Black Friday Results for Major Retail Brands x Brand x Category x Device
On Friday, November 28,, G/O Digital, the digital marketing services group for Gannett, released retail & Black Friday reporting data based on its access to all promoted products, sales, down to the store, location levels from WalMart, Target, Kohls + all the major retailers.
The data is based on an in-depth year-over-year analysis of online holiday promotions across more than 40 retailers, 2,500 brands and 50,000 stores in the U.S, including Walmart, Target, Macy’s, Sears, Office Depot and Payless Shoe Source. It provides a glimpse into the interest levels, interactions and purchase intentions of holiday shoppers leading up to Thanksgiving and Black Friday.
Findings by Category
High level by Brand
• Retailers showing the highest increase for November include Toys R Us, Home Depot, PetCo, and Kohl’s.
• Highest increases for Black Friday include Toys R Us, BrandsMart, IKEA, CVS, and Lowe’s.
Which products are the hot-ticket items (being promoted) this holiday season? (based on Categories Being Promoted (All of Nov) and selected (Thanksgiving Day + Morning of Black Friday) for Home Improvement, Office Supply and Craft Sectors)
· Kitchen Appliances
· Power Tools
· Electrical & Lighting
· Paints & Stains
· Seasonal (Holiday Ornaments & Lights, Christmas Trees)
· Washing Machines
· Hand Tools
· Kitchenware & Cookware
· Small Kitchen Appliances
· Multi-Function Printers
· Office Chairs
· Office Supplies (Pens, Paper)
· Desktop Computers
· Accessories (Headphones, Keyboards/Mice)
· Data Storage (External Hard Drives)
· Craft Supplies (Rubber Stamping, Scrapbooking, Kids Crafts)
· Home Furnishings (Decorative Items)
· Sewing Supplies
· Artificial Flowers
· Yarn & Needlework
Top 10 promoted toys during the holiday season by leading retailers.
· Disney (Dolls & Dollhouses) – Disney Frozen
· Lego (Construction Toys)
· Fisher-Price (Learning Toys, Pretend Play)
· Barbie (Dolls & Dollhouses)
· Hot Wheels (Toy Cars & Trucks)
· Nerf (Sports Toys)
· Transformers (Action Figures)
· LeapFrog (Learning Toys)
· Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Action Figures)
· VTech (Learning Toys)
Consumers respond in large numbers, planning their shopping through the month of November with large increases – Thanksgiving Day & Black Friday morning..
· 11% increase in page views on leading retailers’ websites over last year for November
· 40% for Thanksgiving Day
· 8pm CST peak hour on Thanksgiving Day
· 52% for Black Friday morning
· 5% increase in visits on leading retailers’ websites over last year for November
· 34% for Thanksgiving Day
· 23% for Black Friday morning
Time on Site
· 10% increase in visits on leading retailers’ websites over last year for November
Retailers driving the traffic increases include hhgregg, IKEA, Aldi, Staples, Kohl’s, and Canadian Tire.
Highest increases for Thanksgiving Day include hhgregg, Kohl’s, and Staples.
Highest increases for Black Friday morning include hhgregg, Kohl’s, IKEA, and Meijer.
Locally relevant, mobile promotions have the power to move shoppers from their screens into physical stores during the holidays.
Total Traffic By Device (desktop, smartphone & tablet)
Mobile phone and tablet usage, as consumers look to shop anytime and anywhere.
· 37% growth for mobile for month of November
· 98% for Thanksgiving Day
· 9% growth for mobile for month of November
· 22% for Thanksgiving Day
Retailers driving the increase include Kohl’s, hhgregg, Aldi, Canadian Tire, and Staples.
Highest increases for Thanksgiving Day include hhgregg, Kohl’s, Staples, and Office Depot (OfficeMax).
Peak Traffic Times (Thanksgiving Day + Morning of Black Friday)
· 8pm CST peak traffic hour on Thanksgiving Day, as compared to 6pm CST hour for 2013
· During this 8pm CST peak hour, accumulated 4.1M page views across all retailers
· Traffic grows each hour on Black Friday morning, 9am CST the peak at 3.4M page views so far.
Top viewed on Thanksgiving Day include Kohl’s, Toys R Us (Babies R Us), Home Depot, and Meijer.
Top viewed on Black Friday morning include Kohl’s, Home Depot, Toys R Us (Babies R Us), and Meijer.
After a record breaking rise in deals last year, leading retailers are continuing to promote their products well in advance of Black Friday.
· 3% for Black Friday (increase over 2013)
Retailers showing the highest increase for November:
Toys R Us, Home Depot, PetCo, and Kohl’s
Highest increases for Black Friday:
Toys R Us, BrandsMart, IKEA, CVS, and Lowe’s.