So yesterday's +Stone Brewing Co.
Arrogant Bastard Clone from +Austin Homebrew Supply
#homebrew went pretty well, despite a massive boilover that cost me about a pint of wort.
The OG for this is 1.072, and my hydrometer (adjusted) said that I was way under at 1.066, but I'm hopeful that the top-up water and wort hadn't completely mixed together (happens frequently with extracts for me) giving me a slightly lower reading than I expected.
Oh, also? I freaking love
the way amber extract smells, and Chinook hops make me happy in the face.
Anyway, I did a few things differently this time around than last time. When my boil was over, I added a gallon of cool water to the kettle while the wort chiller did its thing, I'm not sure how this will affect the final beer, but it made sense to me at the time. I whirlpooled, then siphoned from the side to collect the wort, instead of pouring straight through a strainer.
When I was finished with the siphon, and there was about an inch left in the kettle, I poured what was left through a strainer to catch the hop trub. Then I cycled the wort through that strainer a few times from bucket to bucket, to really aerate the hell out of the it. There were close to 3 inches of foam on top of it when I was done.
I didn't make a starter like I usually do for high gravity beers, but I kept WLP051 out on the counter for about 12 hours, and double pitched at 78*. It's been about 17 hours, and I don't see any bubbling, but the lid of my bucket is starting to show signs of positive pressure, so hopefully the yeasties will go to work soon. It's in a swamp cooler at about 72*, which is just about where I want it (68 would be fantastic), and about as realistic as I'm going to get since it's a million freaking degrees here in LA this week.
I'm going to do this as a week-long single stage fermentation, according to John Palmer's books, to see how that makes things work, and keg it instead of bottling it.
Yay for beer! Beer is good! It goes down, down into my belly!