Profile cover photo
Profile photo
John Bump
5,715 followers -
Mad scientist
Mad scientist

5,715 followers
About
Communities and Collections
View all
Posts

Post has attachment
I appear to have solved the adhesion problem I was having with wax filament. One layer of 3M tape, one heavy layer of 3M Super 77 spray adhesive, wiped right after spraying. I tried this first with the bed as hot as it could go, and the print edge lifted, but the spray adhesive gets soft at high temp. So this print was with the bed at 40C for the first layer, and unheated for the rest of the print, with the nozzle at 170C. It stuck ferociously to the spray adhesive, so much so that the print distorted significantly in prying it loose. 3 layer 5mm raft.
Photo
Photo
12/9/17
2 Photos - View album

Post has attachment
Still figuring this out: wax filament printed on 3m tape with the bed cranked up as hot as it can go. I'll try glue stick next, and then I'm thinking about disconnecting the bed heater entirely, setting all my builds for 0 bed heat, and instead sticking a 110v silicone pad under the bed with an external PID controller. (I could in theory run it up hot enough to melt the bottom layer of wax, at which point it should adhere to anything.)
Photo

I got one halfway decent print with the wax filament by printing a big raft and then as soon as it finished that and started printing the main body of the print, taping the raft down with some pretty tough tape, just overlapping the edges of the raft. That still didn't get me a complete print, though, because either the wax froze in the nozzle or it just slipped a little bit at the pinch rollers, and stopped extruding. I'm running it at 185C at the nozzle, a full 40C higher than recommended, and it seems to be working okay. With that said, I'm dubious about being able to print on a regular repeatable basis with this stuff, so far.

I have a V1 running V24.42 (as I recall) and am having troubles printing wax filament. I printed a shim for the top of the bowden extruder, so the filament is driving properly, but it's not adhering to the bed. More specifically, it's lifting up at the edges and I lose the print about 12 layers in. I'm using blue painter's tape, to which PLA sticks ferociously well, have not yet tried glue or stuff. However, I suspect the issue may be firmware limits: the filament manufacturer says nozzle temp 145, bed temp 90. Mine can only drop the nozzle temp to 160 and the bed temp up to 70. Do other firmwares increase those numbers? (Does a bed temp of 90 exceed the printer's power supply?)

Post has shared content
You might recall the #birdtracheaswhat. Well it's not just tracheas. The tongues are absurd too. A retracted woodpecker tongue exits through the bottom of its mouth, runs all the way around the back of the skull, and comes over the top again. Some hummingbirds wrap it around their eye sockets.
https://www.birdwatchingdaily.com/blog/2013/12/10/woodpeckers-hammer-without-headaches/
https://goldengateaudubon.org/wp-content/uploads/Tongues_hummer.jpg

The woodpecker shows a tongue apparently forked at the base, splitting as it retracts, and the hummingbird seems to be two pieces all the way along.

How does the musculature work? Our tongues protrude by prolating their volume, but these long tongues, sliding 10 cm, does that imply a 10 cm muscle running from the proximal end of the tongue to an attachment on the beak?

Post has shared content
Want to make your voice heard with your elected officials? Here's an easy way to do it.

Just text "resist" to 50409 and follow the prompts.

Participatory Democracy only works if you participate.

#RESIST #participatorydemocracy #TheResistance
Photo

I just created a mechanical drawing for a circuit board I sell, using LibreCAD because it's free and works on linux. It's also very frustrating to use because it's quirky: it looks like an autocad clone but doesn't actually act like one. Anyone have any suggestions for linux cad, preferably that is command-line-centric?

Post has attachment
Inkscape's autotracer is awesome. The brown gasket is the thermostat housing for the Datsun engine in the Spitfire. The black outline is the autotracer's idea of the gasket's outline, which I can then use to mill a plate out of aluminum for making a new thermostat housing that A: points the right (opposite) direction, allowing it to work correctly with the Spitfire's radiator without having a right-angle bend in the tube, and B: has a nice milled recess for the heat sensor driving the fancy proportional response dual fan setup on the radiator. The autotraced outline needs a bit of cleanup, but it even picks up that the gasket isn't quite flat. (Picture taken on graph paper is because I can make absolutely sure it's correctly scaled.)
Photo

Post has attachment
Action shot.
Wait while more posts are being loaded