SXSW KEYNOTE: Adam Savage on Science + Art
Main problem with art + science
They've been drifting apart
1) We see science and art as opposite from each other
2) We think science and art as separate from US
3) Once we think we can't understand something, we don't try to
Ignorance does not equal bliss
How do we understand what's going on?
2) Talking to each other
This is called CULTURE - it's overt and covert
Culture is us; reactions to the world an situations around us
Being active is better.
Are Art + Science separate from us?
- Culturally, we separate culture between high and low, the middle is the stuff we enjoy
- Cinema: art that rides in the middle
- It's still split between artists or charlatans
- Tortured artists or doofuses
- Our response to difficult art: "i don't know much about art but I know what I like"
BUT Art isn't only what e like!
WHY? There is no wrong response to culture; we are all agents of it
There is plenty of bad art. Egalitarianism is in our response to itWe don't think we're qualified to discuss science really
> Usually there's something too complex or too silly that we are talking about (flygin cars)
> We picture our scientists as same - nerds and geeks below Science is Not the Death of Art
.> The scientific method is not opposite of creativity
1) Come up with a Question
> How do you come up with a question? It's a creative endeavor to make this precise
> Important to argue, bring rigor to the question, figure out what the right answer is
2) Form a Hypothesis
> Why could this be?
> Make it a testable hypothesis
> This is a self-generating act
> The moment you form up with a hypothesis, you can develop another
3) Form a Experiment to Test
> This requires imagination to create, test, fulfill
Art often responds to the culture of science happening at any given time.
> See how cubism responds to
How we converse about who we are and what we're doing
> Nothing is beyond your understandingQ+A
Always thing about who you are actually talking to, not "who" you are talking to
New media/old media - old media doesn't know what it's doing either#ieeesavage #sxsw