"I'm just checking to see if you received my previous email..."
I'm not sure who came up with the concept that sending a second email within 24 hours of the first makes a lot of sense, but it's quite annoying and obvious that an automation system is doing it. There's nothing wrong with sending a second email to non-responders, as it will generally get 50% of the original email response, but not within the first 24 hours, and definitely not with the exact same email (even if you send it with different subject line).
If you get these types of emails, please reply with two points:
1) Give me more than 24 hours
2) Change up the content and the subject line (and especially don't try to pretend we talked.
As marketers we are often asked to help choose the company holiday card that will be sent to customers and clients. Every year I receive about a dozen cards and gifts. For companies, the holiday greeting card can be a great brand reinforcement device to customers and prospects if developed well.
You can go the safe route, which most companies do, and provide a thoughtful greeting, or stretch the boundaries a little to reinforce your brand. Below are my top choices for most memorable holiday card.
* Love letter from my mistress - actually, I don't have a mistress but I did come home from work one holiday to find my wife in tears, holding a handwritten letter. She shoved it in my face and told me to explain it. It indeed was a letter from a person in love (presumably with me). As I looked at the letter holiday greeting, and turned it over there was a copy of an artist's recent print (www.marcuspierson.com) which I collect. What's unique about the print, other than their visual brilliance, is that there's a story handwritten in each one. The agent at the gallery had come up with the idea to send this letter out to past customers. Great idea as I bought the recent print. The one exception being my wife getting to it first.
* Seinfeld's Human Fund episode where George creates a fake charity. While not a card I received personally, I have received charitable donations in my name. But if I were the show and wanted to sell episode DVDs to consumers, that card would be great. There's a Festivus for the rest of us!
* My most memorable greeting is an electronic greeting I received from Nstorm, inc. In 1999, this gamification company developed and emailed a greeting card to prospects and clients called Elf Bowling. Santa's elves were on strike and he was going to show them what a strike meant. To this day I think about that greeting each holiday and remember Nstorm. More importantly it reinforced their brand and what they did perfectly. It had an online component with a community so you could put your score online and compete. It was funny, simple and drove the message home.
Unfortunately, most companies aren't willing to go out on a limb in such a unique way. Too bad because I smile and remember that company over 10 years later.
- McGladreySr. Director, Go To Market Services, 2002 - present
Professional services marketing, including technology and accounting marketing align perfectly for leveraging today's social media and web 2.0 technologies to improve relationships and accelerate sales. But you have to have an understanding of many media, both traditional and new, and sales to make it all work together.
I bring a unique understanding of all areas of marketing and sales; from strategy and positioning, to creative production and implementation, helping me work with professionals to establish programs that align to their capabilities and their prospects and clients' willingness to engage.
- University of Texas at AustinAdvertising, 1982 - 1986
- Roosevelt UniversityMasters of Marketing Communications, 1993 - 1995
5 ways LinkedIn beats Facebook for B2B marketing | The Wall Blog
There appears to be a very ill-informed debate about whether LinkedIn or Facebook is better for B2B marketing. To me it’s a no brainer, Link
Women for Women : Watch as a female traveler goes it alone without her b...
Via adrants : Celebrating the notion that loving couples don't truly love absolutely everything about their partners, Booking.com, with help
How to Easily Double Your Traffic from Social Media
One great way to do this is to share your content on social media more than once.
Keeping B2B Marketing Content "Human" - Keeping it Human
There would be a lot less bad marketing in the world if executives were forced to read all the ineffective, sometimes downright awful, conte
Rita Gunther McGrath on the End of Competitive Advantage
The Columbia Business School professor says the era of sustainable competitive advantage is being replaced an age of flexibility. Are you re
George Parker: veteran US adman Fred Goldberg lifts the lid on ‘The Insa...
I’ve just finished reading Fred Goldberg’s recently published book…
5 Tips for Battling a Negative SEO Attack on Your Site
Is your site being targeted by negative SEO? Check out these tips for knowing if your site is being targeted and how to overcome it.
How to Get the Best Results From Your Company's Social Media Policy
We spoke with several social pros to get hands-on advice on creating and maintaining an ideal social media policy for your company.