New MS in Data Science at Columbia!http://idse.columbia.edu/masters
Masters in Data Science
The proposed Masters in Data Sciences program has been approved by Columbia University and is anticipated to launch in the fall of 2014. The application has been posted and the deadline to apply is February 15th. The program is still pending New York State approval, however, we have been granted permission to launch the application for the program. Applications are being accepted, however the admissions decision timeline will be contingent upon when the program receives approval from the State of New York.
This program will offer students an in depth education experience to focus on data science as it pertains to their unique interests. The foundation of this program has been built from the 4-course Certification of Professional Achievement in Data Sciences program. Students will be interacting with diverse faculty members and students, given the opportunity to conduct research opportunities, included in a capstone project course, and available for industry interaction.
The M.S. students will be given the opportunity to select an elective track which incorporates the six centers within the Institute as well as an Entrepreneurship track. This allows students to hone in on their particular interests and skill sets.
Our proposed curriculum will likely be as follows:
· Algorithms for Data Science (CS/OR), 3 credits
· Machine Learning for Data Science (CS), 3 credits
· Exploratory Data Analysis for Data Science (STATS), 3 credits
· Computer Systems for Data Science (CS), 3 credits
· Probability (STATS), 3 credits
· Statistical Inference & Modeling (STATS), 3 credits
· Data Science Capstone & Ethics (ENG), 3 credits
· Electives (9 credits) – for a total of 30 credits
The program may be completed in two semesters of full-time intensive study.
Questions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.