(I normally do not do this to quote an entire article, but this is so powerful I wanted to make it easy for anyone interested to read in full.)
This is from https://throughthechaff.com/2016/06/10/what-the-hell-is-going-on-in-the-states/What the HELL is going on in the States?
That question is posed at least five times a day – and increasing – in Canada (the country often spoken of in the most patronizing way by American pundits). Canadians monitor their neighbours to the South closely. After all, the two countries are inextricably bound together though millions of economic and familial ties and what Americans DO affects Canadians. What Canadians have watched over the past year is a gong show. Literally. A show. Politics dished up as entertainment at it’s not-so-finest.
It’s not only that the GOP are running a fascist for President. It’s that the democratic party – supposedly the “sane” Party of the People, appears to be equally corrupt and superficial. The view from up here:
1. In many parts of the USA, only “some” people get to vote for the candidates of their respective parties. Other people, outside the holy boundary of party affiliation, are silenced.
2. Where people who have no party preference are “allowed” to vote and cast ballots based on their view of candidates and issues, voting is rigged and/or manipulated. Indeed, this appears to occur in “closed primaries” and caucuses as well. Apparently, many people in the States go to the polls only hoping their vote will count.
3. In the United States, it appears to take MONTHS to count ballots and voters have NO idea whether or not their votes will “count.” The Press, NOT doing its part, declares votes 100% counted even when there are millions outstanding. Caucuses often have multiple voting levels. The press does not bother covering these and rarely updates the delegate numbers (unless of course, drama can be manufactured as we saw with Nevada: blatant lies that thankfully were corrected in foreign press (while corrections were buried in American news media).
4. Two of the three candidates still standing (and more on this below) are under criminal investigation. The reaction of the rest of the world: Are you KIDDING me? This is allowed? And if it is: People VOTE for them?
5. Overall, the U.S. media doesn’t care that two of the candidates are under investigation. Apparently they are content with their assurances that “nothing will come of it.” Call the rest of the world crazy, but when the FBI has been investigating you for a year for example, we actually doubt that this is a “right-wing” conspiracy to smear Clinton and we would expect that U.S. journalists would investigate the charges.
The “rest” of the 1st World is more than aware that the Clinton Foundation has engaged in very doubtful (lets not hedge: criminal) practices and that while Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton furthered her own financial future by secretly carrying on her official and not so official correspondence through her PRIVATE BASEMENT SERVER. Again: how can this be seen as anything other than treasonous behavior in a country that LEADS the world in terms of its stances on war and peace? Does the USA no longer care, in any way, how they are perceived?
6. Clinton is seen as a war hawk. War hawk and criminal trumps woman. But not for many of her supporters in the States. The press (and the Clinton campaign who exploits both gender and race) are childishly focussed on “oh wow! we elected a woman” (never mind how and who). It appears that many American voters/politicians do NOT take the role of their country in terms of its relationship to the world, seriously. If the United States is the world leader, then American voters need to take that seriously when they choose their leaders. Americans no longer have any claim whatsoever to the moral high ground, they stand exposed as hypocrites. Indeed, any critique Clinton makes of Trump can be made about her. American politics is all about the “show,” not about issues. Superficial, identity based simulacra.
7. Candidate Bernie Sanders – a moderate in terms of the rest of the 1st world – is advocating for what the rest of that same (sane) world takes for granted: single payer health care, union representation, open voting, over turning Citizen’s United (again: this type of money in politics just can’t happen in rest of 1st world), paid parental leave, extended maternity leave, a reconsideration of the Palestinian question, etc. etc. Eminently sane proposals to get the country and American foreign policy on track. We’ve watched in astonishment as that same U.S. media has presented “pundit” after pundit, or featured articles, saying proposals like single payer health care just can’t be done. Interpretation made elsewhere: it can’t be done because the States won’t take on their pharmaceuticals: in other words, it is corporate interests that must be protected AGAIN.
a. Objection #2: Its too expensive. Answer: Bull_ . The money the U.S. wastes on weapons et al for “defense” (against who exactly?) pays for single payer many times over. In fact, this argument has been disproven so many times, it’s not worth reiteration.
b. Objection #3: We have the “BEST HEALTH CARE SYSTEM IN THE WORLD.” BAAHAAAHAA. I’m guessing those words are only ever uttered by those who can afford to pay the exorbitant insurance coverage (or pay cash) for that health care system.Last time I was down visiting one of my kids/grandkids families, I was at the pharmacy listening to a woman plead for her insulin only to be told that she couldn’t have any until the following month – no coverage left…. and I thought OMG. So I went over to offer to pay – she wouldn’t let me – but this should NEVER HAPPEN.
8. Canadians have access to all U.S. news channels. Consequently, the country has watched as “journalists,” many of them directly tied to the Clinton campaign, have belittled, disrespected, mocked, marginalized and deliberately misinterpreted Sanders and his voters. Paralleling 2008, the Berniebros/Obama Boys rhetoric has been used to camouflage the worst kind of simplistic identity politics based on gender and “race.” Is it now possible, that in the “greatest country on earth,” it no longer matters if you engage in criminal acts as long as you have a vagina? Can the problems of millions of American women living in poverty – of all colors – who can’t stay home at all with their babies to form a mother-child bond because they have to work for less than minimum wage in some States in the hopes that they can feed their families – can their challenges be overcome by their joy that Hillary Clinton is a woman? (sarcasm for the hard of hearing). The portrayal of Bernie Sanders as an “old white man” (as opposed to an old white woman) who is tone deaf to issues of race is laughable. Yet “pundits of color” have furthered this nightmare rhetoric, effectively consigning the communities with whom they SHOULD be aligned to more economic despair – because: WOMAN! Ex pat Democrats are shaking their head in disbelief and anger. (It is no accident that Sanders won Democrats Abroad by a large margin: the experience with other systems will do that).
But I digress. The view from up here? The United States is a mess:
In 2008, President Obama was almost a god in Canada. Yesterday he endorsed a woman under FBI investigation. What to think of him now, no matter his motives?
Elizabeth Warren, who most of us up here thought of as Bernie’s female (non-identical) twin, jumped aboard the criminal train: Warren, who was going to fix Wall Street and who maintained that she was all about the poor. (Topic for next blog).
Hillary Clinton has declared HERSELF the winner WITHOUT having the required (2383) Pledged DELEGATES NEEDED TO WIN THE DEMOCRATIC PRIMARY. She declared herself the winner while CALIFORNIA WAS STILL VOTING, (and where ballots are STILL BEING COUNTED). This fact alone boggles the imagination. Is there any other first world country where a candidate can declare themselves the winner of a political contest without meeting the requirements of a ‘win’ and before that contest is even over? Worse, one where everyone else jumps on board and says yeah – her! She won! President Obama? Waiting to hear.
It’s no wonder that Sanders voters are entirely disillusioned. They have (in addition to how they have been misrepresented) been told, in no uncertain terms, that they do NOT matter. They have been told their issues are negligible or they can’t be done. They have been told that everyone knows they will get on board the Clinton train; after all their only alternative is Trump. Message to Hillary Democrats: you couldn’t have pushed Sanders voters any harder towards the Green party, writing in Bernie or to Trump. It is, sadly, the country that will pay for what you have done.
The night before the California primary the AP declared (in collusion with Clinton campaign) Hillary Clinton the winner on the basis of a “survey of superdelegates” who actually have no say until July. Everyone watching knew that was cooked and that the intent was to suppress the vote the next day in all States voting, (but especially in CA), but the AP appears unconcerned about its reputation world-wide. Is there any ethics left in American politics? Any sense of morality?
With all due respect to @johnoliver, it is truly funny what constitutes a political scandal in Canada. What is not funny is that NOTHING in American politics is scandalous any longer. Oh, pundits may gasp at Trump’s latest “gaffe” (it isn’t even called what is it anymore – straight fascist rhetoric) but they give him limitless airtime. And Clinton’s server? The Clinton Foundation? The intimate collusion by the political elite and press? Fixed elections? Voter fraud? Nothing to see here folks. Just go with the WOMAN.