Based on preliminary ROV surveys, the team estimates that the reef has less than 1% of disease or bleaching.Now that's good news! Don't forget to check out the ROV dives yourself at: http://schmidtocean.org/story/show/4228
more of the region surrounding Scott Reef and found that there are no seamounts where the charts said they should be #ReefConnections
Schmidt Ocean Institute supports research and exploration projects that help expand the understanding of the world's oceans through technological advancements, data-rich observation and analysis, and open sharing of information.Vision
The world's oceans understood through technological advancement, intelligent sensing, and open sharing of information.Mission
We combine advanced science with state-of-the art technology on our globally capable research vessels to create a lasting legacy in ocean exploration and discovery, catalyze open sharing of information about the oceans, and foster deeper understanding of our environment.
Our mission is intentionally broad, as we approach ocean research from the engineering and operational perspectives: We aim to maintain and operate R/V Falkor as a multi-functional ocean research platform suitable for a variety of scientific projects that fit within the scope of our mission.
Our operational model is based on supporting scientific research at sea by providing the collaborating scientists with free access to our research vessel, on-board equipment, and associated technical support in exchange for a commitment to openly share the resulting scientific data.Values
The following values embody our culture and work practices:
- Proactive approach: We foster enthusiasm and the sense of purpose throughout our team and collaborators.
- Integrity: We are committed to the highest standards of conduct and hold ourselves accountable to the aspirations of our Founders.
- Sharing: We openly share our discoveries and knowledge to promote scientific progress and catalyze global social awareness.
- Open-mindedness: We keep our minds open to various perspectives, including those that are different from our own.
- Professionalism: We take disciplined and informed approach in planning our activities. We are diligent in execution and performance evaluations. We learn from both our successes and failures.
Collaboration: We recognize that our impact is multiplied by leveraging the efforts, knowledge, and resources of our collaborators.