· Between the iconic tourist landmark, Table Mountain and Table Bay, the most southern port on the African continent, the City of Cape Town boasts a cosmopolitan mix of historic and modern landmarks. One of these is the Artscape Theatre Centre on the Foreshore, home to the Artscape and one of South Africa’s most productive theatre centres.
· Originally established some 42 years ago as the official performing arts council for the Western Cape, Artscape has today developed into a vibrant, multi-functional creative arts centre, offering exceptional venue facilities and specialist theatrical services.
· With its close proximity to Cape Town's central business district, the new MyCiTi bus service main station, the International Convention Centre and the tourist hotspot, the V & A Waterfront, Artscape is ideally situated to serve the Cape's performing arts, film, tourism, entertainment, conference and exhibition industries.
· Covering an area of some 14 000 square meters, the Artscape complex consists of a state-of-the-art Opera House seating 1 500, a smaller theatre seating 520 and a much smaller arena type theatre seating between 100 and 120 people, an impressive piazza, the Founder’s Garden, rehearsal rooms and ample parking – all of which can easily be configured to suit any client’s needs.
· The Founder’s Garden currently hosts the impressive wind resistant dome that houses the internationally acclaimed Zip Zap circus School.
· Every nook and cranny in the complex can be used for a diverse range of events.
· In addition to the three theatres, the complex has a funky restaurant offering healthy and affordable light meals. The voluminous marble foyer is home for the Fine Music Radio studios and the Artscape Box Office. Flowing from the foyer the smaller extension area offers an ideal exhibition area where local artists can display their works.
· The Isibaya room offers a refuge for visiting dignitaries, but doubles up as a function, training and meeting venue.
· From the lush Chandelier Foyer with its imported Italian chandeliers is the Opera Bar which can be isolated for smaller functions. The Chandelier Foyer is large enough to host formal banquets and even more informal dinner dances.
· Located between the Opera House and the Theatre, Artscape recently developed multifunctional meeting rooms to enhance the centre’s conferencing facilities.
· The centre offers a full range of technical services, including a vast array of lighting and sound equipment and operators, stage and production managers to ensure a seamless support service to users of the venues.
· Over the past few years Artscape has systematically upgraded its facilities. The overall optimisation programme will eventually connect the complex with the multi-billion Foreshore development that will augment the capacity of the Cape Town International Convention Centre and link the two complexes.
· The Artscape Theatre Centre is home to community theatre projects, Cape Town Opera, Cape Town City Ballet, Cape Philharmonic Orchestra, Jazzart Dance Theatre, the Siyasanga Cape Town Theatre Company, the Artscape Resource Centre and Fine Music Radio.
· Some 100 000 patrons annually attended over 600 different productions in the Artscape Theatre Centre’s three theatres. Thousands more visit the complex to view arts exhibitions, participate in a variety of festivals or attend conferences and product launches.
· The conference and exhibition industry, raves and the film and photographic industry, as well as the corporate and public sector are utilising the vast range of venues and services on offer at Artscape.
021 410 9800, 021 410 9812