I am truly excited about some of these developments in a way that I've not been since the original Internet explosion. Fascinating times!
See also: http://www.youtube.com/user/BostonDynamics
I've assigned a custom URL to a page, is there a way to transfer it to a profile or another page? (I was so excited when I saw the prompt that I didn't notice which page I was logged in as... sigh).
- LX VenturesManaging Director, 2013 - presentLX Ventures launches, integrates and acquires early stage high growth companies in the Financial, Health and Advertising technology sectors. As LX's Managing Director and Master of Technology, I'm responsible for the overarching technical landscape and making sure that we get the make the best use of our stellar resources and minds. LX Ventures is a publicly traded incubator that launches, integrates, and acquires early stage high growth technology companies. LXV is a group of entrepreneurs dedicated to developing the next generation of entrepreneurs by providing funding, resources, mentorship, and access to our global network. LXV is in the business of building businesses. For further information about LX Ventures, its technology, collaborations and partnerships, please visit: www.lxventures.com
- Mobio Technologies Inc.VP Engineering, Chief Architect, 2011 - 2013Cloud deployments, devops automation and the challenges of a lean startup development shop fill most of my days. If I'm daydreaming at Mobio, it's probably about game theory, stats or new ways to use the cloud.
- Dominion EnterprisesIntegration Architect, 2011 - 2011In this broad position my time was split between moving groups within Dominion into more scalable technologies, making sure the right mix was chosen, and getting my hands dirty implementing and testing. I did all the cloud bits for DMM as well as security and DRP during my brief stay there.
- Cambrian HouseVP Technology, 2008 - 2010I led a turn around team at CH, taking their existing platform and recasting it into a commercialized crowdsourcing platform. I ran the Agile development efforts with my other team members and built some very cool technology. We had a great group of people and fascinating technology that was a pleasure to take to market.
- GalaxytelecomHacker, 2008 - 2008Dipped my toes in VOIP and spent time reforming code bases.
- CognetoCTO, Founder, 2006 - 2007I was a founder and one of the key fundraisers for Cogneto. We tried to bring cognitive biometrics to market in a very challenging security spending climate. I led the effort to bring deeply user-centric design and high security programming together to improve security and make it enjoyable. I loved Cogneto because I touched almost all the facets of building a first-rate startup.
- Adzilla New MediaSr. Software Architect, 2004 - 2006I ran the development shop at Adzilla as part of a turn around effort. I personally built a gigabit speed traffic analyzer and modification pipeline (think deep packet inspection, but better). We did some amazing things with our technology but sadly, the advertising space is a very hard place to play ethically and we lost the battle in the end.
- University of Dundee, ScotlandHigh Performance Computing Manager, 2002 - 2004Big networks, massive infrastructure and fascinating projects! I designed and built large-scale SAN infrastructure, high performance computing clusters, very fast secure networks and the software to manage them all. I was also involved in helping researchers move wet research to cluster computing. And it was in Scotland so there was lots of good beer and Scotch.
- GT Group TelecomSr. Ecommerce Architect / Mgr. of PKI Development, 1997 - 2001I spent a lot of time at GT building and managing the PKI infrastructure - from designing the shielded physical vaults we used to running the CA and writing software to use it. I was also involved in our national security efforts and did internal pen tests and social security audits. I wrote packet billing software that was used for over ten years to collect and generate billing data for IP flows.
- Blackcat SystemsOwner, 1994 - 2013My private consulting service. Hacking, security and performance optimization, and technology alignment.
- Axion InternetSystem Administrator / MIS, 1996 - 1997I loved running one of the last major dial-up ISPs in Vancouver. It was a logical continuation of my old days running BBSes, only with MORE modems and a much bigger pipe. I was responsible for the technology and the support teams which meant that I was personally involved in feeling the effects (good or bad) from each little change. At one point I had our Usenet server in the top 10 worldwide.
A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible. There are no prima donnas in engineering. -- Freeman Dyson
Everything I do these days seems to straddle the boundary between the new and the old. I'm currently living and working in beautiful downtown Vancouver. My real work experience is just like the below... only better with more cool technologies, a variety of nutty co-workers, lessons in code, love and life... and crammed with cowboys and sizzling gypsies. And a small Operetta too but I don't talk about that unless there is a lot of beer involved, sorry.