*CodeChix is a fiscally-sponsored non-profit dedicated to the Education, Promotion and Mentorship of women engineers and students. It is run by local women developers for local women developers.
Events include Technical Talks and Hands-on Workshops that are open to the public as well as restricted events tailored for CodeChix members to improve their skills and learn new skills. We started as a grassroots group in 2009 in San Jose, CA.
(*CodeChix Education Fund is a fiscally-sponsored project of Community Initiatives).
We are a local, group for women meeting face-to-face and gadget-to-gadget in a non-alpha, language/os agnostic, supportive environment and creating great things. Our events are either open to all or women-only (see details for each meeting).
This Google+ Page is dedicated to CodeChix in the SF Bay Area. We also have a Seatle/Redmond chapter which can be found below: https://plus.google.com/u/0/117533142807337861126/posts
Whether you’ve been working with tech for several years, or have never written a single line of code, we welcome you! Our members are at all skill levels.
We are about education through real-life lessons and experiences, mentoring/sponsoring of technical/geeky women, networking and building lasting connections, friendships and alliances with other techy women living in the Bay Area and other geographical areas with CodeChix chapters.
How do we define “women”?
To CodeChix, a “woman” is anyone that identifies as a woman – queer, trans etc. Henceforth, we use the term “women”.
Our Main Goals
- Monthly hacking sessions/informal session – face-to-face and mentoring with experienced techies
- Programming/problem solving in a non-alpha, supportive environment
- Education through workshops, seminars, talks/lectures from industry as well as academia
- Speaker series with prominent proponents of code and all things code-related
- Networking, networking, networking
- Working side-by-side on projects with other women and building great relationships on a personal level
We have various events throughout the year. Here are the basic types:
- Hacking Sessions: Usually held at coffee shops, we get together for a couple of hours to code. You’re welcome to bring your own project, help out someone else, or just relax.
- Workshops/Tech-Talks: Some of our members graciously share their knowledge and volunteer their time to teach us something new, or showcase their latest project. We promote a safe environment, so if you’ve been wanting to host one, please send an email to organizers at codechix dot org.
- Our ticketed events (usually open to everyone) are listed at open events on EventBrite.