If your impulse upon reading something newsworthy is to say, "Why isn't the media reporting this?", please go through this checklist before saying so out loud:
1. Where did you read it? If it's a link shared on Facebook, what's the original source? Is it a media outlet? If yes, stop here.
2. Check the link source more closely. How old is the information? Is it more than a few days old? If so, it's not news. Is it reported on a non-reputable outlet, like rt.com
? (I made that last one up). If so, be very, very skeptical.
3. If it's a timely piece of information, go to Google news and search for reports on that event. Are there some? Are they from reputable news outlets? If yes, stop here.
4. Ask yourself if it's national news. If so, contact the news desk of your nearest NATIONAL news outlet. If it's local or regional, do the same for the local or regional outlet nearest the event. Most are underfunded and short staffed and appreciate news tips that are actually good.
5. If they refuse and you still think it's news, by all means complain and/or share the actual news so people can become informed.