The Honest Economy: How Radical Transparency Can Help Your Business Explode in 2014 and Beyond
Liveblogging Notes: +Marcus Sheridan
> ZMOT: The first experience a consumer has with your company.
- The first moment someone calls you, fills out a website form, engages with you (and you know it)
- Today, 70% of the buying decision is made before ZMOT!
- What does this mean for you?
- They are way more educated by the time they get to you
- Does this mean just having a great website? As consumers we are:
1) More impatient online than we've ever been
... because our expectations have changed
2) More demanding than we've ever been
3) More loyal than we've ever been... potentially
... if we find the perfect website, information website, we will stay a long time - and we decide quickly
> Look beyond the rules
> Ask if there is a better way
- Embrace the messy, the unexpected, the learning discovery
> Don't be the one who says
- Say: Is that possible, can that be possible?
- What we are talking about here today is: Better Listening, better communicating, and better teaching, which leads to connectionOstrich Marketing
> Burying your head in the sand does't make the problem go away
> It's officially a dumb strategy
- What things have do you NOT want to talk about on your website?
- We think that if we control the conversation we will be better off
- We try to talk around the REAL issues
- AVOID this
Instead - Inbound Marketing
They Ask, You Answer
> How many questions had he received about fiberglass pools? Thousands.
> How many questions have you received about your industry?
---- How many of these issues are answered RIGHT NOW on your website?
---- Probably not many, because ostrich marketing is for the masses
---- But for the minority, TRANSPARENCY and honest will make people raise their eyebrows
5 Big Subjects that Move EVERY Industry
5) BestEmbracing the $$$ Question
> Consumers have a mentality
> People get frustrated because they know that YOU know and just aren't telling you
> In the Moment, it makes you feel like someone is lying to you
= No Trust
Trust is the most powerful word online. Can you build more trust than anyone else? You can't build it by hiding things
- Competitors will see my prices, it might scare people away
- There is no way competitors will ever find your pricing
- Within first 5 minutes they ask us a simple question
"What might I spend on this here pool?"
--- First article on website "How much does a fiberglass pool cost?"
- Ultimately the answer is "it depends" --- but being willing to say it depends online, Google surfaced this content because NOBODY was addressing the need
---- One article has made over $2 Million in sales -- because they were willing to say "it depends"
-- You don't always have to have an answer, but you MUST be willing to address the problems.
* Versus *
We love to compare things
> The reason we don't do this in marketing? We feat the competition
* Awards / Reviews*
> Rankings simplify things
- We are fascinated by "the best" and we love this
- Create your own awards! (Pools: manufacturers and installers, did an honest comparison of al different types of pools. The manufacturers promoted it!)
- Everyone wants to be invited o the party!
- Inbound links to post "Small Inground Fiberglass Design Awards for 2010) - 90% of links came from competition because they were announcing they had received an award for best pool in class.
- What awards can you create in your community that would delve out and maximize your INFLUENCE to your COMMUNITY.
> Think WAY beyond your community.
- Ex: Pet finder assoc. naming best vets in the area
- What gives you the right to do this? Do it!The Best
> Who are the best pool builders in this local area? (Reviews/Ratings)
- Consumer question: "If we didn't choose you, who should we use?" - They Ask, You Answer.
> Am I on the list of 5?
- The Moment I put myself on a best of list, I lose trust and credibility
- If you are reading this article ou are on my website, in my home
- It's assumed you're better than anyone else
If you search "Best Pool Builders Richmond, VA"
Or "Reviews (Competitor Name) Richmond, VA
-- The first one you will read is US
- When vetting us online, these guys are SO honest, maybe I should call them too
Article => 100k sales
"Best Of" Articles that are Competitors but Not Competitors too
- Started answering questions, grew more - started in 2009. Today River Pools and Spas is most trafficked pool website in the world, with 15 employees.
All because they said "Why Don't We Be a Better Teacher"
- Think More Like a Consumer than Anyone Else!