game Super Bowl losing streak with 1:45 to go in the game. The Broncos’ MVP RB Terrell Davis ran for a 1-yard TD run up the middle and put Denver in the Super Bowl win column at last. Tickets: $275.00. According to 68,912 people attended the game.

After 4 prior losses, the Denver Broncos won their first Super Bowl in 1998. They defeated the Green Bay Packers 31- 24. The Super Bowl was played at Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego, making it the only stadium to host both the Super Bowl and the World Series in the same year.

The Broncos, who entered the game after posting a 12–4 regular season record in 1997, became just the second wild card team to win a Super Bowl and the first since the Raiders in Super Bowl XV. The Packers, who entered the game as the defending Super Bowl XXXI champions after posting a 13–3 regular season record, were the first team favored to win by double digits to lose a Super Bowl since Super Bowl IV.

But years later, Brett Favre said the Broncos were far underrated, and credited Denver's innovative blitz packages and strategies, foreign to the league at that time, for confusing the Packers. The game was close throughout much of the contest. Each player wore a Super Bowl logo patch on their jerseys. This would become a regular practice in each Super Bowl since.

The pregame show, narrated by actor and comedian Phil Hartman, celebrated the music and history of California. It featured performances by The 5th Dimension, Lee Greenwood, and The Beach Boys. Singer Jewel later sang the National Anthem.

To honor the 10th anniversary of the Washington Redskins' win in Super Bowl XXII, the only other previous Super Bowl played in San Diego, the game's MVP, Doug Williams, and former head coach Joe Gibbs participated during the coin toss ceremony.

They were joined by the recently retired, longtime college football head coach Eddie Robinson, who ran the Grambling State University Tigers football team from 1942 until 1997. The halftime show was titled "A Tribute to Motown's 40th Anniversary" and featured Boyz II Men, Smokey Robinson, Queen Latifah, Martha Reeves and The Temptations.

The Broncos converted two turnovers to take a 17–7 lead in the second quarter before the Packers cut the score to 17–14 at halftime. Green Bay kept pace with Denver in the second half, before tying the game with 13:32 remaining.

Both defenses stiffened until Broncos running back Terrell Davis scored the go-ahead touchdown with 1:45 left. Despite suffering a migraine headache that caused him to miss most of the second quarter, Davis (a San Diego native) was named Super Bowl MVP. He ran for 157 yards, caught two passes for 8 yards, and scored a Super Bowl record three rushing touchdowns.

#SuperBowlXXXII #SuperBowl
#DenverBroncos #GreenBayPackers
#Broncos #Packers #90sMemories
#Sports #Onthisday #NFL #JohnElway
#QualcommStadium #SanDiego #California
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
On this day:
At 25th January of 1987, the New York Giants defeated the Denver Broncos, 39-20, in Super Bowl XXI on CBS. MVP: Giants’ QB Phil Simms. It was all Phil Simms. He completed 22 of 25 passes (88%) for 268 yards and three touchdowns and he brought the Giants back from a first-half 10-9 deficit. The 30 second half points were a Super Bowl half-game record. Tickets: $75.00. The game featured TV commercials that cost $550,000 for 30 seconds of CBS’s most prime time.

After 30 seasons without an NFL title and the stigma of five consecutive losses in NFL championships, the Giants turned destiny into reality with sheer guts and Phil Simms in the second half yesterday to defeat the Broncos in Super Bowl XXI, 39-20. The Giants and Broncos differed on the turning point. The Broncos said they lost when they had the Giants down in the first half, and Rich Karlis blew two field goals and the officials blew a replay call.

The Giants said they won when they gambled on a fake punt on fourth and one on the first series of the second half and got the first down, and then completed a 44-yard flea-flicker pass from Simms to Phil McConkey in the third quarter. The Broncos gained two yards in that quarter, while the Giants scored 17 points. Quite honestly, there were many big plays. And Simms made a majority of them.

In all the pre-game hype, Denver's John Elway appeared to be the only quarterback in the game. But Simms was the man yesterdy, completing 22 of 25 passes for 268 yards and three touchdowns. He completed 88%, the highest in playoff history, a total of 213 games, and his ten consecutive completions was a Super Bowl record.

In the second half, he was perfect: 10 for 10 for 165 yards and two touchdowns. Elway overall completed 22 of 37 for 304 yards, but those statistics lie because the game was already lost when the Giants allowed most of his yardage. He got only 117 yards in the second half and was intercepted once.

The annoucement with 2:03 left that Simms was the game's MVP was an anticlimax after such a performance. He was a unanimous selection, and teammates hugged him, then Bart Oates and Brad Benson doused him with Gatorade. He received that honor before Parcells. The shower of Gatorade was the end of the Giants' long, long drought.

And then there were tears in the eyes of the Giant faithful as Jim Burt charged around the fiedld with his son on his shoulders, then climbed into the stands to hug and high-five the fans. There was singing and laughter as Elvis Patterson led the blue throng in a blaring rendition of "New York, New York" on the public address system. It was a great day for the Giants and their fans. But it was the greatest of all for Simms.

But don't believe it wasn't harrowing for a while. After 30 minutes the Giants were lucky to be trailing by only one point, 10-9. To be that close, they needed help. Karlis, who made 11 straight field goals and tied the Super Bowl record for distance with his 48-yarder in the first quarter, had to miss a couple of chip shots, and the Giants had to get the benefit of the doubt on a replay that set up their safety.

Karlis' miss from 23 yards in the second quarter was the shortest miss in Super Bowl history. It left the Broncos with nothing after they had a first down at the Giants 1. His other miss was also a chip shot from 34 yards just before the half. With those field goals, the Broncos would have been leading 16-9 at halftime.

The only score in the second quarter, however, was Giants defensive end George Martin's sack of Elway in the end zone for a safety. This began New York's run of scoring 26 unanswered points through the third and fourth quarters. The Giants also posted a Super Bowl record 30 points in the second half, and limited the Broncos to only 2 net yards in the third quarter.

The Giants' victory in Super Bowl XXI marked the second time in four months that the New York metropolitan area had won a championship in a major professional sport; three months before, the New York Mets had won the 1986 World Series. The telecast of the game on CBS was seen by an estimated 87.2 million viewers.

#SuperBowlXXI #SuperBowl
#DenverBroncos #NewYorkGiants
#Broncos #Giants #80sMemories
#Sports #Onthisday #NFL #PhilSimms
#RoseBowl #Pasadena #California
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
On this day:
At 24th January of 1988, the first annual Royal Rumble took place at the Copps Coliseum in Hamilton, Ontario. The event was held by 15,000 fans in attendance. It was a loud crowd all night long because they were excited about the first ever Royal Rumble simply due to the curiosity factor since they had no idea what to expect.

In the time before the World Wrestling Federation became the pay per view juggernaut we know and sometimes love today (albeit as the WWE), the first Royal Rumble event began life as a television special designed, as legend has it, simply to stick it to Jim Crocket Promotions, who were hosting their NWA Bunkhouse Stampede pay per view on the same night. Whilst the NWA show would fade into eventual obscurity, WWF's January event would, of course, go on to become an annual tradition.

This was the first Rumble match that was televised. It's the only 20 man Royal Rumble match that took place as part of this TV special or on PPV. There were other Rumble matches in WWE history, but this is the only one where a 20 man Rumble took place during an event with the Rumble name.

"Hacksaw" Jim Duggan is a WWE Hall of Famer, but if you watched his whole career in WWE then you know that he wasn't always pushed to be a big deal. He was really good in Mid-South Wrestling before WWE. No denying that. However, in WWE he was booked in the midcard for much of his career and mostly as a cheesy, feel good type of babyface. He won zero titles in his WWE career.

Considering he could always get a reaction from the fans, he probably could have been a tag team champion if he was paired up with somebody or maybe held a midcard title. Instead, it never happened. When looking at his WWE career, his victory in the first Royal Rumble match is the greatest thing that he did.

The only other title he held was "King of the WWF" in 1989, but that wasn't an official title that meant anything. Duggan was inducted into WWE's Hall of Fame in 2011. That happened because he was a long time employee that everybody liked and it's why people really shouldn't get worked up over who is or isn't in WWE's Hall of Fame. It's a backstage popularity contest more than anything.

There was a historic moment on the show as Hulk Hogan and Andre The Giant went into the ring to sign a contract for WWE's February 5, 1988 broadcast called The Main Event. Back in those days, contract signings were not that common especially in the ring. These days WWE does contract signings every other month or so with big leather chairs in the ring as well as a wood table in the ring.

It was a huge segment because their WrestleMania III main event match took place about a year before this, so this was being done to set up their next huge match for Hogan's WWE Title. After they signed the contract, the two men went face to face. Andre slammed Hogan's face into the table and then tossed the table onto him. Hogan sold it like it was a big deal. It was a good way to get heel heat on Andre leading up to the WWE Title match at The Main Event.

#RoyalRumble88 #RoyalRumble #WWF
#HacksawJimDuggan #WrestlingLegends
#Onthisday #Wrestling #SportsEntertainment
#80sMemories #WrestlingEvent #OldSchoolWrestling
#Hamilton #Ontario #RR88_30ThAnniversary
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
On this day:
At 23rd January of 1984, Hulk Hogan becomes the first wrestler to escape the “camel clutch”, the signature move of reigning World Wrestling Federation (WWF) champion Iron Sheik, as he defeats Sheik to win his first WWF title, at Madison Square Garden in New York City. Hulkamania was born.

Only one month earlier, the Iron Sheik, born Hossein Khosrow Vaziri in Tehran, Iran, had defeated the celebrated Bob Backlund in a controversial match, ending Backlund’s WWF-championship reign of almost six years. A rematch was scheduled, but Backlund was injured, and Hulk Hogan, born Terry Gene Bollea in Augusta, Georgia, was given his spot.

Six-foot-eight and around 300 pounds, with long blond hair and bronzed skin, Hogan entered the ring to his theme song, Survivor’s hit “Eye of the Tiger,” electrifying the Garden crowd. After the Sheik took an early advantage, Hogan turned the match around. He landed a kick to the Sheik’s face and followed up with a leg drop. jumping in the air and landing his leg on his fallen opponent. The bout was over in five minutes and 40 seconds, and Hogan was the new WWF champion.

The victory began what became known as “Hulkamania,” as Hogan’s phenomenal popularity led to a golden age for professional wrestling. A Southern, working-class hero in the eyes of his fans, Hogan advised young “Hulkamaniacs” to say their prayers and take their vitamins, and to believe in themselves.

His championship reign lasted four straight years, and his enduring popularity brought unprecedented mainstream attention to the sport. He lost the WWF title in 1988 to Andre the Giant but regained it the following year with a win over Randy “Macho Man” Savage; he would hold it four times between 1989 and 1993.

The WWF and owner Vince McMahon launched the first wrestling pay-per-view event, WrestleMania, in 1985, and Hogan headlined eight of the first nine WrestleMania fights. After taking a year off to concentrate on television and movie roles, Hogan signed with a rival league, Ted Turner’s World Championship Wrestling (WCW), helping to foster what was known as a “New World Order.”

He won the WCW championship title six times between 1994 and 1999, before returning to McMahon’s league, now known as World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE). Plagued by knee injuries, he left wrestling in 2003, but returned two years later amid hoopla over his induction into the WWE Hall of Fame.

No matter how tough the challenges may be in his professional life or his personal life, Hulk Hogan remains one of the most enduring and beloved names in American pop culture. He will forever be remembered for his impressive physical prowess, unbridled charisma, and his unique connection with his Hulkamaniacs. Like Muhammad Ali, Michael Jordan and Babe Ruth, Hulk Hogan is an icon who revolutionized his chosen sport.

#HulkHogan #TheHulkster #OldschoolWrestling
#WWF #Wrestling #WrestlingLegends
#80sMemories #Onthisday #WrestlingEvent
#Wrestler #SportsEntertainment #MSG
#Hulkamania #MadisonSquareGarden
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
On this day:
At 18th January of 1998, the eleventh annual Royal Rumble professional wrestling pay-per-view (PPV) event produced by the World Wrestling Federation (WWF), took place at the San Jose Arena in San Jose, California. It was the first one where "Stone Cold" Steve Austin officially became “the man” in the WWF. He was clearly becoming the face of the company and as a result WWF would soon pass WCW as the #1 wrestling promotion in the world again.

Remember that feeling you would get watching the Royal Rumble match ? You would hear the numbers winding down, waiting for the next entrant and you just knew it would be a big surprise! Or a big return!

Regardless, the Rumble was always exciting and most of the time, it was a way to catapult a rising star to the very top and to the main event scene. It seems however, that over the years, WWE has allowed the Rumble to lose luster and lose its true appeal by becoming boring, predictable and choosing the wrong winners so to speak for years and years now.

Back in 1998, the Royal Rumble match was all about "Stone Cold" Steve Austin. In fact, the 1997 and 1999 Rumbles were the same way, but in 1998, Austin made so many enemies heading in that it seemed everybody wanted a piece of him.

Before the match started, the gang known as Los Boricuas thought they had cornered Austin in his locker room and were planning a surprise attack. What followed was a beat down on a bald-headed biker named Skull, who was, in actuality, twin brother to 8-Ball and a member of the Disciples of Apocalypse.

Skull was scheduled to be in the Rumble, as was Austin, and when the buzzer went of for the 22nd entrant, nobody showed. Skeptical commentators hinted that it may have been Austin's number and that somebody had finally taken him out before he ever had the chance to enter. But two numbers later, Austin hit the ring, and we learned that Skull was the odd man out from the start. His partner 8-Ball had a great, lengthy run in the match, too, making matters slightly worse for the twin left out.

We all know who was going to win if yall was watching RAW the previous weeks building up to the Rumble. But it turned out to be a good Rumble to watch. It starts out with some "hardcore" wrestling between Cactus Jack and Terry Funk until The Rock got into it and then the ring would start to fill up.

It got personal between Owen Hart and Jeff Jarrett when Jarrett took out Hart before he entered the ring. Triple H and Chyna would come out and screw Hart which would lead to their match at Wrestlemania. Some good outside action with The Rock and Stone Cold. Predictable ending but we all knew who was going to win it.

In the main event, ‘Mr. Wrestlemania‘ Shawn Michaels and ‘The Phenom’ Undertaker fought for the WWF Championship in a pulsating casket match. Shawn Michaels, was the champion heading into the match, got ample support from his fellow Degeneration X members Triple H and Chyna. Furthermore, he was also assisted by the New Age Outlaws and Kane.

Kane’s interference cost Undertaker the match, and led to a match between the brothers of destruction at Wrestlemania 14. The ending of the match was chilling as Kane set fire to the Casket in which Undertaker was locked in. This match was the last time The Undertaker wrestled Shawn Michaels, before their historic Wrestlemania 25 match.

#RoyalRumble98 #RoyalRumble
#StoneColdSteveAustin #Onthisday #WWF
#SportsEntertainment #Wrestling #WrestlingEvent
#90sMemories #WrestlingLegends #OldschoolWrestling
#California #RoyalRumble98_20ThAnniversary
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
On this day:
At 13th January of 1999, NBA superstar Michael Jordan of the Chicago Bulls announces his retirement from professional basketball, for the second time, in front of a crowd at Chicago’s United Center.

In 1999, a 36-year MJ sat at his 2nd retirement press conference and reflected on not only the championship winning shot that he hit just 7 months prior, but also his amazing 13-year NBA career that re-defined sports and the business of sports thanks to his pioneering presence.

Michael Jordan had an outstanding college career, but left the University of North Carolina after his junior year when he was selected by the Chicago Bulls as the third-overall pick in the first round of the 1984 NBA draft. Jordan helped the Bulls make the playoffs in each of his first six seasons on the team.

In 1991, he got to his first NBA finals, where he led his team to the first of three consecutive championships. Shaken and disillusioned by the murder of his father and an NBA investigation into allegations of illegal betting (of which he was eventually cleared), Jordan announced his retirement from basketball in 1993.

He signed a minor league contract with the Chicago White Sox baseball team and was assigned to a White Sox affiliate team, the Birmingham Barons. Though his very presence on the field drew crowds, Jordan batted only .202 in his first summer, striking out 114 times in 127 games. By March 1995, he had decided to put down his bat and return to the basketball court.

After a disappointing finish in the 1994-95 season, Jordan (aided by his old allies Scottie Pippen and Coach Phil Jackson, as well as the new star Dennis Rodman), turned things around for the Bulls. Jordan led the league in scoring that year with 30.4 points per game and helped his team to a 72-10 record, the best regular season finish in the history of the NBA. The Bulls won three more consecutive NBA championships in 1996, 1997 and 1998, becoming the first team in league history to win three straight championships twice.

In his 12 full seasons with the Bulls, Jordan was voted the NBA’s Most Valuable Player five times and won six NBA Finals MVP awards, one for each final his Bulls played. Jordan’s second retirement announcement, in January 1999, came after bitter tension between General Manager Jerry Krause and Coach Jackson resulted in Jackson’s leaving Chicago.

In January 2000, Jordan became part-owner and president of basketball operations of the Washington Wizards, a struggling NBA franchise. After the Wizards won only 19 games in Jordan’s first full season in this position, he decided to rebuild the team, hiring the former Bulls coach Doug Collins.

Most surprisingly, the 38-year-old Jordan got himself into playing shape and came out of retirement yet again in September 2001 as a free agent with the Wizards. Though he scored his 30,000th career point on January 4, 2002, against his former team, the Bulls, Jordan was never able to lead the Wizards into playoff competition.

He retired for the third and final time on April 16, 2003, and is widely considered to have been the greatest player in the history of the sport. He is a two-time inductee into the Basketball Hall of Fame, having been enshrined in 2009 for his individual career, and again in 2010 as part of the group induction of the 1992 United States men's Olympic basketball team ("The Dream Team"). He became a member of the FIBA Hall of Fame in 2015.

#MichaelJordan #ChicagoBulls
#Bulls #NBA #BasketballPlayer
#Basketball #Sports
#Onthisday #90sMemories
#BasketballLegend #ShootingGuard
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
On this day:
At 11th January of 1993, Monday Night Raw, the longest running weekly episodic show of the World Wrestling Entertainment/Federation (WWE/F), debuts on television in the United States. Since its first episode, Raw has broadcast live from 208 different arenas in 171 cities and towns in ten different nations. As of the show's 1,000th episode that aired on July 23, 2012, Raw has become a three-hour broadcast from two hours, a format that had previously been reserved for special episodes.

Raw debuted on January 11, 1993, and has gone through more than one network, timeslot, and length since. It might be hard for younger WWE fans to imagine, but Raw wasn’t always three hours long, and sometimes had to miss weeks in the early days due to an annual dog show.

Raw also wasn’t always the WWE’s flagship program, with weekend airings of Superstars still often boasting more marquee match-ups when the now Monday night staple was still in its infancy. Raw's original set featured red, white, and blue ring-ropes, a blue ring-apron, blue steps, and a small stage made of neon tubes.

In 1995, the entrance way was changed to feature "Raw" in giant letters. In 1997, WWF changed to red ring-ropes for Raw as well as Raw Is War being written along the ring due to their rivalry with WCW. They also updated the stage to feature a large screen known as the TitanTron.

The WWF business expanded significantly on the shoulders of Vince McMahon and his babyface hero Hulk Hogan in the 1980's. Other wrestlers joined the roster, such as André the Giant, Roddy Piper, Jimmy Snuka, Don Muraco, The Iron Sheik, Nikolai Volkoff, Junkyard Dog, Paul Orndorff, Greg Valentine and "Macho Man" Randy Savage.

The 1980s "Wrestling Boom" peaked with the WrestleMania III pay-per-view at the Pontiac Silverdome in 1987, which set an attendance record of 93,173, a record that stood for 29 years until WrestleMania 32. A rematch of the WrestleMania III main event between WWF champion Hulk Hogan and André the Giant took place on The Main Event in 1988 and was seen by 33 million people, the most-watched wrestling match in North American television history.

Raw didn’t really kick into the high gear it mostly resides at today until the Attitude Era of the late 1990s, which featured the likes of “Stone Cold” Steve Austin, Bret Hart, The Rock, The Undertaker, Triple H, Shawn Michaels, Kane and Mick Foley.

Fittingly, several of those names are now confirmed to appear on WWE’s upcoming celebration of Raw’s 25th Anniversary, which airs on Monday, January 22. While technically a little later than the actual anniversary, the episode will jointly emanate from the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, and the Manhattan Center elsewhere in NYC.

In addition to all of the above names, famous non-wrestling managers and authority figures will be showing up too, including Eric Bischoff, Teddy Long, John Laurinaitis, and Brother Love. Bischoff hasn’t appeared on WWE TV since 2007 and has since worked for fellow wrestling company TNA, so that should be interesting.

#RAW #WWF #MondayNightRaw
#OldschoolWrestling #Wrestling
#WrestlingLegends #TVShow
#90sMemories #SportsEntertainment
#Onthisday #RAW_25ThAnniversary
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
On this day:
At 6th January of 1994, the figure skater Nancy Kerrigan is attacked after a practice session at Cobo Hall in Detroit, by rival Tonya Harding's ex-husband Jeff Gillooly and co-conspirator Shawn Eckardt, just one day before the U.S. National Championships and one month before the Winter Olympics in Lillehammer, Norway, in which Kerrigan was a gold medal favorite. The incident became known as "The Whack Heard Round the World".

The last great sports scandal of the pre-internet age began 24 years ago when Nancy Kerrigan suffered the "Whack Heard 'Round The World" during the U.S. figure skating championships in Detroit, leading up to the 1994 Winter Olympics in Lillehammer, Norway.

Nancy Kerrigan, 24 at the time, was on her way to the locker room before the U.S. Figure Skating Championships, when she was hit in the leg with a police baton by Shane Stant, who later was discovered as Tonya Harding‘s ex-husband’s friend.

It quickly became the scandal of the year. Over the next seven weeks, a surreal story of jealousy, vengeance and deceit played out in the sequined world of women's figure skating, leading the network news and captivating the nation as the conspiracy was revealed.

At first, the attack was horrible. It eventually turned ridiculous, in large part because of Harding's histrionics, building to a stunning crescendo at the Winter Olympics in Lillehammer, Norway, leaving us with the world's most famous bruised knee and the sixth-highest rated television show in U.S. history. Nearly half the nation, 48.5% of U.S. households, watched the women's short program Feb. 23, 1994, featuring both Tonya and Nancy, an event that had occurred hours earlier.

The huge audience tuned in even though most fans already knew the results from listening live on the radio (yes, there was a live national radio broadcast of figure skating that day) or watching the 6 o'clock news. Only the last episode of M*A*S*H, Dallas' "Who shot J.R.?", an episode of Roots and two Super Bowls had higher ratings.

Tonya-Nancy was a soap opera unlike any the nation had seen to that point, coming five months before the O.J. Simpson story and years ahead of reality TV. But it also was a sports event: Kerrigan recovered to win the 1994 Olympic silver medal while Harding's skate lace broke in a series of misadventures leading to a disappointing, but not surprising, eighth-place finish. Now in their 40s, both women are married with children and have moved on in predictably different ways.

#NancyKerrigan #TonyaHarding
#Sports #FigureSkating
#Detroit #Skating #IceSkating
#Onthisday #90sMemories
Add a comment...
Wait while more posts are being loaded