Ryan Stearns: Healthcare Finance Executive
Ryan Stearns: Healthcare Finance Executive
Ryan Stearns, Healthcare, FInance, Executive, Revenue Cycle, Providence, HealthServicesNW, Leadership, CBO
Ryan Stearns is a dynamic, accomplished executive leader with over 19 years experience in effectively managing a broad range of complex financial responsibilities for both public and private, for profit and not-for-profit, as well as international entities in multiple industries, including Healthcare, Technology, Banking and Consulting. He is a hands-on, dedicated business partner with extensive experience in financial budgeting, strategic planning, and operational reporting. He has expertise in streamlining financial functions by establishing priorities and expectations and creating/deploying tactical initiatives.
Ryan is a polished professional with superlative communication and presentation skills; proven ability to motivate and guide cross-functional teams and develop winning relationships with strategic business partners. He is a highly accomplished corporate strategist with expertise in coupling financial expertise with solid operations acumen to deliver significant top and bottom-line growth. He is a keen analyst with demonstrated ability to accurately assess challenges and resources to provide business solution and is adept at delivering programs and initiatives that reduce costs while elevating productivity and staff performance.
CFO, Revenue Cycle
As CFO for two large regional healthcare systems, Providence Health & Services and HealthServicesNW, Ryan has the experience to lead multiple financial and operational processes; including leading and implementing the financial and operational planning process, providing strategic analysis to support organizational goals, and leading policy implementations and procedure oversight.
In his role as CFO of Revenue Cycle for Providence Health & Services he developed and oversaw a division which spans 5 states, 27 acute care hospitals, and 8 Physician Services Regions with a team of approximately 2,700 people. He led the merger of two healthcare organizations, designed and implemented a new multi-state Revenue Cycle Division which resulted in a $30M cost savings, and is a member of the Board of Directors for Providence's collection agency (Health Services Asset Management).
In addition to his Revenue Cycle CFO responsibilities, Ryan also took on the role of CFO for the Physician Services Division and completed a successful turn-around by reducing expenses by 30% while also lowering AR Days by 15. He has expertise in provider-based revenue cycle operations and industry best practices including registration, point of service collections, billing, insurance/self pay collection and follow up, bad debt and charity, payment processing, denial management, accounts receivable finance operations, health information management (HIM), patient financial services, fee schedule development and maintenance, coding, and charge capture.
Ryan has taken a lead role in multiple implementation projects; including Centricity, Meditech, and Epic, and has been a part of both 5010 and ICD-10. He has extensive experience in the development and communication of policies and procedures, leading the strategic and operational direction of the organization, and ensuring overall performance management of the Revenue Cycle Division. He has a proven ability to motivate and guide cross-functional teams, establish credibility and respect, and develop winning relationships with strategic business partners.
Ryan's background is in technology and healthcare and he has led the financial planning, forecast, and reporting for multiple organizations. He is a strategic thinker and uses his experience and insight to provide guidance and in-depth analysis for all financial and operational activities; including the development and distribution of dashboards, monthly business reviews, board of director’s presentations, KPI reporting, and operational turnaround projects. Ryan has participated on many cross-functional teams and has served as both lead and sponsor on multiple projects.
- Reduced Physician Services expenses by 30% through consolidation and alignment. (Providence)
- Redesigned the Revenue Cycle organizational structure across 5 states and reduced expenses by $30M. (Providence)
- Reduced Physician AR Days by 15 through increased denials management and follow-up. (Providence)
- Successfully managed the merger of two healthcare organizations. (Providence)
- Served on the Board of Directors and CFO for Health Services Asset Management. (Providence)
- Created baseline costing and departmental structure for newly created division across five states. (Providence)
- Created new reporting and audit tracking systems for Physician Cash Posting. (HealthServicesNW)
- Led the CBO Operations Team through the Physician Turnaround Project. (HealthServicesNW)
- Developed commission tracking system for newly created collection agency. (HealthServicesNW)
- Effectively managed $300M cost reduction through sales effectiveness and operational efficiency. (WaMu)
- Initiated Six Sigma Project which resulted in a Three year savings of $72M. (WaMu)
- Led Technology Bullet Train cost reduction team which identified $40M in IT savings. (WaMu)
- Reduced operational budget gap by $110M through expense control and headcount efficiency. (T-Mobile USA)
- Improved divisional customer satisfaction resulting in the J.D. Power and Associates™ award. (T-Mobile USA)
- Designed VACS measurement tool which led to a net cost reduction of $90 million per year. (T-Mobile USA)
- Recovered $1M in state tax credits by implementing a billing cross-reference solution. (T-Mobile USA)