Summary of Experience
In his turnaround practitioner career he served as both senior accountable executive and in advisory positions in numerous turnaround situations in a variety of industries ranging from the public sector, to private sector clients as large as R5bn turnover.
He has wide experience in devising and implementing leadership, strategic, financial, organisational and operational solutions in turnaround projects.
Jan regularly publishes, lectures and presents talks and papers on turnaround and Chapter 6 business rescue, as well as webmastering websites, blogs and internet discussion groups. He has appeared on television and in the press locally and in neighbouring countries.
For instance, he contributed four chapters to Professor Neil Harvey’s book “Turnaround & Corporate Renewal”, which was published in May 2011, including a chapter titled “"A Turnaround Practitioner's View on New Business Rescue Legislation".
Jan founded the Turnaround Management Association - Southern Africa (TMA-SA) in 2005. Having served as CEO in the past, he is the present Certification Director. Jan is earmarked as the CEO of the Certified Turnaround Professional Governance Board of TMA-SA, Chair of its Standards Subcommittee and member of its Education Subcommittee. He is also a member of the Institute of Directors (IoD).
Jan actively practices as a Senior Business Rescue Practitioner for companies that entered Chapter 6 business rescue. He is also consulted by attorneys, banks, academics and students for advice on business rescue.
Jan has been classified as a Senior Business Rescue Practitioner by the Companies and Intellectual Property Commission (CIPC) which allows any size company entering business rescue to request CIPC to grant him an interim license to act as its business rescue practitioner.
Jan’s informal sector turnaround experience (informal creditor workout) is highly transferable to formal Chapter 6 turnaround (business rescue), especially in light of his knowledge of the new business rescue legislation.
Jan is a member of the Business Rescue Sub-Committee of the King III Commission on Governance. He edited the final draft of the Business Rescue Practice Notes.
Jan was invited to dti and the USAID Financial Sector Program workshops, made submissions, and was privately consulted by the dti and the USAID Financial Sector Program with regard to new business rescue legislation (Chapter 6 of the Companies Act No. 71 of 2008, the Companies Amendment Act No. 3 of 2011, and the Companies Regulations, 2011). He did so in his private capacity and as CEO/Director of TMA-SA.
- Business rescue in South Africa.
- Business rescue legislation.
- Business rescue regulations.
- Business rescue industry.
- Business rescue implementation and operational status in South Africa.
- Registration as a business rescue practitioner.
- In process: DBA, Gordon Institute of Business Science at the University of Pretoria, where his research interest is predicting business rescue resolution. Jan finished top of the class in the Directed Learning exams at the end of the first year.
- 1984: MBA, Stanford Business School (funded by a USA government Fulbright Scholarship) where he focused on strategy.
- 1982: Honours B.Sc. in Operations Research, University of South Africa.
- 1978: B.Sc. Engineering (Industrial) cum laude, University of Pretoria.
- Interim turnaround management.
- Turnaround project management.
- Turnaround viability assessment.
- Turnaround strategy formulation and implementation.
- Stabilisation of distressed companies through emergency and crisis management.
- Funding and financial restructuring, with strong links and credibility with the banking and venture capital industries.
- Fixing the business in strategic, organisational and operational terms.
- Phases of viability assessment, stabilisation, restructuring, revitalisation, and recovery.
- Stakeholder management, communication, and mobilising the organisation around aligned objectives.
- Gordon Institute of Business Science of the University of PretoriaDoctorate in Business Administration, 2009 - present
- Stanford Graduate School of BusinessMasters in Business Administration, 1982 - 1984
- University of South AfricaHonours. B.Sc. (Operations Research), 179 - 1982
- University of PretoriaB.Sc. (Engineering) (Industrial), 1975 - 1978
- CRS Business RescueSenior Business Rescue Practitioner, 2011 - present
- Corporate Renewal SolutionsCEO, Turnaround practitioner, 2002 - present
- Gemini ConsultingManaging Consultant, 1998 - 2002
- REGENCEO, Turnaround Practitioner, 1998 - 2002
43 Lange Avenue, Quellerina, Roodepoor
Jan van der Walt - Senior Business Rescue Practitioner || CRS Business R...
Jan van der Walt is classified as a Senior Business Rescue Practitioner by the Companies and Intellectual Property Commission (CIPC). This a
Turnaround Management & Corporate Renewal: A South African Perspecti...
The definitive turnaround and business rescue book - edited by Neil Harvey, the doyen of turnaround management in South Africa.
Business rescue in South Africa || CRS Business Rescue
Understanding business rescue in South Africa as contained in Chapter 6 of the Companies Act No. 71 of 2008, the Companies Amendment Act No.