Hmm, so I saw this little guy and it got me thinking...
Hmm, this post is a little confusing. It appears to be trying to shine a bad light on republicans, showing them smiling and thumb-upping rapists. And yet I think Rick Santorum is spot on with his quote. I mean, when you look at the alternative, why would you take a bad situation and try to make it worse? Just makes sense. So why not go down and give some thought to each:
1) First one, hinges all on the "IF inevitable". Which doesn't mean you try to attract rapists with a wink and a smile and wander off alone. By all means, knee the groin, gouge the eyes, pepper spray, even rip his throat out, whatever you can do to deter the rapist. But IF it's going to happen anyways, don't make it worse, kinda ties into 3 but I think that one's dealing more with post-rape.
2) Everyone probably has different idea's of what "legitimate" means here. And it's probably meant to insinuate that he thinks some forms of rape are okay. Well obviously they aren't, so more likely it's meant in the technical sense which would mean the girl has no sexual attraction and is not aroused, the rest is either biological fact or not. And facts are facts, no matter who says them.
3) How can you make rape worse? Who knows, but don't try. It's one thing to have a bucket of manure dumped on you and another to lay down and roll in it.
4) This one is straight slander against God. Knew would happen, yes. Allowed to happen, obviously. Intended? Not a chance. I'm not going to defend this guy with such a messed up theology. HOWEVER God does have a way of turning our low points in life around.
5) Again, either a fact or not. If this is actually true it's probably liberals who put them there (I know they tend to care more about nationwide health coverage)
6) Once again, all tied in with the little "if" word. He's not saying either one is good or right, just calling out the abortionists. If people treated abortion like they treated rape there wouldn't be dumpsters with signage saying "no babies". If people treated rape like they treat abortion we'd get state-funded condoms in the mail.
I think everyone agrees rape is wrong, the big disconnect in people's views comes from "degrees" of wrongness and the place of control. In general, republicans tend to have high conscientiousness which means that they focus on their own actions. Rape, just like many other things, is wrong. Therefore don't do it and stop it if you see it going on around you. Just like a theft. The focus of control is on the self: "Rape is wrong, I will not do it. Theft is wrong, I will not do it." You get a world like that and poof no more rape, or theft.
Conversely the liberal view tend to be more on control of society (not like mind control [or a poor attempt at one]) with varying degrees of wrongness. State sanctions etc... Instead of a personal responsibility for one's actions it's a social responsibility. Theft is wrong, but not as wrong as rape. So we'll give you 10 hours community service for the one, and 10 years jail for the other. Then the individual just has to think how well they can deal with consequences, if they get caught.
That's more than enough rambling from me on the topic.