Profile

Cover photo
tim tolok
Works at Tim Tolok photography
287,026 views
AboutPostsPhotos

Stream

tim tolok

Shared publicly  - 
 
Evenings at Tahoe...
19
Denis Tolok's profile photo
 
Those evenings won`t be the same without you.  :'(
Add a comment...

tim tolok

Shared publicly  - 
16
Mike Smirnov's profile photoVladislav O. Chuvilin's profile photo
2 comments
 
Elegant!!!
Add a comment...

tim tolok

Shared publicly  - 
18
Anton Tolok's profile photoDenis Tolok's profile photo
3 comments
 
(:
Add a comment...

tim tolok

Shared publicly  - 
11
Add a comment...

tim tolok

Shared publicly  - 
13
Vladislav O. Chuvilin's profile photo
 
very pretty
Add a comment...

tim tolok

Shared publicly  - 
 
Ok, so I've had a few people ask me about my technique for shooting nature, particularly photos involving water. 

In this example I was shooting a creek with slightly overcast sky conditions at about 5pm. So the light illuminating the creek and the forest was more or less almost directly overhead, which is not that great as it flattens out the image and creates unflattering shadows everywhere. 

1. I always, ALWAYS use a circular polarizer filter for any shots involving water. As you can see the image on top (no CPL) has way less distracting reflections in the water. There is also a slight increase in contrast and a lot more detail revealed in the creek. 
There might be the 1% chance that I find that using a CPL does not really work with a particular setting, but 99% it will always work for me.

2. My personal preference when photographing water is the silky smooth/ foggy effect. To achieve this look the camera shutter speed has to be set at 2 seconds or longer and obviously be rock solid on a tripod. In some cases if its sunny a neutral density filter will be needed to act like sunglasses and let in less light so the shutter speed can be brought down.

3. So what kind of filters I use? First of, the 20$ "filters" on eBay are complete garbage and should not even be considered. Seriously, they are a joke. Lets say I have a camera that is worth 2,000$ and in front of my 2,000$ camera is a 1,000$ lens. So does it make any sense at all to go and buy a low quality, cheap Chinese 20$ filter and stick it right in front of my camera and lens? No way, I don't think so. I personally use the German made B+W CPL and B+W ND filters, which are great! http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/10889-REG/B_W_66_045620_77mm_Kaeseman_Circular_Polarizing.html

The example image is straight out of camera, no editing. 

#photoshop   #lightroom   #photography   #tutorial   #nature   #canon   #CPL  
14
Alex Smirnov's profile photoOlga Loyko's profile photoElijah Lisyany's profile phototim tolok's profile photo
10 comments
 
+Elijah Lisyany I never said "edit a complete set of images". I have Viveza and understand what its designed for. There is nothing in Viveza that I cant do in CS6. 
Its perfect for people who aren't proficient enough in PS. Photoshop is a continuing learning process, while with Viveza you can just watch a tutorial on Youtube. There is nothing wrong with it, just not the way I prefer to work. Like is said before, there is simply no substitute for Photoshop. 
Add a comment...
In his circles
84 people

tim tolok

Shared publicly  - 
 
ATH-M50x Headphones + Yamaha Motif XF8 = absolutely love this setup!
A quick shot to test out some new flash triggers. 
16
Elijah Lisyany's profile phototim tolok's profile photo
2 comments
 
+Elijah Lisyany Yeah, the Rapid Box Octa is amazing!
Add a comment...

tim tolok

Shared publicly  - 
16
Add a comment...

tim tolok

Shared publicly  - 
 
#1 rule in life
11
Add a comment...

tim tolok

Shared publicly  - 
 
Golden hour on California's highest bridge at 730ft. Foresthill Bridge. 
13
Add a comment...

tim tolok

Shared publicly  - 
 
Eldorado Creek, CA. #nature   #photography   #canon   #lightroom  
11
Add a comment...
People
In his circles
84 people
Education
  • Photography, present
Links
Other profiles
Contributor to
Work
Employment
  • Tim Tolok photography
    Photographer, present
  • San Juan Unified School District
    Special Education, present
Basic Information
Gender
Male