#noemail in 45 seconds
Kinda covers it
Kinda covers it
6 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 8 previous comments
- I'm a big fan of too. Not quite godlike, but I'll give him superhero status. That's why I want to make sure it is understood that I wasn't trying to dismiss noemail, just trying to see if I could apply it to my day to day work environment.
But it does break. When I first read about this weeks ago, my first response was to write up a big e-mail with questions and send it to him. Obviously that wouldn't work, so I figured I'd call. But I hate calling. It's synchronous and interrupt driven. I'm not on Facebook or Twitter. When I saw he was on G+, I added him to my circles.
But as you can see, posting even the slightest critical comment in an environment of fans comes with its own risks. I watched the video above and I saw a 45 second piece that merely stated the problem and what Paul was attempting. I learned nothing that would cause me to change.
I run a software company that does support in over 25 countries around the world. We use e-mail to drive the support workflow. I'd love to learn about options if it helps me deliver better service to my clients.
But I'm also a person who needs convincing. Someone says e-mail sucks or is for old people, I'm going to take the opposite position just to explore the subject.
Perhaps I am a little old. This whole social network thang might not be for me.Jul 13, 2011
- i didn't watch the video, i skimmed your remarks, i made an offhand comment, i apologize. srsly, I'm sorry. and i still have email. and i'm going to bed.Jul 13, 2011
- Sorry, I had another set of thoughts:
The thing is, I have only the vaguest, most limited understanding of why Paul Jones is doing #noemail. But I know 3 things:
1) Paul Jones invented ibiblio
2) Paul Jones was the first person whom I had not met who asked, when I phoned him about a professional matter, "Hey, why are we not Facebook friends?"
3) Paul Jones knew about Julie Powell's blog before the book OR the movie.
For these reasons, I think that if Paul Jones permanently stops using email, then we all, eventually, will permanently stop using email.Jul 13, 2011
- To me it comes down to signal/noise ratio. Once a carcass has been covered by the maggots of spam and other uninvited guests, there comes a point when it is best to just walk away.Jul 13, 2011
- Just to be clear, I am in no way associated with the "balog" in the WRAL article comments.Jul 14, 2011
- Thanks, Paul, for the heads up! I noticed how earlier on commented on one of the threads I opened up myself and shared some further insights in there on what my #lawwe has been since Feb 2008; just my ¢2 to add further into the conversation...Jul 14, 2011