Start a hangout
951 followers|18,679 views
Works at New York University
Attended ITP, St. John's College Santa Fe
Lives in New York City
951 followers|18,679 views
CEO, Windowfarms | Entrepreneur-in-Residence, ITP @ NYU | Adjunct Professor, Design for Urban Agriculture, ITP @ NYU
Startups, Open Source Community Management, Innovation Management, Hardware, User Centered Design, Experience Design, Installations, Ecommerce,
- New York UniversityEntrepreneur-in-Residence, 2014 - presentResearching and developing new products for urban agriculture and working with administration to start a Fiber Lab at ITP featuring tools to fabricate with fiber in three dimensions.
- New York UniversityAdjunct Professor, Interactive Telecommunications Program, Design for Urban Agriculture, 2014 - presentTeach graduate students fundamentals of user centered technology design through the lens of urban agriculture. Students conduct user research on both "eaters" and crops, write briefs, create proposals, and execute prototype systems to empower consumers in dense urban environments to produce some of the ingredients they love to eat just steps from the table.
- R&D-I-Y & The Windowfarms ProjectDirector, 2009 - presentFounded, launched, and running an opensource mass collaboration website with over 50,000 users designed to bring opensource collaboration to physical hardware and hacking our homes in service of the environment. The TED talk about R&D-I-Y and the Windowfarms project has inspired over a million people to see themselves as makers and hobbyist inventors.
- Windowfarms.comCEO, 2010 - presentFounded, launched, funded, and running the most recognized global brand in urban agriculture. Windowfarms gives consumers, restauranteurs, institutions and schools a living garden they can harvest indoors for improved quality of urban life and fresh produce year-round. Windowfarms manufactures a vertical food garden for indoor use and collaborates with a network of farmers to deliver live food plants via monthly or weekly subscription. Clients include the American Museum of Natural History, National Geographic Society, and Freshii, the international healthy casual restaurant franchise, and thousands of North American consumers. Windowfarms is a for-profit funding the Windowfarms project.
- Submersible Design & InteractivePartner, 2007 - 2009Lead business partner at an interaction design firm bringing web 2.0 to the museum and environmental non-profit sector. Wrote the plan for a $5M overhaul of the Smithsonian's public educational website that would serve as a case study for web 2.0 implementation institution-wide, encourage scientific researchers to engage with the public, and set a precedent for the federal government's use of open source stacks. The site eventually launched as oceans.sci.edu. Created interactive sites and installations for the Museum of Science and Industry, the American Museum of Natural History, the Whitney Museum of American Art and many other cultural institutions.
- WatchwordCEO, 2004 - 2005Founded a startup producing personal productivity apps designed for women in the PDA market. The Watchword app discretely notified users about schedule timing and tasks and used geo-location to trigger reminders for household management.
- MaybellineProject Manager, Development- Marketing/Manufacturing Liaison, 2004 - 2005Liaison between marketing and manufacturing responsible for keeping new and rebranded product development on schedule at high quality standards during rapid-response production cycles for our biggest retail customers.
- Good Old Fashioned DocsCo-Founder, CMO, 2000 - 2003Pivoted, repositioned, and rebranded a primary physician's clinic from an indistinguishable choice on a list of in-network physicians to the first clinic in Texas to focus on providing "good old fashioned doctoring" to the uninsured and small businesses. Implemented online and phone consultations. Overhauled internal financial management and technology capabilities.
- Swatch Lab, NYCInternational Communications Coordinator, 1997 - 1998Managed communications, social websites, advertising projects, artwork, and new product development projects at the New York innovation lab of the Swatch watch brand. Projects included: 1) the Swatch Paparazzi Smart Watch collaboration with Microsoft's SPOT lab, 2) the Internet Time collaboration with the MIT media lab for development of the .Beat line of digital watches, 3) the launch of the SKIN campaign with Tyra Banks, 4)
- Austin-American Statesman Newspaper, Crosswinds Weekly, Brenham Banner Press & several other new publicationsStaff or Contributing Reporter & Photographer, 1995 - 2003Researched, wrote, and published more than 50 news stories on current events and the emerging tech industry in Austin as well as in-depth investigative pieces, travel guides, and reviews.
New York City
I grew up on a ranch in Texas but I live in New York City. On a recent trip back to the local bar, The Green Door Saloon, the owner was grilling me about how I could live in "that dirty crowded city." I told him that I often miss the natural landscape of Texas so much it hurts. But, I've also fallen for Gotham's landscape of people. I saw just as much beauty in the way people came together in the blackout of 2003 and the way they are coming together now in times of trial for our generation, when there's a lot of work to be done. I wish it weren't so, but decisions being made in the cities, impact the future of our rural areas. To keep our natural beauty thriving, I want to take part in the meeting of minds that drives our country's future. Then one day I can come back out to the countryside and know that its been well preserved for the generations to come.
- ITP, St. John's College Santa Fe