1. Caffeine Can Kill YouBut you'd have to drink 80 to 100 cups in a hurry, health experts say. We advise not trying.
2. Coffee Can Be Good For YouA study shows that Americans get most of their antioxidants from their daily fix of java. One to two cups a day appear to be beneficial. Or, if you don't like coffee, try black tea, the second most consumed antioxidant source. Bananas, dry beans, and corn wrap up the top five.
3. Caffeine Might Boost Female Sex DriveIt worked on rats anyway. But researchers say in humans, coffee might enhance the sexual experience only among people who are not habitual users.
4. Caffeine Might Cut PainModerate doses of caffeine — the equivalent of two cups of coffee— can cut post-gym muscle pain, a small study found. But the research was done on people who were not regular coffee drinkers.
5. Caffeine Can Indeed Keep You Up at NightHealth experts advise avoiding it for 6 hours before bedtime.
6. Decaf Coffee Has Caffeine!If you drink five to 10 cups of decaffeinated coffee, you could get as much caffeine as from one or two cups of caffeinated coffee, a study found.
7. Decaffeination Uses ChemicalsBeans are steamed, so that dissolved caffeine rises to the surface, where it is washed off using an organic solvent called methylene chloride.
8. Caffeine Is Not The Bitter CulpritCaffeine is not the main bitter compound in coffee. Rather, the pungent perpetrators are antioxidants.
9. Great Coffee Depends on Roasting and BrewingWhen it comes to great flavor, coffee chemistry boils down to roasting and brewing. During roasting, oil locked inside the beans begins to emerge at around 400 degrees. The more oil, the stronger the flavor. Caffeine content goes up as the water spends more time in contact with the grounds, so regular coffee often has more of it than espresso or cappuccino. Darker roasts also yield more caffeine.
10. Coffee Was Discovered by GoatsA millennium ago on a mountainside in Africa, a herd of goats kept a shepherd up at night after feasting on red coffee berries. The shepherd took his animals' discovery to some monks, and very long prayer sessions ensued. It's a good story, anyway.
First Seen Here: http://bit.ly/Y7i0dp
Art by Jillian Nickell
Thanks to Anatomy in Motion
A Celebration of All Things Coffee! - Espresso, coffee, Nescafe, Jura, barista tips, Saeco, Krups, coffee shop, K-cups, Starbuck coffee, Caribou, Green Mountain, expresso, Costa Coffee, Bialetti, coffee bean news.
Take A coffee break because we also cover coffee makers, kopi luwak (civet coffee), best espresso machine reviews, Gloria Jeans, perfecting crema, coffee machines, Gaggia, Irish coffee recipes, coffee maker tips, coffee cake recipes, how to buy a coffee machine and coffee grinder, premium coffee beans, baristas skills, Rancilio Silvia, green (unroasted) coffee, Kona, Kenya AA, Ethiopian, Brazil and more!
Stay up to date on espresso news, Italian coffee, coffee pods, best espresso machine reviews, Rancilio, Senseo coffee, Faema, Fair Trade coffee beans and organic farming.
We appreciate Blue Mountain coffee, espresso k-cups, Turkish coffee, Gloria Jeans, iced coffee recipes, best coffee beans, cappuccino machine reviews, the Delonghi coffee maker and even the misspelled esspresso and expresso.
We cover all types of coffee from Starbucks instant coffee to coffee roaster tips, coffee press, best espresso coffee, Impressa, coffee grinders, Folgers, Gaggia Titanium, coffee shops and more.