Oh, hey, the approaches from Apocalypse World games like AW and Tremulus work as FAE approaches. Hmmmmmmm
10 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 8 previous comments
- I have a quirk that makes me pair approaches and skills in my head when I design. So I see Careful/Quick, Force/Clever, Flashy/Sneaky when I look at the base approaches.
Working on porting over Reality Blurs' TREMULUS (Cthulhu with Haiku engine, a variant on AW) and I'm getting to Reason/Passion , Flashy/Sneaky, Brutal/Careful
BTW, if adding or subtracting approaches -- like, say, I wanted to just use the 5 AW apporaches -- how would you tweak the numbers? +3, +2, +1, +1, 0?
And I LOVE adding the Solo/Buddy/Team factor, BTW. +1/0/-1, or is there a design chunk/philosophy that you should never have a negative? You'd probably have to tweak the original matrix in that case to top out at +2, like in the great Pathfinder FAEOct 29, 2013
- Yeah, I'd probably go +3/+2/+1/+1/+0 for a five-set. The point is to give one apex (+3), a minority quantity of supporting-apex (+2), and one weak spot (+0). With six, having the supporting-apex be about a third, so two, seemed sensible. You're providing room for growth and development as well as a clear shape for focusing on "what's this character about?" outside of what the aspects tell you.Oct 29, 2013
- You could go +1/+0/-1 if you wanted Solo/Buddy/Team as a modifier rather than its own rollable stat-set. We do have a philosophy of avoiding minuses, though — they're just a few milliseconds of extra cognitive processing, and I think it's just plain more fun to add numbers to things. So we've tried to avoid minuses as much as possible, outside of the dice themselves.
Now that said if you're really into doing combinations of two things (Solo+Forceful, whatever), I'd probably rate each of the two populations on a +0 to +2 scale, so whenever you build a combo you'd get a range of +0 to +4.
If you're doing THAT, your +0 to +2 is a lot like Atomic Robo's specific-skill specializations within its modes. +0 is default, +1 is trained, +2 is expert, there is no +3.Oct 29, 2013
- I will admit this was born out of an idea of "Wait, aren't Atomic Robo's modes actually Approaches?"Oct 29, 2013
- Not entirely, but Modes do suggest an interesting way of bridging the gap between Approaches and Skills. :)Oct 29, 2013
- That apex setup is very similar to Leverage RPG setup. No surprises of course. And I would definitely make Affiliations +2/+1/+0 since in Marvel Heroic, d6 is the default die.Oct 30, 2013
Add a comment...