This afternoon I tried riding a Hubway bike home from the office, partly for fun, partly as practice for potential daycare pickup situations.
- The Hubway checkout was pretty straightforward... except for the part where they put up their legal agreement on the tiny little five-line screen and the page indicator read "1/130". I hope it remembers my credit card number or something and doesn't do that again.
- It's been a long, long time since I rode a bike, but you know what they say about never forgetting. I am now moderately sore after a measly 3 mile/25 minute ride (Yesterday was the cardio kickboxing workout I do, but if that was going to make me sore, I think it would have started before 7pm)
- It's been even longer since I rode with any amount of traffic around (and did I ever ride on Mass Ave before? Possibly not). That said, I think I was more bothered by all of the other bikes passing me. I vaguely wonder how much scorn was being aimed in the direction of someone who takes a Hubway bike relatively slowly down a major bike-commuting corridor at rush hour.
- The bike felt... heavy and stiff. I don't know how much of that is me being out of practice, and how much is the bike being heavy and stiff.
- Going past a bike accident on Beacon St. (with EMS on scene and looking like the cyclist was about to be loaded onto a back board) was not an auspicious start.