Post has attachment
Thurmond Train Station

Newly remodeled train station of a (nearly) Ghost Town in rural WV.


#LeftBehind #abandonedplaces #abandoned_junkies
#GhostTown #WV #train #railstation #trainstation #Thurmond 
Photo

Post has attachment
When The Rust Settles

Abandoned chair on and abandoned porch in a ghost town.


#LeftBehind #abandoned #abandonedplaces #abandoned_junkies #rust #ghosttown #lonelychair 
Photo

Post has attachment
Lonesome Rider

The other end of the tracks in the ghost town of Thurmond, WV.

(photo © Kyle Wilson)
-
#LeftBehind #GhostTown #Thurmond #WV #abandonedplaces
#RRtracks #railroad
Photo

Post has attachment
The Tower

So impressive is this coaling tower I just had to take multiple shots.
" The C&O’s coaling tower and sand house was designed by Fairbanks, Morse and Company of Chicago and was constructed in 1922 of reinforced concrete.11 A New York construction firm employed 25 to build the structure at a cost of $85,000. The C&O retained use of its steam locomotives more than any other major railroad operator, and the coaling tower and sand house was only abandoned in 1960 ".

(photo © Kyle Wilson)
-------------------------
#LeftBehind #GhostTown #Thurmond #WV #Railroad #CORailway 
Photo

Post has attachment
Coaling Tower

The coaling tower in ghost town of Thurmond, WV.

(photo © Kyle Wilson)
-------
#LeftBehind #GhostTown #Thurmond #WV #abandonedplaces
Photo

Post has attachment
391

Marker along the C&O Railroad in Thurmond, WV. This was once a classic boom town. With the huge amounts of coal brought in from area mines, it had the largest revenue on the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway.
---------------
#LeftBehind #Thurmond #WV #Railroad #CORailway #GhostTown #abandonedplaces
Photo

Post has attachment
National Bank of Thurmond (B&W)

Black and White version of my previous photo.

(photo © Kyle Wilson)
---------------
#LeftBehind #GhostTown #Thurmond #WV #abandonedplaces #BWphotography
Photo

Post has attachment
National Bank of Thurmond

" The year 1917 marked the completion of this building by the Bullock Realty Company. It originally housed a jewelry store, clothing store, the Western Union Telegraph Company, and apartments. In 1923, the National Bank of Thurmond relocated there from its original site within the Hotel Thurmond. The bank failed in 1931, with the onset of The Great Depression. More recently, the building housed the Banker’s Club Hotel and Restaurant, serving boaters and other visitors ".
[ source: https://www.nps.gov/neri/learn/historyculture/upload/Thurmond2008.pdf ]

(photo © Kyle Wilson)
-------------------------
#LeftBehind #GhostTown #Thurmond #WV #abandonedplaces 
Photo

Post has attachment
Goodman-Kincaid Building

The Goodman-Kincaid Building is a three-story structure, constructed in 1906 with two stores and two floors of apartments. The Standard Dry Goods Company purchased the lot and constructed the stone-facaded building in 1907. It was built as two separate sections which shared a common front. Standard operated out of the building until 1918.

The second floor hosted Dr. C.F. Ridge’s office and the telephone exchange. Over time, the main floor has been home to two stores and several resturants, including Mrs. McClure's (a favorite eatery in Thurmond well into the 1940's). Residents lived in the building until 1959, when the roof started to collapse. It has since been stabilized.

--------------------
#LeftBehind #Thurmond #ThurmondWV #ghosttown #BankandTrust
#abandonedplaces #abandoned #railroad 
Photo

Post has attachment
New River Bank and Trust

One of the first majestic old buildings you will encounter in the (nearly) Ghost Town of Thurmond, WV.

(photo © Kyle Wilson)
-
Marking the southern limits of the commercial district
and constructed in 1904 by Dr. J. W. Mankin, this building
is the oldest in the district. The Mankin Drug Company
was on the right side; the left side housed the New River
Banking and Trust Company.
With the onset of the Great Depression, several
businesses closed, including the National Bank of
Thurmond. The town’s economic vitality waned after two
large fires wiped out several major businesses.
By the mid 1930s there were other indications that
Thurmond’s heyday was ending. The American public
had begun its love affair with the automobile, and good
roads made travel by car easy. C & O Railway changed
from steam to diesel locomotives in the 1940s. Thurmond
had been a steam town, its rail yard and crews geared
toward the short service intervals of steam locomotives.
The switch to diesels left many of the rail yard structures
and jobs obsolete.
(source: https://www.nps.gov/neri/planyourvisit/upload/Thurmond2008.pdf)
--------------------------------
#LeftBehind #Thurmond #ThurmondWV #ghosttown #BankandTrust
#abandonedplaces #abandoned #railroad 
Photo
Wait while more posts are being loaded