Hey all, (new SW GM and really enjoying it),
I posted a question in the regular G+ Savage Worlds community, but realized I meant to add it here. I'd love to read some experienced SW GM discussion around Mind Control, Mind Reading and Telepathy. The rules as is are rather - well both vague and particular in the restrictions.
So I will show what I posted below, but any and all insights and comments about those powersets (and keeping them balanced but fun and comic-worthy; it's hard to see Marvel Girl or Prof X working with the rules as presented, for instance). (and hopefully I haven't tl;dr'd myself here)
So from the other page I posted:
"Questions about Mind Reading and Mind Control...How do you guys handle stuff like the following? (and are there official rulings about it)?
1) Is mind control just a puppet thing? Or could the super make someone answer their questions (which in a way makes it stronger than telepathy). Ie. saying to the mind controlled person, "tell me the combination to the safe?", etc.
2) For mind reading, what about the power to dive deep into a person's past memories (as in millions of comics). It seems like that isn't an option in SW. It reads like just the last 5 minutes of thoughts...
3) How about emotions and sensations? I.e. can mind control be used for emotions (anger, happiness, sadness, etc) or physical sensations (pain, pleasure - generalized or localized to specific body parts)
4) could mind control be used for things like, suggestion or command spells in other rpgs? like .. "go to sleep", etc?
5) Could mind reading be used to eavesdrop on a conversation from a distance (either just the one side or both sides via the target's hearing) ."
Thanks in advance!!! And sorry for the wall of text.. looking forward to seeing what you have to say...