Post is pinned.
Interested in joining the Mt Shasta Ski Patrol as a Volunteer?
How do I join?

If you are interested in the Volunteer Patrol, please review the FAQ's below and complete the Candidate Interest Form. Upon receipt of the form, you will be contacted. Based upon a review of your qualifications, you may be asked to meet with us for an interview.

About the Volunteer Patrol

The Volunteer Patrol is the volunteer division of the Mt Shasta Ski Patrol for the Mt. Shasta Ski Park. We are not paid employees of the Ski Park and we do not have set work schedules. Our members volunteer their time to serve as patrollers. We generally patrol on busy days which includes weekends and holidays. A majority of our members reside throughout northern California and have established careers within their respective communities. We are diverse in age, experience and professions, and are all drawn together by the love of patrolling. Members of the Volunteer Patrol are also members of the National Ski Patrol. The local National Ski Patrol for the area is the Mt Shasta Patrol. This patrol is part of the Northern California Region of the Far West Division of the National Ski Patrol system.

New to Patrolling - Please review the FAQ's about the Volunteer Patrol, and if you are interested in joining, please complete a Candidate Interest Form

Transferring & Experienced Patrollers - Please review the FAQ's about the Volunteer Patrol, and if you are interested in joining, please complete a
Transferring Patroller Interest Form

FAQ's about joining the Volunteer Patrol

How do I start ?

To become a basic patroller, you will first need to apply to be in the "Candidate Program" and once accepted, train as a patrol "candidate". Review the following FAQ's and fill out the Candidate Interest Form. Upon receipt of the Candidate Interest Form, our Candidate Adviser will review your form and contact you. Based upon your qualifications and experience, you will be advised of training information and/or suggestions on how to proceed.
What are the requirements for acceptance into the Patroller Candidate Program?

There are five basic requirements:

(1) Successfully complete an interview process.
(2) Successfully pass a skiing or boarding test.
(3) Possess a current CPR certification.
(4) Possess a current OEC (Outdoor Emergency Care), EMT, Wilderness First Responder or higher certification.
(you may begin candidate training if you are currently enrolled in an approved medical course)
(5) Register with the National Ski Patrol.

How good of a skier or snowboarder do I have to be?

We are looking for skiers & snowboarders who are stable and confident anywhere on our mountain. We have a wide variety of terrain and features, and our conditions may change dramatically throughout any given day. We don't expect pretty, but we do expect competent.

What is the ski and boarding test?

Generally you will be asked to demonstrate basic skiing or boarding skills to include a variety of techniques involving turns, stops; traversing, ascending, sideslipping and gliding maneuvers. Those who test will be required to pass in order to be accepted into the candidate program.

I'm a snowboarder? Can I still join the patrol?

Yes, we are looking for skiers, snowboarders, and teleskiers. Mt. Shasta Ski Patrol has one of the largest "Boarder" Patrols in the United States.

I'm a teleskier? Can I still join the Patrol?

Yes, we are looking for skiers, snowboarders, and teleskiers.

How do I get the medical training?

The National Ski Patrol has developed a course referred to as "Outdoor Emergency Care" (OEC) and certification in OEC is required of all patrollers. This is an ~80 hr course which is given in the summer or fall and is offered through the National Ski Patrol's local patrols throughout the nation. This nationally recognized program is designed to help you manage the toughest emergencies, in all seasons. The course is comparable in scope to a basic EMT course, but with more emphasis on outdoor trauma and medical emergencies. For current courses offered, you may go on-line to and check under Calendars and Far West Courses.

Alternative options to taking an OEC course include:

Taking an EMT course through one of your local colleges or EMS organizations;

Taking a Wilderness First Responder (WFR) course through one of the following providers:
Wilderness Medicine Institute (WMI);
Stonehearth Open Learning Opportunities (SOLO);
Wilderness Medical Associates (WMA);
*Any WFR course must be a minimum of 72 hours to qualify to challenge the OEC* (see below)

Upon receiving an EMT or WFR certification, you will be required to certify in OEC to be a Basic Patroller. This certification can be acquired by "challenging" the OEC course. (see below)
I am already an WFR or EMT-B or higher. Do I need to take an OEC course?

No. If the WFR or EMT or higher certification course you took qualifies and your certification / licensing is current, you may "Challenge" the OEC course. This involves successfully passing a written exam and practical skills test.

Challenge applicants must meet one or more of the following:

> Emergency trained and currently certified as: EMT, MD/DO, PA/NP, RN, or LPN .
> Previous OEC certification provided the expired OEC certification date has not exceeded three years.
> Certain wilderness first responders whose courses have a minimum of 72 hours of course work (currently approved are WMI, WMA, and SOLO).
> Other certifications may be approved by the national education director after consultation with the national OEC Program director. This is based upon the submission and review of appropriate curriculum materials.
> Challenge time requirements (total hours) will vary with background, specialty, and experience.
> Challenge applicants must practice skills with an OEC instructor prior to the challenge testing.
> If the OEC challenge applicant fails any portion of the challenge examination, there is no retest opportunity and the applicant must then participate in a full OEC course.

During your candidate training, we will offer periodic OEC Challenge testing.
My OEC Certification has expired. What are my options?

If your OEC certification date has not exceeded three years, you may "challenge" the OEC Course. If it has been over three years, you will need to take and OEC or other approved course.

What is involved in the Candidate Program?

Upon acceptance into our Candidate Program, there are a series of disciplines that you will be trained and evaluated in to become a Basic Patroller
These include:

(1) Skiing/Boarding Proficiency
(2) Toboggan-Handling Proficiency
(3) Incident Site Management
(4) Hill Safety
(5) Medical & Rescue Skills
(6) OEC Certification
(7) Basic Patrol Test

Upon successful completion of the Program you will qualify as a Basic Patroller.

What days and times is Candidate Training offered?

Candidate training is only offered on weekends during the ski season. A schedule of specific training dates will be provided to you during our annual "On-the-hill" two day refresher held in November, which you will be required to attend. In addition, you will be required to attend a Pre-season training weekend, usually held in September or October. All candidates who train during the ski season, are expected to put in a full day. Report times are 0715 hrs (booted up and ready to ski) and training generally ends after sweep.....approximately 1630 hrs.

How much time is required in the Candidate Program?

Simply stated, candidate training is a BIG time commitment! Anyone that is interested, should give it serious consideration, before jumping in. Candidate training is significant.....for both yourself and your family. It does not permit much latitude for missed classes. It is important that this is understood. Candidates will be expected to attend all training sessions. Training will be on Saturdays or Sundays or both (full weekends). The average training period for a candidate is 2 months. This period will vary based upon your commitment, skills and experience.
It is a big commitment, but the job of being a Ski Patroller is a big ultimately you will likely be in a position to save someone's life.
Ski Patrol can be a very rewarding and exciting experience. Through this training you will gain self confidence, knowledge, and important skills that will help you on and off the hill. Responding to emergency situations isn't something most people do or plan on doing, but responding and managing emergency situations is part of what we do.....and with the training we will be ready to handle them with confidence.
There is no better feeling in the world to know that you were the one that made a positive difference someone's life.

Are there any costs involved in the Candidate Program?

Cost of your Candidate Training will be covered through your NSP dues. During your candidate training days, you will be issued a complimentary lift ticket. Meals, travel, ski equipment, helmets*, clothing and other items will be at your own expense. There are initial costs prior to training.....those involved in acquiring your medical certifications, CPR card and your annual National Ski Patrol dues.
* During training, candidates are required to wear a helmet.

Our annual NSP dues are $90 and all patrollers are required to pay them. Usually these dues are paid at our annual refresher in November. Candidates are required to pay these dues prior to any training. These dues are non-refundable.

An OEC Challenge is $60. If you need to challenge the OEC, this fee is paid prior to the challenge test......given periodically throughout the ski season.

CPR training is $25; Helmets: $40 - $120. Patrollers are required to wear a ski helmet (solid black in color). It can generally be any make and model approved ski helmet.
Black ski pants. Pants must be solid black and can be of any make and model.

**All costs are approximate**
As a Patroller, how often must I patrol?

To maintain an "active" status, you must patrol a minimum of ten days per season, attend our annual 2-day Patrol Refreshers in November; and maintain OEC and CPR proficiency.

Do Patrollers receive any benefits?

Yes. Mt. Shasta Volunteer Patrollers receive several benefits. In general these benefits include daily comp passes, meal tickets, employee and family season passes. Employee and family season passes are based upon the number of days patrolled in the previous season. The more days patrolled the better the benefits.

I'm a current Patroller at another ski area. Can I transfer to Mt. Shasta?

Yes. We welcome both past and current patrollers from other areas. Please fill out the Transferring Patroller Interest Form and we will be glad to discuss with you the requirements for transferring to Mt. Shasta.

Who do I talk to if I have questions?

The Candidate Advisor is your primary contact with the patrol. He/she will help guide you through the entire candidate process, coordinate your training and answer all your questions. To get started, please fill out a Candidate Interest Form and our Candidate Advisor will be in touch with you.
Add a comment...

Post has attachment

Post has attachment

Post has attachment
Wait while more posts are being loaded