Red Book it?
1) To be a troll, this would have to be a lawyer, a legal firm, or a spec firm that purchased the patent with the sole intent of strongarming people into deals.
This is NOT the case here... the patent holder is the guy who filed for it. He is not a Troll, he is the originator.
Now you are welcome to argue prior art, but that should have been brought up as he went through the process. We can argue that he should not have been granted it, AND I AGREE WITH YOU. But that does not make him a Troll. He is the guy who did it. Period.
2) Many other companies, including Apple, have gone ahead and struck deals with this guy. Reasonable deals under the circumstances.
3) In no way does the patent in question infringe upon podcasting. It has nothing to do with distribution of files or codecs, nor RSS feeds. Podcasting is not in danger, period.
For Adam Carolla to lie to people, and make them believe that all podcasts are at stake -- THAT is sleazy as hell. He is throwing around bombastic language, trying to get people like YOU to pony up $5 or $25 to support his legal defense. And any money that you are contributing to it to Save The Podcast is wasted, because PODCASTS ARE NOT IN JEOPARDY.
-- Should this guy have a patent on the idea of "allowing the playback of episodic content through a list of past episodes on a website" in the first place? NO.
-- Was there prior art? Maybe -- but no one made the case, and he was awarded the patent anyway.
-- Is he a Patent Troll? NO. He is the original petitioner, who actually works in the field of technology related to the patent. He does not make a living looking up opportunities to sue - he does not collect patents with the idea of enforcing them - he does not buy or sell patents based on speculative value. He was awarded a patent, and he has the right to defend it.
-- Is Adam Carolla a Douchebag? Generally, no... and usually only to people who are deserving. But in this case, he is exercising the High Wizardry Arts of Douchebaggery. He is using inflammatory language, calling someone a Patent Troll who clearly is not a Troll. He is claiming that Podcasting is at stake, when it clearly is not. And he is shaking down his listeners (and encouraging other hosts to shake down THEIR listeners) to pay his legal costs.
Maybe or can correct me on any of the above. But I don't think I have any of this wrong.
Oh, and like the Egyptians, we worship cats. Because, photos.
- Alabama PowerSpokesman, 2008 - presentSpokesman, Strategist and Social Media Wrangler
- Positive Position Media ConsultingOwner, 2001 - presentMedia trainer and Crisis coach
- American Red CrossCommunications Director, 2006 - 2008
- American Red CrossPublic Affairs, 2004 - 2006
- ABC 33/40Senior Reporter, 1996 - 2004
- University of AlabamaBroadcast Journalism, 1986 - 1991
Want Better SEO: Optimize the Images on Your WordPress Site
Kansas City Social Media Marketing Agency
Copywrite, Ink.: Rethinking Print: And How To Leap Beyond It
Observations on communication, marketing, public relations, and social media from Richard Becker, president of Copywrite, Ink.
Why Google built the pricey, powerful Chromebook Pixel
With Chrome OS foundering, the company needed to take a bold step to kick-start its cloud vision. Read this article by Casey Newton on CNET
Mark Emmert has done terrible job as president of NCAA - Paul Finebaum ...
Mark Emmert has not even reached his first anniversary in his job as president of the NCAA, but his tenure already resembles the voyage of t
Bernstein Crisis Management Blog: Social Media Crises on the Rise
Proof that you need to be prepared. Social media crises are on the rise, but 76% of those that occurred since 2001 could have been diminishe
These CAPTCHAs are all Greek to me - Ike's Online Scraptacular
Posterous. Ike's Online Scraptacular. Edit; Delete; Tags; Autopost. Jun 28 / 3:17pm. These CAPTCHAs are all Greek to me. Well, this one
Trent Richardson victim of hit-and-run - CBSSports.com
Eye On College Football - Trent Richardson victim of hit-and-run.