The Transition Living Real Estate Team™ shares ideas in Episode #2 on how to make a cross country move easy!
The move to a new location, after years of living in one part of the country, can be overwhelming with what to keep, what to sell, how the closing works connecting with the new location and how the physical move will take place.Our Guest, Nancy Harrison CS, from Signal Mountain, Tennessee will explain some of the issues her family was having with making a major move from Alaska to Tennessee for her parents.
We will start with a simple outline of all the parts of the transaction that need to connect and work though them one at a time with different options.
1. The decision to move and where
2. Purchasing the replacement location & Pre-qualifying
3. Who is available to help with the move
4. Organizing the move... Remember you only need 1 of everything in your kitchen.
5. Deciding what to keep and move.. If you don't LOVE it.. don't keep it! Organize all the "MOVE" items in one area of the home.
6. Everything you don't LOVE have in a separate area for an estate sale company to come and look at. Remember the work it will take to sell used items one at a time. Garage sale prices do not add up quickly. If listing the home have a list with everything you are going to sell with space for phone number of lookers so even if they don't buy the house they can buy some of your treasures.
7. Timing for the movers... if you can stay in your existing home till the movers show up just get into "camping mode" Once they have picked up your belongings you can get on the plane or in the car and meet them at the new address.
8. Closing via mail or simultaneous closing. If you are not in a position to purchase a replacement home prior to selling your home the closing must be coordinated and a 3-5 day rent back might be needed depending on the access to the new home. Pre-planning is very important with the real estate agents working together to connect all the dots with the least amount of inconvenience for both the buyer and seller.
9. Have the Estate sale after you have vacated the home and hire someone to final clean the home. OR have the estate/garage sale with the things you are shipping in the garage or locked rooms before you vacate. Hire a company that will remove everything that did not sell.
10. Having a family member helping you on the plane will take off a lot of the moving pressure. If they come in early they can help with the packing and sorting.
11. Camping in the replacement home. If your belongings will take time in arriving you can camp with family, in a motel or in the new house. If family is close they may have an extra bed you can use till your things arrive or you can buy a bed and have delivered after testing the new bed you want with a National company and have the local company deliver to your new home. You might want to buy all new furniture... make it fun.. make it fit exactly like you want it.
12. Make a list of staples you need at the grocery store and have a family member get the for you or a concierge service deliver them. You can always go to the store the next day
13. Enjoy the journey.. it is the beginning of a "New Purpose" and "New Memories".....you have a choice to make it fun and exciting! As the transition takes place "lean" is the state of mind you need to be in.
Select what you want to keep and move. Your house will be a mess but just take one room at a time.. purging and keeping ONLY WHAT YOU LOVE. Then have family and friends come and take what they want before you start selling.
Don't feel bad about asking the person that gave you something special if
they would like it back. You can't move everything, so let them know how much you enjoyed it but want them to have it back if they would like to enjoy it as you move on.
Take digital photos of anything you might miss and make a printed book of your treasures you can look at anytime you feel blue about missing them.Once you have worked though the "separation anxiety" of purging your STUFF you will feel light and free to enjoy the new life you have ahead.
For more Transition Living Real Estate Team™ ideas on making any transition, subscribe to the Real Estate youtube channelhttps://goo.gl/0NP2b6
Great tips and tricks to have fun while changing locations in life!