Profile cover photo
Profile photo
Social Security Answers
Social Security Answers is here to help. Ask your question. Someone has the answer.
Social Security Answers is here to help. Ask your question. Someone has the answer.


Post has attachment
Q) Both of my parents died in 2018 and the address known for them to SSA is no longer valid. How do I get copies of their final SSA-1099s next January?

A) Recommend that you visit your local Social Security office and bring with you proof of death and make your request to change the mailing address of their final SSA-1099s
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
Q) What paperwork do I need to send to the Social Security office with my W-4V form?

A) According to the IRS: you may use the W-4V form to ask the payer to withhold federal income tax.

Unemployment compensation (including Railroad Unemployment Insurance Act (RUIA) payments),
Social security benefits,
Social security equivalent Tier 1 railroad retirement benefits,
Commodity Credit Corporation loans,
Certain crop disaster payments under the Agricultural Act of 1949 or under Title II of the Disaster Assistance Act of 1988
Dividends and other distributions from Alaska Native Corporations to its shareholders.

When you complete the W-4V form you do not need to provide any additional paperwork. In the process of completing the form, you will need to select the percentage of your monthly benefit amount you want withheld. You can have 7, 10, 12 or 22 percent of your monthly benefit withheld for taxes. Only these percentages can be withheld. Flat dollar amounts are not accepted. Sign the form and return it to your local Social Security office by mail or in person.
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
Q) Hello, I am living here and I applied for adjusting my status after married a US citizen, and the USCIS say they will give me SSN and card after they approve my case I was looking for applying for driving licence they say there is a document you can provide fo ineligibility for SSN card who is ineligible for that? can I get a document ?

A) To apply for a driver’s license, you must show a Social Security Card. If you are not eligible for a Social Security Card, you must show your immigration documents and a letter or form L676 from the Social Security Administration (SSA) that states that you are not eligible.
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
Q) How do I get my Medicare costs taken out of my SS check?

A) If you get Social Security or Railroad Retirement Board (RRB) benefits, your Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) premium will get deducted from your benefit payment.

If you’re a Civil Service retiree and NOT entitled to Social Security:

Your premiums will be deducted from your Civil Service annuity. If this isn’t happening, call 1-800-MEDICARE.
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
Q) My husband and I have gained legal guardianship of our 3 grand kids. Our son died October 24th, 2016 and his children are receiving death benefits through their mother. Their mother is now incarcerated in AZ and says the money will continue to load onto her debit card each month and she will use it when she gets out of prison in a year. We need these benefits for these kids now for school tuition and other needs. How do we get these benefits transferred to our names??

A) According to the Social Security Administration as the legal guardian you can apply for the children’s social security benefits.

You can apply for benefits by calling our national toll-free service at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) or by visiting your local Social Security office. An appointment is not required, but if you call ahead and schedule one, it may reduce the time you spend waiting to apply.

You can help by being ready to:

Provide any needed documents; and
Answer the questions listed below.
Documents you may need to provide
We may ask you to provide documents to determine if you may be eligible for benefits for having the child in your care:

Your birth certificate or other proof of birth;
The child’s birth certificate or other proof of birth or adoption;
Your proof of marriage if you are or were married to the worker;
Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status if you were not born in the United States [More Info];
U.S. military discharge paper(s); and
W-2 forms(s) and/or self-employment tax returns for last year.
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
Q) My wife is in the United States as an Alien Resident with an Immigrant Visa foil in her passport. Her Green Card and Social Security Card are being processed and should be in the mail to us within 120 days. The visa in her passport clearly states that she may live, work, and study in the US and that the visa acts as her green card until it arrives in the mail. However, applying for a NAF position in the USAF (I’m active duty) they’re asking for a Social Security Number. Is there any way to get a temporary SSN or a letter stating what her SSN is, just until her official SSN card comes in? Thanks for your help.

A) You will not be able to get a temporary social security number but you can get a Temporary Social Security Card Print Out. Usually it can take up to 120 before you get a social security card in the mail. You can visit your local social security office and ask for a social security number printout. This print out can be used until the card has been sent to your home. For security reasons you can’t generate this print out online. You will need to visit your local social security office and request this print out.
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
Q) What paperwork do I need to bring in order to discuss when to start my social security benefits and widows benefits?

A) The Social Security Administration will need to see certain documents in order to pay benefits and help decide how much your benefits you are entitled to. The documents you’ll need will depend on the circumstances of your claim.

The documents they may ask for to apply for Social Security Benefits:

Your Social Security card (or a record of your number);
Your original birth certificate or other proof of birth (You may also submit a copy of your birth certificate certified by the issuing agency);
Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status if you were not born in the U.S. (more info);
A copy of your U.S. military service paper(s) (e.g., DD-214 – Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) if you had military service before 1968; and
A copy of your W-2 form(s) and/or self-employment tax return for last year.
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
Q) I am required by my job to complete a 1-9 form. I have been told that I can no longer us my social card with my driver license as a former of identification I will have to get my a pass port or give a copy of my birth certification.I have been working on my job since 1987. It pointed out to me that the bottom of my social card that it can not be used as a form of identification, when it have been used to get my driver license, purchase my home, open up lone s,to get a pursing permit,numerous time sharing purchases,fishing, and hunting permits,along with various other legal adventured. Thus far on the back of my social security card it state to show it to your employer. I would like to know is it true that I can no longer use my social security card as a form of identification. Please explain the reason why I can no longer use my social security card as a form of identification on my job to complete the 1-9 form.

A) Please visit for information on the required documents that Establish Identity and Employment Authorization.

U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport Card
Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-551)
See other documents here

Add a comment...

Post has attachment
Q) I need a copy of my SSD hearing before ALJ O. Eugene Powell Jr in Columbia, SC on or about Sep 26 2007, which is the date of my Notice of Decision – Fully Favorable. For some reason, I have yet to receive backpay all the way back to July 2, 1997, as ordered by Judge Powell.
I would also appreciate any directions regarding where in the Social Security Administration I should address my grievance.
I am in NO WAY objecting to my decision. I simply want to get my backpay. (Note: in my decision, it is noted this decision would result in past-due benefits.)

A) Please contact your local social security office or clerk of the court where hearing was conducted and make your request for your SSD hearing.
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
Q) how can I get a copy quickly of my social security survivors benefits documents?

A) According to the Social Security Administration website – An SSA-1099 is a tax form we mail each year in January to people who receive Social Security benefits. It shows the total amount of benefits you received from Social Security in the previous year so you know how much Social Security income to report to IRS on your tax return.

If you are a noncitizen who lives outside of the United States and you received or repaid Social Security benefits last year, we will send you form SSA-1042S instead.

The forms SSA-1099 and SSA-1042S are not available for people who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI).

If you currently live in the United States and you need a replacement form SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S, we have a new way for you to get an instant replacement quickly and easily beginning February 1st by:

Using your online my Social Security account. If you don’t already have an account, you can create one online. Go to Sign In or Create an Account. Once you are logged in to your account, select the “Replacement Documents” tab;

Calling us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.; or

Contacting your local Social Security office.

Add a comment...
Wait while more posts are being loaded