Profile cover photo
Profile photo
tom Miller
363 followers
363 followers
About
Posts

Post has attachment
The 1894 Lincoln McCormack House - 311 West 74th Street
The New York Orphan Asylum, erected in 1840, engulfed the entire block between 73rd and 74th Streets from Riverside Drive to West End Avenue.  As rapid development engulfed the site, the Orphan Asylum Society offered the valuable property for sale in 1893. ...
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
The Lost John D. Wendel Mansion - 442-444 Fifth Avenue
To the rear the Wendel carriage house can be seen.  The ample side yard is to the right.  from the collection of the CUNY Graduate Center Collection, Murray Hill Johann Gottlieb Wendel began his career as a fur merchant with partner John Jacob
Astor.  The c...
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
The Evert A. Duyckninck House -- No. 56 Bleecker Street
The block of Bleecker Street between Broadway and Lafayette Street
was on the border of one of Manhattan’s most exclusive neighborhoods in the
1830s—the Bond Street district.   Holding
its own with the mansions one block away was No. 64 Bleecker Street.   C...
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
The 1911 "7th Avenue and 24th Street Building" - 245-251 Seventh Avenue
photo by Beyond My Ken In 1910 the rather oddly-named The Second Manhattan Office Building Company headed by George C. Beach commissioned the architectural firm of Squires & Wynkoop to design a modern loft building at the northeast corner of Seventh Avenue ...
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
The 1866 No. 97 Franklin Street
Gardner A. Colby established the drygoods firm of Gardner Colby & Company in Boston in the 1850's.  When his son, Gardner Robert Colby, came of age, he joined the firm as a partner.  The senior Colby was also a major stock holder,  along with Charles L. Har...
The 1866 No. 97 Franklin Street
The 1866 No. 97 Franklin Street
daytoninmanhattan.blogspot.com
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
The Half-Hidden 1844 No. 46 Commerce Street
photo via streeteasy.com Alexander Turney Stewart opened his first dry goods store in 1823, selling Irish lace and linens.  His success would skyrocket and by 1848 he was known as the "Merchant Prince of America" and ran the largest emporium in the world, w...
The Half-Hidden 1844 No. 46 Commerce Street
The Half-Hidden 1844 No. 46 Commerce Street
daytoninmanhattan.blogspot.com
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
The 1897 West Side Republican Club -- No. 2307 Broadway
On May 1, 1897 the Real Estate Record & Guide made a mistake.  It announced that a 32-foot wide "club building" was being planned for the Boulevard, between 83rd and 84th Streets.  It listed the owner as the newly-formed West Side Republican Club, the archi...
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
The Edward S. Harkness Mansion - 1 East 75th Street
photograph by the author On June 1, 1906 Edward Stephen Harkness purchased the 35 by 115 foot vacant lot at the northwest corner of Fifth Avenue and 75th Street from John R. Ford.   Lavish mansions had been filling the immediate neighborhood throughout past...
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
A Mutilated Marvel - The Jones Speedometer Bldg 2160 Broadway
Nearly nothing is left to remind us of Oscar Lowinson's Art Nouveau design. Joseph W. Jones took a summer job in the 1890's with a phonograph inventor, Emile Berliner.  Quick to learn, he developed his own ideas for improving the device.  He received a pate...
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
A Lost Relic - 47 Prince St
Despite advertisements slathered across its face, the building's former refinement was still evident in the 1920's.  Note the tenant in in the second floor window chatting with a woman on the street.  from the collection of the New-York Historical Society B...
A Lost Relic - 47 Prince St
A Lost Relic - 47 Prince St
daytoninmanhattan.blogspot.com
Add a comment...
Wait while more posts are being loaded