"And sometimes things that seem like conspiracy theories turn out to be true. (Hello, NSA.) As William S. Burroughs once said: “Sometimes paranoia’s just having all the facts.”
With the prize money, Prakash and Korir hope to continue working toward a product that other groups, including researchers and citizen scientists, can then modify and program for a wide range of uses, both educational and scientific.
These glass panels have been tested by civil engineering labs for traction, durability and strength, and the data indicates they’re suitable as a safe walking or driving surface, Scott Brusaw said.
“All of the results were outstanding,” he added in an email. “That was a huge hurdle for us on this round of funding from the Federal Highway Administration.”
As for Solar Roadways, the next step is to start running their new parking lot through the wringer. The prototype is fully equipped with the solar cells, heat element LEDs and super-strong glass panels. Eventually, it will be time to ramp up production by hiring a team to streamline production and move into manufacturing.
After so many years of waiting, here comes their first solar parking lot ! Congrats and Julie Brusaw !
Hope this is only the very beginning of a giant and brilliant idea.
#photovoltaics #pv #solar #solarpower #solarroadways #roads
#energy #re #renewables #renewableenergy
- Unemployed, presentToo Afraid of Purposelessness and People
(*cough cough* Global Financial Crises)
Join the billions.
- Problem Solving
I want to make the world more awesome for everyone!
- TED Conferences OnlineSnippets of Many Disciplines, 2011 - presentOver 200 talks
- MOOCsMany Disciplines, 2012 - presentMarch 2013: Global Sustainable Energy: Past, Present and Future, University of Florida • A Beginner's Guide to Irrational Behavior, Duke University (Psychology+Economics) • Leading Strategic Innovation in Organizations, Vanderbilt University • May 2013: Introduction to Psychology, University of Toronto (Also: Yale University, 2008 version) • August 2013: Social Psychology, Wesleyan University • Gamification, University of Pennsylvania (A new field of study. A kind of hybrid between positive psychology & game mechanics for organizational goal achievement) • January 2014: Moralities of Everyday Life, Yale University
- PBSOverviews of Many Disciplines, presentDozens of NOVA & Nature programs.
- Online WritersInterdisciplinary, 2012 - presentMIT Technology Review, Scientific American, Smithsonian, Phys.org, inhabitant, CleanTechnica, Next Big Future, Fast Company, GOOD, Mashable, xkcd
- BooksDifferent Disciplines, 2012 - presentThe Infinite Resource by Ramez Naam (Economics + Sustainability), A Mind of Its Own by Cordelia Fine (Psychology), Don't Be Such a Scientist by Randy Olson (Science Public Relations)
- YouTubeSnippets of Many Disciplines, 2012 - presentASAP Science, Vsauce
- No Formal Education?Well.., presentToo afraid of a lack of purpose and sense of direction.
- Central Technology CenterPre-Engineering, 2012 - 2012
- Central Technology Center/LabSim TestOutInformation Technology, 2011 - 2012CompTia A+ and Network+ training (but did not take certification exams)
- (Under Development) (current)
It’s Time to Take Mesh Networks Seriously (And Not Just for the Reasons ...
The internet is weak, yet we keep ignoring that fact. Which is why I believe it’s time to reconsider the potential of mesh networking, and m
When the internet dies, meet the meshnet that survives - 19 April 2014 -...
If a crisis throws everyone offline, getting reconnected can be tougher than it looks, finds Hal Hodson
Researchers open path to finding rare, polarized metals
Drexel University researchers are turning some of the basic tenets of chemistry and physics upside down to cut a trail toward the discovery
Novel study uncovers the way coughs and sneezes stay airborne for long d...
The next time you feel a sneeze coming on, raise your elbow to cover up that multiphase turbulent buoyant cloud you're about to expel.
Inspired by a music box, Stanford bioengineer creates $5 chemistry set (...
(Phys.org) —Manu Prakash won a contest to develop the 21st-century chemistry set. His version, based on a toy music box, is small, robust, p
Hybrid nanotube-graphene material promises to simplify manufacturing
(Phys.org) —Carbon nanotubes are reinforcing bars that make two-dimensional graphene much easier to handle in a new hybrid material grown by
Casual marijuana use linked to brain abnormalities in students
Young adults who used marijuana only recreationally showed significant abnormalities in two key brain regions that are important in emotion
Container rethink: Ooho team cooks up water holder
(Phys.org) —Think about it. A Sunday in the park. Trashbins overflow with plastic water bottles cast off by joggers, power walkers and their
US to tackle methane in climate change push (Update)
The White House pledged Friday to clamp down on US emissions of methane, a greenhouse gas produced by cattle and natural gas production that
Get Creative And Make Your Own Maps With Custom Layers On The New Google...
With Google unveiling a completely revamped Maps, now available to all, creating your own maps has become easier than ever. You can create p