Can someone get me the radius of this planet? I would like to calculate the actual gravity on the surface. Because I plan on visiting there.
no plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 7 previous comments
- Shouldn't you be able to calculate he gravity on the planet from the mass? They found the planet, and it's mass, in the first place by measuring the "wobble" of the sun caused by the planets gravity? I'm not the engineer here so I don't know. I only have to deal with earth gravity. Hehehe.Feb 3, 2012
- According to Newton, gravity is a function of mass over distance, where distance is squared. Thus being a little farther away from the center of gravity, such as being on the surface of a larger, less dense planet, provides significantly less gravitational force.Feb 4, 2012
- , it's a great surprise to be talking to someone so dedicated to space elevators. Did your company have a booth at the RoboGames in California around 2006? I may have talked to you or a company like you while we were competing.Feb 4, 2012
- even if you weighed a little more, excellent excuse for exoskeleton suits! Though it would still be quite a strain on your inner body workings.
And in the reading I've done, I'm not quite sure if they did mean Mass or not. I need to find some of the actual reports; the media tends to miss-use terms.Feb 5, 2012
- Hi- Yes, I went to the RoboGames, in San Francisco. I think it was earlier, though, perhaps in 2004 or 2005. If it wasn't me, that you spoke with, I'd guess it was Ben Shelef of the Spaceward Foundation. I used to be on the Board of Directors, and helped get NASA to fund that prize money for the elevator competitions.
We went into hibernation when the economy collapsed in 2007. But recently re-started - and this time, with a plan for the Moon. Our design uses current Commercial Off The Shelft (COTS) technology (rockets, ribbons, communications, etc) that can have an Elevator on the Moon "...before this decade is out." We'd love to have your help and support!Feb 5, 2012
- , very true! Yet at around four gravities and above you would have to worry about unconditioned people passing out, regardless of outside assistance. And , I would certainly not mind being involved. Looking at your website, I could do so by contributing to your blog?Feb 5, 2012