Guru Nanak Dev Polytechnic College is one of the leading polytechnics in Punjab. It is located in ideal surroundings at a distance of 6.5 km. from the Ludhiana Railway station. It bounded by the Sidhwan Canal on the North, Gill Minor on South and Ludhiana-Malerkotla Road on the West. The total area of the College Campus is 88 acres at present.
In the joint Punjab there were several Institutions which provides facilities for the training of Engg. & Technical personal. After partition, all these facilities were left behind. There were practically no facilities in Punjab at that time for the training of supervisory & advanced technical personal and very limited facilities for higher Engg. education. This was a great handicap in the industrial development of the Punjab State. Realizing the difficulty and anticipating great economic and industrial development arising out of the Bhakra and Nangal projects and other development schemes and Cottage Industries, the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee, Amritsar, decided to start a first rate Public Institution in Punjab to provide facilities for the training of Engineers & Particularly for the training of technician capable of supervising small industries firms especially in the rural areas.
The foundation Stone of this institute was laid by Shri. N. V. Gadgil Ex - Governor of Punjab on 16th March, 1959.